Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.01 Beta 1 Public Beta

Ah what the heck, I was only 60% done with updating my presets...might as well get a jump start on the new release :) I'm excited to see if/how the Friedman BE's sound in this version.

Add me to the 98% who love this one. Just from the few minutes I've played with it, it sounds like it's smoothed over some of the harshness in my presets and polished them a little. Sounds really good!

Did a little tweaking across some of my main presets, but honestly it's hard to tell how much because they've all been a work in progress since the Cygnus update. I did just dial in what's easily my favorite bass tone I've gotten yet, using an Ampeg Porta Bass and the Triple Crest 1 model. Can't wait to track something after dinner with it!

So, I stuck the new firmware beeeeta in there and was playing along with Pandora for a few minutes. Monkey Man came on. I thought to myself, "Self, I know just the preset for that." So I scrolled through the presets in my AxeFx and dialed up the cranked SVT and got my ya ya's out....

https://v-z-a.com/sites/default/files/audio/2021-05/20210506 - MonkaaaaaaaaayProject.mp3

PRESET LINK (right-click, save as)

Really liking the rawness in the new Cygnus firmware. Playing the SVT preset today makes me want to open up the old Ampeg Gemini I and replace the tone stacks' iffy "integrated circuit" RC networks with discrete components, so that it doesn't have the intermittent crackly bright/dull thing going on due to whatever is loose inside the "integrated circuit" thingies.... Neither is exactly a cranked V4 (supposedly what they were using around that time, and one of my "ones that got away" as well), but deffo in that family, and can get the old blues/jazz sound, or pretty close to late-'60s/early-'70s Stones sounds. Maybe if I get it sounding good enough and Cliff agrees, I'll send it in for Cliff to do his magic on, and you all can enjoy it too....

Last edited:
I'd like to think the ideal modeler starts with the model being 100% warts-and-all identical to the tube amp, but from there you can adjust it however you like, including being able to make it as bright/dark/vintage/modern/overpowered/underpowered/Low-Fi/Hi-Fi/idealized sounding as you want it to be.

As long as the models keep getting more accurate and the advanced parameters keep allowing us to dial in the amp to whatever state we want it to be in from that more-and-more accurate starting point, that seems like a good thing to me.

I use the Axe FX right now to practice. For that, I always just want to feel like I've got a fantastic tube amp right next to me, warts and all. The Axe FX completely does that. And of course, when it's time to record, I can alter the hell out of it to make it fit a mix, but I've never seen anything that can go in the opposite direction, providing something mix ready off the bat, but that also allows you to feel like you're actually playing through an amp in the room. Those are my two cents. Hats off to Cliff and the other FAS engineers.

I had an interesting issue on switching scenes and get not a pop, but a harsh clipping. I really should upload my preset and a recording, but I’m having internet issues (only have mobile until next week).

I have my amps set up in parallel (muted when not in use). when I switch from a CCV 2A on amp 2 to Archean Bright on Amp 1 with a scene switch, a horrible clipping ensues when mid chord. No other amp combination does this and only CCV to Archean Bright, not other way around.

Furthermore, if I have a drive turned on in front of the CCV (I think it is an SD-1) and switch to Archean, no harsh clipping..... strange.

Don’t get me started on my internet situation, this would be so much easier to explain if I could just upload the preset

I had an interesting issue on switching scenes and get not a pop, but a harsh clipping. I really should upload my preset and a recording, but I’m having internet issues (only have mobile until next week).

I have my amps set up in parallel (muted when not in use). when I switch from a CCV 2A on amp 2 to Archean Bright on Amp 1 with a scene switch, a horrible clipping ensues when mid chord. No other amp combination does this and only CCV to Archean Bright, not other way around.

Furthermore, if I have a drive turned on in front of the CCV (I think it is an SD-1) and switch to Archean, no harsh clipping..... strange.

Don’t get me started on my internet situation, this would be so much easier to explain if I could just upload the preset
Really need a preset.

We don't need a recording, but without a preset we have to guess. If you can export the preset then zip it, it's a very small file making it a quick upload, even over a mobile connection.

Back
Top Bottom