Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Is it normal for Fractal to release a major modeling update without tweaking factory presets? I’m just asking because I ordered an Axe Fx III today and was told that the firmware will be pre-Cygnus because the presets aren’t done yet.

It seems that Cygnus also improved bass amps. My svt sounds just insane now! Also added some recto sounds to my (real) Friedman sounds here:

Nice! That’s probably my favorite Sum 41 one song. I agree with the bass amps sounding great. I have been using the Cygnus SVT at church recently and it is stellar. Everyone else in the band/FOH agrees!

Is it normal for Fractal to release a major modeling update without tweaking factory presets? I’m just asking because I ordered an Axe Fx III today and was told that the firmware will be pre-Cygnus because the presets aren’t done yet.
Think about it for a second. As a customer, would you want presets that would not sound as good since they have not been idealized just to have the latest firmware in your shiny new toy? Don’t you think if they were shipped that way that some customers wouldn’t say “this thing sucks” and either complain or just send it back?

And if you are Fractal, are you going to not ship out product and make a profit just waiting for new presets to be ready?

What they are doing makes total sense to me.

As long as I can remember, any updates to factory presets done because a FW introduced major changes into the modeling were uploaded AFTER FW release, I can't remember any occasion were they were released along the FW. Most presets are done by people collaborating with FAS, not necessary by employees. So they have to work with what has been released so far, I don't think they're given official FW in advance with the sole purpose of re-tweaking the presets, unless they're part of the private beta team.

For me, seems absolutely logical to ship new units with FW 15 pre-cygnus when the presets aren't updated yet.

Last edited:
Think about it for a second. As a customer, would you want presets that would not sound as good since they have not been idealized just to have the latest firmware in your shiny new toy? Don’t you think if they were shipped that way that some customers wouldn’t say “this thing sucks” and either complain or just send it back?

And if you are Fractal, are you going to not ship out product and make a profit just waiting for new presets to be ready?

What they are doing makes total sense to me.
As long as I can remember, any updates to factory presets done because a FW introduced major changes into the modeling were uploaded AFTER FW release, I can't remember any occasion were they were released along the FW. Most presets are done by people collaborating with FAS, not necessary by employees. So they have to work with what has been released so far, I don't think they're given official FW in advance with the sole purpose of re-tweaking the presets, unless they're part of the private beta team.

For me, seems absolutely logical to ship new units with FW 15 pre-cygnus when the presets aren't updated yet.

All this is true, but doesn't really answer the OP's question.

OP: new preset iterations have generally followed behind new firmware. Yes.

Too bad I cannot love this twice over! First watched it in about 4 sessions, and today just went through it to take notes. Pulled the trigger on updating to Cygnus (the god of balance you shall be!) and will spend time this weekend updating my 16 or so presets I use live!
How does Leon get the "Ragdoll" name in AxeEdit to the left of the firmware version?

I'm not one of the people who normally gush over firmware updates. Sometimes it doesn't sound better to my ears. Sometimes it's just a bit different. But I have to say this is an a significant step forward. Dang it sounds great. All my amps sound and feel head and shoulders better. I didn't know there was that much room for improvement. I know this thread is 43 pages deep and my post will be absorbed like tears in rain but I just had to say my bit. Bravo Fractal!

I'm not one of the people who normally gush over firmware updates. Sometimes it doesn't sound better to my ears. Sometimes it's just a bit different. But I have to say this is an a significant step forward. Dang it sounds great. All my amps sound and feel head and shoulders better. I didn't know there was that much room for improvement. I know this thread is 43 pages deep and my post will be absorbed like tears in rain but I just had to say my bit. Bravo Fractal!
I fully agree. Cygnus is spectacular. I don't know how anybody could classify this update as just another one among many. This time around, it's really a significant step forward, much more so than previous firmwares, but you got to put in the work first. Start from scratch and build your tone from the ground up. Don't just use an existing preset with a refreshed amp block.

The amp models are now pretty damn close, tone and feel wise, to real amps through reactive loads. That's good enough for me.

I fully agree. Cygnus is spectacular. I don't know how anybody could classify this update as just another one among many. This time around, it's really a significant step forward, much more so than previous firmwares, but you got to put in the work first. Start from scratch and build your tone from the ground up. Don't just use an existing preset with a refreshed amp block.

The amp models are now pretty damn close, tone and feel wise, to real amps through reactive loads. That's good enough for me.
This!
Personally I would say that Cygnus is a new Milestones in Amp Modelling.

Am I the only one, who can not make a mute for an amp block when using two amp blocks in parallel? This problem with 16.00.

I will try again. Now there is no way to post a preset. In axe edit I can select only the block bypass, but I don't see the mute. Mute isn't there now?
On the lower right. The bypassed Amp block is likely on thru currently.

I will try again. Now there is no way to post a preset. In axe edit I can select only the block bypass, but I don't see the mute. Mute isn't there now?
Try selecting "Refresh after new FW" from this menu?

1620491939313.png

Mute is definitely an option on the AMP block here.

Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.39.28 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom