Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

This. We do the best we can, but there’s no such thing as perfect leveling. Play my Les Paul across a dozen leveled presets, and they all seem leveled. Play my Tele over those same presets, and they’re not leveled any more.
It's only possible to level them for one particular output level. As soon as you change guitars to one with higher (or lower) output pickups, the clean stuff will be louder (or quieter) than the distorted stuff.

Expecting presets made by others to work out of the gate with no adjustments to suit your own guitar(s) is a recipe for disappointment....

This. We do the best we can, but there’s no such thing as perfect leveling. Play my Les Paul across a dozen leveled presets, and they all seem leveled. Play my Tele over those same presets, and they’re not leveled any more.
Hey, you got you a Les Paul? I thought you just played Austins......that’s great!

Reactions: Rex
Hey, you got you a Les Paul? I thought you just played Austins......that’s great!
I just used the word “Les Paul” for convenience. It’s actually an Austin copy of a Les Paul.

I work on multiple Les Pauls every week in the shop. They’re nice and everything, but it’s rare that I’ll pick one up and think, “Man, I wish I was playing this instead of what I’ve got at home.”

I just used the word “Les Paul” for convenience. It’s actual an Austin copy of a Les Paul.

I work on multiple Les Pauls every week in the shop. They’re nice and everything, but it’s rare that I’ll pick one up and think, “Man, I wish I was playing this instead of what I’ve got at home.”
Well, I guess it’s a good thing you don’t get ahold of my Les Paul then......I’d probably never get it back! lol

I don’t think I have a single IR shot with a 57 in use right now. I’ve got more experience with a 57 than any other mic in the world on guitar cabs and while I’ve gotten great tones with them in the past, I hate almost every IR shot with a 57 I come across. Lately I’m all about the 160, 421 and 121’s. I won’t even buy an IR pack if it doesn’t have a 160 in it.
I too, gravitate to ribbons in general and the 160 in particular in commercial IRs. Most dynamics have a tonal signature that works or doesn't depending on what you're after: Except for the Beyerdynamic M88: When available it's often my favorite, and if I roll my own IR, that's what I usually prefer. Balance of a ribbon and the punch of a dynamic on cabinets. Works for me, anyway.

Hey, guys! I apologize if I missed this, but where is the Rest Amp Blocks option in the newest axe edit? I can't seem to find it. I saw under Manage Presets? I must be overlooking something..

Understood. But perhaps not the most useful behavior for that tool. Cygnus didn't change it, I'm sure, so the tool didn't need to "revert", well actually, change, it "back" .

The tool is: set everything at default except the controls on the authentic page. Bypass Mode is not on the authentic page. So the tool works as designed / advertised. If you add exceptions, it will add confusion too.

The tool is: set everything at default except the controls on the authentic page. Bypass Mode is not on the authentic page. So the tool works as designed / advertised. If you add exceptions, it will add confusion too.
Understood, but I assume you see my point too.

I did the update, want to reset the amps so I can hear the Cygnus changes. A tool is provided and documented as being for that purpose. Having it change bypass mode in some cases is just an added pain and source of confusion.

Really the only way to make everything clear, and at the same time, make everybody happy, is to provide explicit options for what to keep and reset.

In the Manage Presets window, right-click the preset you want to reset, it should be there.
Awesome! Thank you! Now, I may have missed this too :blush: but if youreset the amp blocks, does it save the changes on your preset? It seems the changes took place, but when I switch presets back and forth, the reseted amp block stuff stays the same as the rest and not the original without saving anything..

Awesome! Thank you! Now, I may have missed this too :blush: but if youreset the amp blocks, does it save the changes on your preset? It seems the changes took place, but when I switch presets back and forth, the reseted amp block stuff stays the same as the rest and not the original without saving anything..
Yes, it automatically saves all presets that you choose to reset.

I did the update, want to reset the amps so I can hear the Cygnus changes. A tool is provided and documented as being for that purpose. Having it change bypass mode in some cases is just an added pain and source of confusion.
I get what you're saying. If you've put an Amp block in your preset, you've already set the Bypass Mode that works in that preset, and it's unlikely that new firmware will change which Bypass Mode you need. So it's working as advertised, but it's a disruption to workflow.

Really the only way to make everything clear, and at the same time, make everybody happy, is to provide explicit options for what to keep and reset.

I get what you're saying. If you've put an Amp block in your preset, you've already set the Bypass Mode that works in that preset, and it's unlikely that new firmware will change which Bypass Mode you need. So it's working as advertised, but it's a disruption to workflow.

On the other hand, if it didn't reset the bypass mode it wouldn't be resetting the whole amp block. If the use case is "I added an amp and changed a ton of settings and just want to get it back to square 1" having it keep whatever bypass state you ended up on would be the behaviour that caused confusion.

Exactly my thoughts.... it’s more a block setting than an amp parameter isn’t it? I get Yek’s point too but I doubt that anyone would complain if block parameters stay the same and only amp/tone specific parameters are reset...

Exactly my thoughts.... it’s more a block setting than an amp parameter isn’t it? I get Yek’s point too but I doubt that anyone would complain if block parameters stay the same and only amp/tone specific parameters are reset...
All of which points to the real lesson here: try to please everyone, and see what that gets ya. :)

Back
Top Bottom