Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Maybe a silly question, but what exactly does the speaker impedance curve do? Like what is the Y axis of the graph that it shows? Is it similar to a flat frequency boost / EQ, or is it something more dynamic? I've gotten great results from fiddling with it, but I don't really have an intuitive understanding of what's going on under the hood

I did the update, and while preparing to do a show using band helper to play tracks and send program/scene changes (with the yamaha MD BT01) no program, scene changes are working. Reverted to 15.01 and it is working. No time to experiment so thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar issue or know what I can try?

I did the update, and while preparing to do a show using band helper to play tracks and send program/scene changes (with the yamaha MD BT01) no program, scene changes are working. Reverted to 15.01 and it is working. No time to experiment so thought I'd ask if anyone has a similar issue or know what I can try?
MIDI channel change on update? Would be weird if that happened, but that's the first thing to check.

Actually, do me a favor and take a full dump of your system settings before updating and after updating? We've been chasing the "systems settings change on firmware update" ghost for years now. They shouldn't be changed by a firmware update.

Maybe a silly question, but what exactly does the speaker impedance curve do? Like what is the Y axis of the graph that it shows? Is it similar to a flat frequency boost / EQ, or is it something more dynamic? I've gotten great results from fiddling with it, but I don't really have an intuitive understanding of what's going on under the hood
Start reading page 13 (Speaker Page) here:

https://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/fas-guides/Fractal-Audio-Blocks-Guide.pdf#page209

Also, read the section on Speaker Impedance Curve parameter on page 18.

I'm pretty sure this is being updated with Cygnus but see near the bottom of this page in the Amp Block Wiki.

Frequency is the X axis and Impedance is the Y. The curves are approximations of certain speaker types. Think of Impedance as AC resistance that changes dynamically as the diaphragm moves, LF, and inductive reactance changes in the voice coil, HF.

Here's a good pic:

main-qimg-c51c4177216fe374ee2e61a35c6c257c (1).jpg

Last edited:
There have been some comments about Ares sounding better and like all FW updates there are substantial changes, I appreciate, that render your old tweaks suboptimal with the new algos. I've gone back n forth with 15.1 and Cygnus and yes I find some presets just sound 'better' (15.1) but I understand the new Cygnus code is more 'realistic' to the real world amp counterparts. It sounds like based on many of your experiences with actual amps that the tone, feel and behavior of these modeled amps is there now. I don't have a lot of experience with all the tube amps we have in the Axe so I'm reminding myself to adapt and just learn to tweak accordingly...

so are some of the main take aways with Cygnus is that since they behave more like the amps they are modeled after...need to keep an eye on Master Volume. old settings had higher MV and now could sound 'fartier'. Lower the MV on higher gain amps especially. Also, adjust things like Negative Feedback and Bias excursion values to 'achieve 15.1' like sounds if desired. and the speaker dynamics are another key improvement.

MIDI channel change on update? Would be weird if that happened, but that's the first thing to check.

Actually, do me a favor and take a full dump of your system settings before updating and after updating? We've been chasing the "systems settings change on firmware update" ghost for years now. They shouldn't be changed by a firmware update.
I'll do that after the show later today... Checking the midi channel was the only thing I looked at and it looked to remain where I had it.

I'm in love with the final release.

Bass players looking for more bass amps in the unit, check out the following with your favorite bass cab IR files and you will be happy:
  • Triple Crest 2
  • Buddha Duo Master
  • Double Verb Normal
  • Solo 100 Clean
  • Fox ODS Deep (especially if you are looking for that Darkglass edge type distortion, start with input drive on 1 and overdrive on 3.5 and tweak to taste - with an FET Preamp block in front adds fun)
  • USA IIC+ Deep Bright (start with input drive on 2 and overdrive on 2)
  • Texas Star Clean
If you need to clean up some frequencies that bug you, use the 5 band Passive EQ in the amp block post power amp and BMT (don't be afraid to get aggressive with the controls).
To really dial in those bass tones: Don't overlook the very useful possibility of swapping out the tone control stack from the guitar amp to one of the bass amp tone stacks (In the preamp menu), Which will change the T-M-B frequency centers or circuit type - and can deliver much more bass friendly response from the conventional EQ controls.

Last edited:
To really dial in those bass tones: Don't overlook the very useful possibility of swapping out the tone control stack from the guitar amp to one of the bass amp tone stacks (In the preamp menu), Which will change the T-M-B frequency centers or circuit type - and can deliver much more bass friendly response from the conventional EQ controls.
4 really useful tone stack swaps that bass players should experiment with if they want to dive deeper:
  • Skyline Deep
  • Leggy/Legato
  • Euro Blue
  • JC 120

interestingly enough after re updating to 16 it's now responding to the midi changes.

I have already tried the betas but I have been sitting here for I guess 3 hours now and I still can't stop playing.

I switched the typical greenback cab in my SLP preset for the #1 pignose and holy moley... that is the most authentic rock tone I have ever had. Not bassy, not hifi, just like an old recording.

Guess the delirium is slowly setting in...

I have already tried the betas but I have been sitting here for I guess 3 hours now and I still can't stop playing.

I switched the typical greenback cab in my SLP preset for the #1 pignose and holy moley... that is the most authentic rock tone I have ever had. Not bassy, not hifi, just like an old recording.

Guess the delirium is slowly setting in...
I'm with you on the Pignose. If you're into that, I also recommend the Silvertone, factory cabs 48 & 49. You don't have to cut the highs or lows at all, just plug and play! Talk about mix ready

I'm with you on the Pignose. If you're into that, I also recommend the Silvertone, factory cabs 48 & 49. You don't have to cut the highs or lows at all, just plug and play! Talk about mix ready
A lot of tracks were recorded with small amps, and later performed with big ones (because volume) approximating the sounds on record. Big amps are a nuisance in the studio, due to the sheer volume at the settings where they sound best....

Back
Top Bottom