Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

So am I really the only one seeing this?

Setup -> Global -> Tone Control Display = Authentic
After installing the release version of 16.00 there are no tone controls displayed for the Friedman BE 2010, BE C45 and HBE 2010 models on the Axe FX. I've reinstalled 16.00 with the same result. I've flipped the Tone Control Display setting to Ideal and back to Authentic, no change.

@FractalAudio @Admin M@ Should I contact support or is this likely just a bug in 16.00? I can't imagine that it's a hardware issue, but I'm surprised no one is reporting it here.

Attachments

• IMG_8087.jpeg
    IMG_8087.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 59
Are you confident it was working immediately before you updated?

A few days ago I started up Axe-Edit and it would not connect. Turned out I needed to go in and select the Midi ports.

I have never had to do that since I started using Axe Fx II in 2013...

BUT... I had a Windows update over night. No idea how or why that could have changed anything, but nothing else had changed.

Have you had a recent OS update?
Wait a second, you had a ‘Windows‘ update?? Do you mean windows on a VM running in Linux? Haha!

to the OP MS-Guy makes a good point here and obviously try a different USB port/cable on your PC. if using a hub, try removing it. Try plugging in a different device to make sure it works as expected. If that all checks out I would contact support.

After installing the release version of 16.00 there are no tone controls displayed for the Friedman BE 2010, BE C45 and HBE 2010 models on the Axe FX. I've reinstalled 16.00 with the same result. I've flipped the Tone Control Display setting to Ideal and back to Authentic, no change.

@FractalAudio @Admin M@ Should I contact support or is this likely just a bug in 16.00? I can't imagine that it's a hardware issue, but I'm surprised no one is reporting it here.
This is a known bug and is fixed for the next release.

I have tone controls for all three. Did you have "refresh after FW update" selected?

I've been on the Fractal train for going on 3 months now. When Cliff posted "I had a midnight epiphany about speaker compression, you guys are gonna love this", and a week later I had that update on my Axe Fx, that just blew my mind.
Pretty much same experience here

Forgive me if I missed this (couldn't find it in the thread). Fractal bot says to wait for Axe-FX to show a message "Update Complete", but it never does. Does it take a long time?

Thanks for any info.

Could I ask a dumb question? For Cygnus, is the highlight parameter to tweak "Speaker Compression" on the amp block? Are there other highlights I should jump to to try?

I've been moving into our new house since Feb and haven't been able to follow along the 12 Beta threads.

Could I ask a dumb question? For Cygnus, is the highlight parameter to tweak "Speaker Compression" on the amp block? Are there other highlights I should jump to to try?

I've been moving into our new house since Feb and haven't been able to follow along the 12 Beta threads.
Yes, that is the marquee feature. It’s found in the ‘Speaker Drive’ tab of the amp block. In suggestions for setting it, I like M@‘s approach seen here:

Post in thread 'Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...us-firmware-public-beta-8.171486/post-2067351

Leon Todd does a great demo of it here:

Finally, here is Cliff‘s explanation of the feature:
“New Speaker Dynamics modeling. The Speaker Dynamics control adjusts the amount of virtual voice coil heating. Higher values result in more heating and commensurately higher voice coil resistance. The Speaker Time Constant will be reset to 2 seconds for existing presets. A typical guitar speaker has a voice coil thermal time constant in the range of several seconds.”

Last edited:
It could be computer side, have you rebooted your computer to eliminate any possible USB driver issues? I hope it gets working for you, those Windows updates can be tricky. Also I’ve heard Fractal support is super helpful if it turns out to be Axe related!
It's something with the FAS USB Audio driver no longer being recognized after FW15. The ASIO device driver for the AFX3 no longer registers as a selectable device. USB to AFX3 works great. No Windows Updates, no USB connection issues with AxeEdit, latest usb drivers and usb firmware installed. Confirmed working great prior to Cygnus fw update.

Yes, that is the marquee feature. It’s found in the ‘Speaker Drive’ tab of the amp block. In suggestions for setting it, I like M@‘s approach seen here:

Post in thread 'Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...us-firmware-public-beta-8.171486/post-2067351

Here is Cliff‘s explanation of the future:
“New Speaker Dynamics modeling. The Speaker Dynamics control adjusts the amount of virtual voice coil heating. Higher values result in more heating and commensurately higher voice coil resistance. The Speaker Time Constant will be reset to 2 seconds for existing presets. A typical guitar speaker has a voice coil thermal time constant in the range of several seconds.”
Ah, thank you sir. That's what I needed to know. 👍

It's something with the FAS USB Audio driver no longer being recognized after FW15. The ASIO device driver for the AFX3 no longer registers as a selectable device. USB to AFX3 works great. No Windows Updates, no USB connection issues with AxeEdit, latest usb drivers and usb firmware installed. Confirmed working great prior to Cygnus fw update.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.
That was it. I thought I uninstalled it properly last night but apparently just reinstalled the driver over the wonky one. Full uninstall via add/remove programs, reboot+verification of uninstall, then clean reinstall did the trick. Now on Fw16 with full access to my DAW using AFX3 as a USB audio interface. Thanks!!!!

This will move some air. I run two JBL PRX712's, set to Monitor with a 1.18db boost at 4618hz on the output eq, I just cranked it and it raised the hair on my arms................ there are 4 different cab channels based on room and how many peeps are in the band - cab A with 6db cut at 100hz in the cab block is my choice and the bass player hates me lol. I did set all the cabs at 12db cut at 100. I use pedals at the front end for more gain.

Attachments

• CORNHOLE 50.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 30
I've been on the Fractal train for going on 3 months now. When Cliff posted "I had a midnight epiphany about speaker compression, you guys are gonna love this", and a week later I had that update on my Axe Fx, that just blew my mind.
It's a train that kept a rolling. It's been that way since before the II and is why we have the III, and will have the IV. Cliff and Fractal Audio have persistently and consistently developed their products while keeping the future in mind. It's good to hear the continued accolades because it reaffirms what we are all experiencing, better feel and control to get the exact tone we want. Every once and a while I go to the Dinning car to relax but if I'm there long, I've got catch up and homework upon my return here. My suggestion, enjoy the journey and take time to enjoy the sites/sounds along the way.

Back
Top Bottom