Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

I use York's 5153 for everything and if that doesn't work (rare), York's Bogna.
I have the Deluxe too but that's got a ton of low end, being rumbly amps anyway with not much filtering and I was never a big fan of Oxfarts.
Do you have a particular IR you use the most? Mix1?
Thanks

Do you have a particular IR you use the most? Mix1?
Thanks
I probably have a strange method for this that's become a kind of ritual because I have unmedicated OCD.
Whatever amp I want to use, but particularly if it's a clean amp, I put a distortion in front, then pick the IR based on the high response I want. Besides, I might actually want to use some distortion or fuzz later.
I chose the York 5153 because it has the least negative out of phase sound so many IRs have, like comb filtering that's impossible to get rid of.
I don't use MPT, they sound weird when mixing IRs.
On mixing IRs, I move them off 0.0mm because that number and 33 are annoying and I see them everywhere. 33 333 3333 3333
Just kidding, it's because one or the other will do better in front or sometimes like with the 57m-3 IR for some reason it didn't auto-trim on import.
So I align them not to be perfect because you lose highs, but either to a specific mid response like to harmonize with a snare you like, or to get more highs if the amp is darker. There's an absolutely huge variety of tones in slight alignment adjustments, but usually the closer together the less highs and more mids. It's better than HPF/LPF most of the time, which has it's own phase issues.

not_aligned.jpg

I usually start with one of the first five 57 IRs to get the overall frequency response I want, then add in any other mic that harmonizes and doesn't have comb-filtering phasy tone when solo'd. That way you can pan for stereo, or know one or the other will be great on it's own.
The other reason I chose to use just one cab is because I have over 20GB+ of IRs that I've spent countless dollars on over the years (plus kemper profiles, fugggggg)... I've had enough. I revolted against myself and York won for having clean IRs with little or no comb sound., plus the EVH 20w speakers are good at everything.

I probably have a strange method for this that's become a kind of ritual because I have unmedicated OCD.
Whatever amp I want to use, but particularly if it's a clean amp, I put a distortion in front, then pick the IR based on the high response I want. Besides, I might actually want to use some distortion or fuzz later.
I chose the York 5153 because it has the least negative out of phase sound so many IRs have, like comb filtering that's impossible to get rid of.
On mixing IRs, I move them off 0.0mm because that number and 33 are annoying and I see them everywhere. 33 333 3333 3333
Just kidding, it's because one or the other will do better in front or sometimes like with the 57m-3 IR for some reason it didn't auto-trim on import.
So I align them not to be perfect because you lose highs, but either to a specific mid response like to harmonize with a snare you like, or to get more highs if the amp is darker. There's an absolutely huge variety of tones in slight alignment adjustments, but usually the closer together the less highs and more mids. It's better than HPF/LPF most of the time, which has it's own phase issues.

View attachment 82490

I usually start with one of the first five 57 IRs to get the overall frequency response I want, then add in any other mic that harmonizes and doesn't have comb-filtering phasy tone when solo'd. That way you can pan for stereo, or know one or the other will be great on it's own.
The other reason I chose to use just one cab is because I have over 20GB+ of IRs that I've spent countless dollars on over the years (plus kemper profiles, fugggggg)... I've had enough. I revolted against myself and York won for having clean IRs with little or no comb sound., plus the EVH 20w speakers are good at everything.
That sounds way more sciency than my "Buy some IRs for cabs I like and pick out a couple of the ones I like most for each mic" method.

As someone that's also looking for a handful to stick with at this point, would you recommend I check out York's packs, or is it more a matter of "Just stick with what you've got" here?

View attachment 82490

EVH 20w is probably one of the best speakers ever made and sounds absolutely amazing in 5153 cab, which is a bit darker cab IMO, but works really great for playing loudly.

@Ben.Last Try the 5153 in the factory library and see if you jive with it. Everyone has a favorite sound in their head, kinda like Leon always uses his own cabs in his vids. I find a lot of the factory cabs can get a bit peaky or not in the frequency range I want so the York stuff has been working best for me.
I feel like a shill lol. Maybe he'll give me a lifetime pass.
I should say too what I've been saying since Cygnus; it's way easier to find a good IR now, whereas before I was really struggling with filtering and eq'ing, smooth knob etc.
But I'm tired of going through 100 cabs so 5153 til my ears fall off.

View attachment 82490

I find smoothing with a touch of Proximity is the method I like best to get that comb filter sound to go away. And sometimes reducing IR length helps too, if you don't lose too much low end.

With Cygnus, I feel like I can make almost any of IR´s to sound good, it´s just there. :)
Prior to Cygnus, using ax8 for years and then for a very short time fw 15.01 in ax3, I would always look for clarity and huge sounding IR´s.
I feel like there is no need to look for those qualities anymore, as those are already baked in pretty nicely inside amp block in cygnus fw.

@Ben.Last Try the 5153 in the factory library and see if you jive with it. Everyone has a favorite sound in their head, kinda like Leon always uses his own cabs in his vids. I find a lot of the factory cabs can get a bit peaky or not in the frequency range I want so the York stuff has been working best for me.
I feel like a shill lol. Maybe he'll give me a lifetime pass.
I should say too what I've been saying since Cygnus; it's way easier to find a good IR now, whereas before I was really struggling with filtering and eq'ing, smooth knob etc.
But I'm tired of going through 100 cabs so 5153 til my ears fall off.
I like the York stuff in the factory cabs, but I've been using ML stuff for years and settled on one of the Mega djent IRs mixed with one of the factory Zilla IRs a while back. But that ML pack is pretty old at this point, and I have no clue how much actual variation there is in the IR shooting process, or if I should just stick with what's been working.

I like the York stuff in the factory cabs, but I've been using ML stuff for years and settled on one of the Mega djent IRs mixed with one of the factory Zilla IRs a while back. But that ML pack is pretty old at this point, and I have no clue how much actual variation there is in the IR shooting process, or if I should just stick with what's been working.

If you do like the ML stuff in general I highly recommend the Mikko Plugin. It really is the best idea I've seen yet for IR creation.

I have most of the ML cabs and like them a lot too, and the mikko plugin is a lot of fun.
Why do I spend so much money on this stuff? GAS is the worst.

If you do like the ML stuff in general I highly recommend the Mikko Plugin. It really is the best idea I've seen yet for IR creation.
I'm not trying to make IRs, just get settled on some that work best for me. When I bought these there wasn't the massive amount of professionally produced ones there are now though.

The simplest method is to pick an IR you really like that is clear of comby peaky stuff, maybe it's from a pack or factory library and stick with it. I wish I'd told myself that thousands of dollars ago heh :D

I have to admit that until Cygnus I have never tweaked my presets after a firmware update. So my very dumb question is: If update and leave everything as it is then basically everything will sound like before the Cygnus update, right? Because in order to get the new Cygnus Sound I have to reset my amps, right?

I have to admit that until Cygnus I have never tweaked my presets after a firmware update. So my very dumb question is: If update and leave everything as it is then basically everything will sound like before the Cygnus update, right? Because in order to get the new Cygnus Sound I have to reset my amps, right?
No, I dont think so. There are changes in the dynamics between amps that are much more pronounced now that I believe may occasionallyrequire tweaking whether the amp is intentionally reset or not. ..but SO worth it in the end....

Not exactly. It will still sound like Cygnus, but with some parameters out of their new cygnified default values

Back
Top Bottom