Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

A lot of tracks were recorded with small amps, and later performed with big ones (because volume) approximating the sounds on record. Big amps are a nuisance in the studio, due to the sheer volume at the settings where they sound best....

Yeah Man; it totally makes sense. I've even found for high gain tones that little cabs can just be sooo much better. You just get focused character that's so awesome. Creating the impression of a tone feeling completely massive is a very different thing between live and the studio. Of course, if you go FRFR live, you can use the same methods to create hugeness that you use in the studio.

hey @dr bonkers have you considered making a thread that could potentially get stickied for the bass discoveries you've made with the 3 specifically? It would be handy to bookmark as a favourite and refer new users to as well. I haven't alotted much time to discovering the total bass possibilities with the 3 (compared to guitar), but I find your insights on the subject valuable.

As for Cygnus updates, I've only reset one or two presets but had a good time with my 6160block today.

hey @dr bonkers have you considered making a thread that could potentially get stickied for the bass discoveries you've made with the 3 specifically? It would be handy to bookmark as a favourite and refer new users to as well. I haven't alotted much time to discovering the total bass possibilities with the 3 (compared to guitar), but I find your insights on the subject valuable.

As for Cygnus updates, I've only reset one or two presets but had a good time with my 6160block today.
If the mods are ok with it, I could share more of the results of my experiments.

I have to walk a fine line as a vendor though. For every person that may find such tips and tricks helpful such as yourself, there may be others that find it bad form that I am a vendor posting content about, egads, discoveries that I have made while working on my cab packs. One of the reasons that we have vendor tag it seems is people complaining about vendor content all over the forum.

If anyone wants to pick my brain about stuff, feel free to PM me or email me. I've helped many a bass or guitar player in finding cool ways to do things.

If the mods are ok with it, I could share more of the results of my experiments.

I have to walk a fine line as a vendor though. For every person that may find such tips and tricks helpful such as yourself, there may be others that find it bad form that I am a vendor posting content about, egads, discoveries that I have made while working on my cab packs. One of the reasons that we have vendor tag it seems is people complaining about vendor content all over the forum.

If anyone wants to pick my brain about stuff, feel free to PM me or email me. I've helped many a bass or guitar player in finding cool ways to do things.
But you are also a user... And I think as long as your posts are about "user things" (as opposed to "vendor things") you should be able to post away.

In other words, creating a thread about bass rig tips and tricks should be fine if you stay on that topic and aren't using it to "promote"... Which I don't suspect you would do based on past experience.

That's a very classy and understated amp stand there! Where can I get one?
Sup? :)

Yeah,, those are hard to come by....lol I was swapping around the Preamp tubes between the Savage and the Quickrod that day comparing how they were shaping the sounds all quick and dirty ;)

MOSHON
DAVE

as a non professional musician would love to hear more about this subject in a separate thread.

I hate to say I don't really have anything enlightening to say about it; it's really just personal experience! I think probably some other folks on this forum may more eloquently be able to articulate reasons for this. Not to mention, I'm sure a lot of people would totally disagree with what I wrote; through a long journey of tone, I just found that small cabs just have something special about them I can't name, and a lot of times, to my ears (I have to stress this is the most subjective thing in the world!) when it comes to mic'd sounds, the smaller cabs just sound bigger sonically. I know that doesn't really help, sorry. I'm not professional either, by the way. To investigate this, just work with some random factory cabs that are small and fool around until you get the character you want, then compare with some 4 x 12s. To me, usually the top end and pick attack on mic'd 4 x 12 often get thin. Maybe it's just my guitar, my pick, my pickups...who knows haha.

Is there a disclosed full list of amps that HAVE been updated to the “Cygnus“ algorithm here in the forum?
my “go-to“ everyday practice preset has a JCM800... after updating to 16.0 I immediately made a second copy of the preset, then re-set the amp block in 1of them... now I’m going back and forth and I hear or feel no difference. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I’m thinking this particular amp was not changed yet.. perhaps?
On TGP they replied in a thread where a guy says he hates Cygnus:

The updated modeling primarily affects amps with cathode followers (i.e. Marshalls, etc.), amps with many gain stages (i.e. Boogies, etc) and amps with significant negative feedback. Vox and Matchless amps don't have cathode followers, don't have many gain stages and don't have negative feedback.

@Gl4th lol TGP does it again.

Preamps totally rewritten, bias excursion recalculated, cathode bias rewritten... much more. Maybe there's a changelog somewhere.

Oh, gotcha. Earlier in the public beta threads Cliff talked about redoing preamps and all that. Vox style amps do sound and respond significantly different so maybe I'm just fooling myself, but I like the illusion.

On TGP they replied in a thread where a guy says he hates Cygnus:

The updated modeling primarily affects amps with cathode followers (i.e. Marshalls, etc.), amps with many gain stages (i.e. Boogies, etc) and amps with significant negative feedback. Vox and Matchless amps don't have cathode followers, don't have many gain stages and don't have negative feedback.
Never read “TGP (The Garbage Page)” there’s enough negativity in the world without that crap! It seems the bulk of comments are about dislikes and complaining about stuff they know nothing about!

Oh, gotcha. Earlier in the public beta threads Cliff talked about redoing preamps and all that. Vox style amps do sound and respond significantly different so maybe I'm just fooling myself, but I like the illusion.
I think those differences are due to the new speaker compression algorithm. I feel like that has really helped my playing dynamics and feel with those amps! Personally having tried the betas, my favorite update was the one with the speaker compression!

I waited until final release. Loaded up Cygnus yesterday and man all my worries were put to rest. Everyone talking about it not being as tight need to clean their ears out and start to re tweak their presets. Did some minor adjustments to my main savage 2 rhythm patch and it's crazy how much tighter the chugs are, and definitely more string definition. If anything some of my clean ambient patches were thin and missing low end, so just minor tweaks to bass and depth got me back closer to where it was on 15.01.
I think something must be wrong somewhere because I am not feeling that 'juiciness' that people are experiencing, I watch all of Leon Todd's videos but still feels stiff to play (high gain)

I think something must be wrong somewhere because I am not feeling that 'juiciness' that people are experiencing, I watch all of Leon Todd's videos but still feels stiff to play (high gain)
Little more information needed.....

For starters have you reset the amp blocks? Do you have speaker compression dialed in? Are you on FW16? What preset/s are you using (if it's a custom present you might want to upload here)
What are you monitoring through? What's your signal chain like?

Since you have the "scarlet letter" vendor tag on each of your posts, let each of us make a decision about how useful your information is vs. your status as a seller. Most folks are smart enough to know when someone is selling something.
I think a thread like this would be immensely helpful to users, especially since bass generally gets less attention here.

But you are also a user... And I think as long as your posts are about "user things" (as opposed to "vendor things") you should be able to post away.

In other words, creating a thread about bass rig tips and tricks should be fine if you stay on that topic and aren't using it to "promote"... Which I don't suspect you would do based on past experience.

I second that. We like to learn from what The Doctor says

Affiliations are already displayed at the signature, so there shall be no conflict

Back
Top Bottom