Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Finally got around to updating. I was going to start A/B'ing resetting amp blocks to see how much of an impact I thought it would make. I fired up one of my favorite presets from @austinbuddy (Tiny Terror Orange AX3) and started noodling... an hour later I just think it sounds awesome. Didn't even get as far as trying the amp block reset. I know he's working on dialing them all in and for now I doubt I need to tinker with them. I guess my hearing isn't as refined as some. I spot checked a few others and on a quick listen don't feel the need to modify anything. I definitely will start A/B'ing but on first listen I'm a happy customer so far! Thanks team!

Holy... Just got lost for over an hour playing palm muted powerchords 🤣.

Pi Fuzz --> 59 Bassman (w/ York audio cab) fairly cranked... You gotta try it. The way this thing "craps" out is just heaven to my ears. 😂
Add a FAS Vibe infront of the Pi Fuzz for even more craziness. Time to go change my pants.

The 5153 pack is maybe my favorite set of IRs ever. I thought I hated 421s until I started experimenting with the vintage ones in that pack.
NO!! Sennheiser MD421U — best dynamic mic ever. I’d you can’t do it with a 421 you probably shouldn’t be doing it…
😁

I hate the SM57. Too raw and gritty. Maybe that's the reason why, as I grow older, I dislike the tone of many of my favorite guitarists :D
I did for a long time, as I was generally hearing it alone, rather than paired with a 160 or 121 to fill in some of the deficient lows. They have a nice presence-y sparkle, but the lows are a bit lacking. The e609 has a similar tone, but is a little less bass-shy, and has the distinct advantage of being a side-address mic, which allows it to take up less room in front of the amp when space is tight....

that will be a pleasure to test the new stock presets coz' they often are quiet good for a starting point

that will be a pleasure to test the new stock presets coz' they often are quiet good for a starting point
I agree. Especially for amps you are unfamiliar with.

It bugs me when people say just turn some knobs until it sounds good. Do you know how many knobs this thing has? Lol And how they correlate with each other? It's like trying to guess the passcode on a thousand digit briefcase. Or trying to touch your phone screen in the exact spots to have a pizza show up at your house. Or the Fed's. 😂

I did for a long time, as I was generally hearing it alone, rather than paired with a 160 or 121 to fill in some of the deficient lows. They have a nice presence-y sparkle, but the lows are a bit lacking. The e609 has a similar tone, but is a little less bass-shy, and has the distinct advantage of being a side-address mic, which allows it to take up less room in front of the amp when space is tight....
The 121 is my absolute go-to for cabs. I may experiment blending in a little SM57 or some others just for fun, but the 121 is always the foundation.

I'm also excited for the factory presets too, as they have always been a great starting point, and some resets I've used and left stock for as long as I can remember!

I DO have one request from @FractalAudio for them, which is to have them leveled in some way....that's the only thing that annoys me with what are otherwise stellar presets on a VERY stellar unit

I HATE going between presets and scenes and having to try to level them out. Yes, I save them after tweaking, so I don't have to go through that again, but I don't have time to do them for all, and plus, I'm sure other users have the same issue and would have to spend a similar amount of time leveling them off.

Not complaining or anything, but it would really add that finishing level of polish to presets that are really stellar

Back
Top Bottom