Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Congrats FAS team!

I tried the latest firmware yesterday and spent some time today as well to redo (reset all the amps and go from there) my "clean" presets (two presets but six different amps in total).

If anything, just the fact that I was able to fine tune my sounds in no time (just basic controls like TMB, prescence, gain, master volume, bright cap, plus the input dynamics which nowadays set it at 1 on all the amps) says a lot.

I revisted an amp that previously I had liked but not loved ... Definitely liking what I'm hearing with Cygnus on the Carr Roamer

Attachments

• Carr Rambler.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
If you open Tools -> Manage Presets you can select presets and right click and there is an option to reset the amp blocks but leave some settings untouched. Graphic EQ's and input trim are reset though and possibly some other settings I'm not remembering
Everything except what is on each amp's "authentic" page gets reset.

Do you have to reset all of the amps in Cygnus , or can you just fine tune your amps
Thanks
Try them both ways, several of my favorites I did not reset and it kept all my EQ adjustments etc. and with the new Cygnus algorithms they even sound better than 15.01. Other presets of mine, I found that I liked it better when I reset the AMP block.

Listen to it first without reset, then listen to it after resetting. If you like the one without reset, just exit out and don't save.

I just updated to 16.00 and am trying to find info on this AMP RESET feature. I found some, but nothing explaining why it needs to be done. In order to take full advantage of the new algorithms, do the amps need be reset? Is it just because the values of 15.xx may sound different in 16.00 so it provides a fresh start to dial things in again? Any more info we should know?

I just updated to 16.00 and am trying to find info on this AMP RESET feature. I found some, but nothing explaining why it needs to be done. In order to take full advantage of the new algorithms, do the amps need be reset? Is it just because the values of 15.xx may sound different in 16.00 so it provides a fresh start to dial things in again? Any more info we should know?
There is literally TONS of info on this. Check out this thread from a day or so ago with lots of details in the how and why and when.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp-reset-options-what-do-they-do-a-guide.172311/

I understand what it does, I am just not fully understanding the why, unless one wants to dial everything in again. Is it necessary in order to get the full benefit of Cygnus?
It's not strictly necessary, it's just like you said in your first comment. New algorithms and modeling details just mean that the reasons you dialed something in a specific way might no longer apply, and it might be simplest to just start from scratch.

Note: you have to do this thru the Front Panel, not Axe_edit.

Case in point. Plus a very cool Preset! I exported this from 16.0. The amp has not been reset, it is basically a preset that was modified in 15.01.

Import this and listen to it. I only only use Scenes 1 and 4. Save the preset here if you want to get back to this version of it again.

Now, go to the AMP block and RESET the amp. Listen to Scenes 1 and 4 again. You may like the old or you might like the new, but the old one has so many modifications I don't know if I could find them all to apply them again to the reset version, because most of them were done by the infamous Cooper Carter. And the untouched old version sounds great in 16.0 to my ears, many time better than it did in 15.01 due to the underlying amp and speaker algorithms in 16.0

Attachments

• III-Petrucci Rig JP2C NR.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
The same words are used to describe updates since the beginning. Not a bad thing, but repetitive euphoria gets old.

... says someone, who's on the A(xe)-Train for a bit more then two years!?!

It n e v e r gets old!
Because with every update - with every big update, for shure - there is adressed something new, that brings the AXE one step closer to perfection, to the tube amps it models.
I remember selling my beloved Ultra for an Axe FX II. Worlds between them! At this time the II was on FW 6!
Then hit UltraRes Cabs, G3 modelling technology, then Quantum! Goodness gracious.
I got my III with 15.01 and that felt so good.
With every big step I thought: This is too good to be true... and it is quite possibly gonna end sometimes. There will be reached a point, where no big changes are to be made... because it would be technically impossible.
And then hit 16 Beta! ... a new epiphany of TEH wizzard.
And once again I loved the Axe even more.
I'm very pleased and embrace this new FW.

Rock hard, D.

Try them both ways, several of my favorites I did not reset and it kept all my EQ adjustments etc. and with the new Cygnus algorithms they even sound better than 15.01. Other presets of mine, I found that I liked it better when I reset the AMP block.

Listen to it first without reset, then listen to it after resetting. If you like the one without reset, just exit out and don't save.
Are you sure about the cancelling bit?

I thought I found that the preset gets saved as part of the reset. It's already happened by the time you try to cancel.

I thought that made sense, because you can reset multiple presets at once, in which case it would have to save each one immediately.

I'd love to be wrong about that; the option to go back and compare would be great.

Are you sure about the cancelling bit?

I thought I found that the preset gets saved as part of the reset. It's already happened by the time you try to cancel.

I thought that made sense, because you can reset multiple presets at once, in which case it would have to save each one immediately.

I'd love to be wrong about that; the option to go back and compare would be great.
No, when you reset, the EDITED light is blinking. You can simply get out of edit mode and turn the VALUE knob to another preset and back to this one. Of course, you would need to first save the new preset (the original un-reset version that you imported at the beginning, I left that out of the instructions, or just re-import my .syx file again.

Another cool thing to do with this preset (scenes 1 and 4) is switch the amp out to a Solo 100 Lead or a Cameron CCV 2x or a 5153 50W Blue and once again don't hit reset (adjust your output volume to taste)

Back
Top Bottom