Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Confirmed. There is a blue indicator on the front panel, but it shows what the numbers already show: fixed at -6 dB.
I get some activity from the meter on the front panel (although perhaps not as much as described by the blocks guide). On the front panel, I'm seeing a meter on the Amp's Dynamics tab called Gain that rests at 0.0dB. I don't see one that's fixed at -6 dB.

I tried cranking Presence, Depth, Master Volume and the Speaker Compression but still don't get much with some amps.

The meter in the Amp's Speaker Drive tab of Axe-Edit doesn't seem to be active, even at extreme settings. There's a meter on the hardware on the Amp's Dynamics tab. Although the Blocks manual says that the default values should give around 3dB of compression, I'm usually seeing under 1dB register on the meter with default values. If I crank the Speaker Compression up to 10, I can see 3-4dB of compression on the meter. Cranking Presence and Depth aren't showing me much effect on the speaker compression either, but perhaps it's amp-dependent.

So, I'd have to hear more about what we're supposed to be seeing. It may depend on several combinations of things. But I'd love to be able to dial it in for all the amps as I like it :).
Same here. Part of this whole Fractal journey for me has been maturing my hearing - the subtleties that a lot of what guys are hearing, I’m missing. I’m just not there yet. That’s why I jumped on your post - b/c I wasn’t sure if it was me not hearing it, or that it wasn’t there.

I get some activity from the meter on the front panel (although perhaps not as much as described by the blocks guide). On the front panel, I'm seeing a meter on the Amp's Dynamics tab called Gain that rests at 0.0dB. I don't see one that's fixed at -6 dB.
Actually, it depends on where the focus is on the front panel. If it's on the top row, you get a fixed blue line in the middle of the range. If the focus is on the bottom row, it does respond.

And you're right: when it's fixed, it's fixed at 0 dB. Gotta finally admit my dependence on glasses. :(

Actually, it depends on where the focus is on the front panel. If it's on the top row, you get a fixed blue line in the middle of the range. If the focus is on the bottom row, it does respond.

And you're right: when it's fixed, it's fixed at 0 dB. Gotta finally admit my dependence on glasses. :(
I sure understand that! I could only read it because I had glasses on. :)

Reactions: Rex
There's a bug in Axe-Edit for the speaker compression meter. Use the front panel for now to monitor.
I'm experiencing a behavior in axe edit and the saturation switch "on" not functioning and occasionally semi-freezing when selected, using windows. "on (ideal)" is fine.

Lost USB input functionality after the Cygnus update. Was working great on fw15. Loading a DAW shows missing input & output ports after upgrading to Fw16. Tried searching the forums for a long time before posting this and all I can tell is 1-2 others ran into the same issue but couldn't find a post resolving it. Thoughts? TIA!

That's EXACTLY my thoughts yesterday after spending a good 45 minutes building brand new sounds from scratch using the amp and cab combos that I use regularly. Not as tight, less bite, and the new firmware just feels like it's trying to create more low end that wasn't needed.
So - you can always stay on firmware 15. It truly does sound great, I love it too. Nothing wrong with it all. There is no law that says you “have to” update firmware.
When you find the sounds you truly love and inspire you to play your best, stay put! Backup everything, then experiment with new, and you can always revert back to your old saved presets and firmware. Love Fractal
Audio for that.

Word of caution on the new Amp reset tool:

It leaves all your settings in the Authentic/Ideal page but if you (for example) use a MESA Mark series amp and its graphic EQ, IT WILL reset the sliders back to zero. Same about the impedance curve. To me, those two values along with maybe the Input EQ should be left untouched too IMO.
I would agree with that and add that the Input Trim and the Input Cut on EQ page would be nice if they stayed untouched on a soft reset...or we had some options we could check for resets... for later maybe! 😎

Last edited:
Lost USB input functionality after the Cygnus update. Was working great on fw15. Loading a DAW shows missing input & output ports after upgrading to Fw16. Tried searching the forums for a long time before posting this and all I can tell is 1-2 others ran into the same issue but couldn't find a post resolving it. Thoughts? TIA!
Also uninstalled/reinstalled the USB driver to no avail. Reverted to 15.01 and the issue remained somehow. All I know is I have a lot of $$$$ in DAW plugins I can no longer access via my AFX3.

ohhh! I bet I need to revert both the firmware and the global settings! will try that next!

Last edited:
So - you can always stay on firmware 15. It truly does sound great, I love it too. Nothing wrong with it all. There is no law that says you “have to” update firmware.
When you find the sounds you truly love and inspire you to play your best, stay put! Backup everything, then experiment with new, and you can always revert back to your old saved presets and firmware. Love Fractal
Audio for that.
True, but if you want to get all the other benefits of the updates like new amp models and fx your out of luck. I don’t get why fractal would do a durastic change to the sound like this when it sounds amazing the way it is. I personally don’t think this update sounds as good as 15.01 and even tried building similar presets from scratch

Also uninstalled/reinstalled the USB driver to no avail. Reverted to 15.01 and the issue remained somehow. All I know is I have a lot of $$$$ in DAW plugins I can no longer access via my AFX3.

ohhh! I bet I need to revert both the firmware and the global settings! will try that next!

Thanks to all w/ links to archived fw. Reverted to FW15 and restored global settings from backup. No change. Any ideas? Was really expecting it to work that time. It appears that the FAS USB audio driver no longer shows up as available in my DAW, or in Windows audio devices.

Last edited:
True, but if you want to get all the other benefits of the updates like new amp models and fx your out of luck. I don’t get why fractal would do a durastic change to the sound like this when it sounds amazing the way it is. I personally don’t think this update sounds as good as 15.01 and even tried building similar presets from scratch
Because their modus operandi is "authenticity".

The models are more accurate now...

Thanks to all w/ links to archived fw. Reverted to FW15 and restored global settings from backup. No change. Any ideas? Was really expecting it to work that time.
Are you confident it was working immediately before you updated?

A few days ago I started up Axe-Edit and it would not connect. Turned out I needed to go in and select the Midi ports.

I have never had to do that since I started using Axe Fx II in 2013...

BUT... I had a Windows update over night. No idea how or why that could have changed anything, but nothing else had changed.

Have you had a recent OS update?

Back
Top Bottom