Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Q
Fender went to a black face plate in the early 80’s for a couple years before the Rivera versions as well.

Some call this the “94 Twin”. It was available mid 1990’s until 2000. The “Mix” control dates it. A very different amp than a BF Fender Twin Reverb. I missed why this made it into the Cygnus thread?

Confirmed. FW 16.00 and Scene Revert in the MIDI/Remote menu is ON.

Here's how to reproduce.

Pull up Factory Preset called Plexi 100W.
While on scene 1 (High), change amp channels to D (1959 SLP Treble model) via Axe Edit or via FC switch (does the same either way)
Now change scenes to scene 2 and then back to scene 1 (amp will be back on Plexi 100W High as expected with Scene Revert)
Now change to scene 4 and the amp will still be on Plexi 100W High (channel A) when it's supposed to be on 1959 SLP Treble (channel D)
You can change to other scenes and back and they revert as they should but anytime you switch between scene 1 and 4 it's messed up.

It seems like whatever scene uses the amp channel you manually change to gets messed up when you switch back and forth with the scene on which you make the initial manual channel change.

So if you are on scene 2 and you manually change channels to C (the one used in scene 3), switching between scenes 2 and 3 then gets messed up between the channels. Sometimes it uses channel B and others channel C. Switching to scene 1 or 4 seems to make it revert, but switching back between 2 and 3 messes up the amp channels again.

Seems to be an issue with Scene revert not consistently working between all scenes.
Got ya! I’m not glad to hear you’re experiencing the problem, but I’m glad it isn’t just me! Hahah I’ve been noticing this since I’ve owned an axe fx iii. Not complaining, as I’m definitely getting by of course and the unit is absulutely incredible; used it at Church this morning and the tones sound and feel great! But, I have experienced this problem since owning an axe iii. You also did a good job of explaining it; better than I did, so thank you! Hahah

Perhaps once this gets sorted, maybe it can be taken a step further to have an option to link amp and cabinet channels together 😬 That would be really, really awesome!

Have folks been getting along with the DIV/13 CJ BOOST post Cygnus?

I have a preset with that as one channel, nearly but not really clean. In Cygnus it's almost broken sounding, on open A string for instance, messy overtones, like something's clipping in a not fun way. Pulled various levels back, which weren't that high to start with, can't get rid of it.

Tried raising negative feedback, helped a little, but that's not what that amp is about.

Ring any bells?

Have folks been getting along with the DIV/13 CJ BOOST post Cygnus?

I have a preset with that as one channel, nearly but not really clean. In Cygnus it's almost broken sounding, on open A string for instance, messy overtones, like something's clipping in a not fun way. Pulled various levels back, which weren't that high to start with, can't get rid of it.

Tried raising negative feedback, helped a little, but that's not what that amp is about.

Ring any bells?
The CJ (non-boost) model has long been my preferred "clean to breakup w/ just the guitar's volume pot" chimey amp in the III, and have found that one to still be a favorite after the Cygnus update. Personally, I never did have have much use for the CJ Boost model, and, agreed, I’ve felt it's got a particular sort of "broken and torn, gated dying fuzz 'character tone'" thing going since the Cygnus update that makes it even less appealing to me (but, also I know that Tweeds are "famous" and "loved" for that sagging fuzz thing when cranked sometimes, so I've just been assuming that "boosted" that quality is accurate and "as intended"? 🤷‍♂️).

So, I guess first suggestion might be to just switch it up to the CJ model in Cygnus and see if you prefer that one instead now. If you've got your heart set on the CJ Boost, might be worth seeing if setting the "PI Bias Excursion" knob to 0% floats your boat or sinks your submarine once again... I see that both the non-boost CJ model and the Deluxe Tweed model (I believe the real CJ 11 is meant to be inspired by a Tweed Deluxe but with a master Volume and a different tone stack) that that PI Bias Excursion knob is 0% not 100% like it is in the CJ Boost, so maybe it's that?

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
The CJ (non-boost) model has long been my preferred "clean to breakup w/ just the guitar's volume pot" chimey amp in the III, and have found that one to still be a favorite after the Cygnus update. Personally, I never did have have much use for the CJ Boost model, and, agreed, I’ve felt it's got a particular sort of "broken and torn, gated dying fuzz 'character tone'" thing going since the Cygnus update that makes it even less appealing to me (but, also I know that Tweeds are "famous" and "loved" for that sagging fuzz thing when cranked sometimes, so I've just been assuming that "boosted" that quality is accurate and "as intended"? 🤷‍♂️).

So, I guess first suggestion might be to just switch it up to the CJ model in Cygnus and see if you prefer that one instead now. If you've got your heart set on the CJ Boost, might be worth seeing if setting the "PI Bias Excursion" knob to 0% floats your boat or sinks your submarine once again... I see that both the non-boost CJ model and the Deluxe Tweed model (I believe the real CJ 11 is meant to be inspired by a Tweed Deluxe but with a master Volume and a different tone stack) that that PI Bias Excursion knob is 0% not 100% like it is in the CJ Boost, so maybe it's that?
Thanks, good to know I'm not just nuts. Will try the PI Bias Excursion change. I tried various parameters folks have mentioned for Cygnus adjustments, don't remember for sure if I tried that one.

From what I understand the CJ11 is based on a tweed deluxe (which changed significantly with Cygnus), and thus behaves like one when overdriven. So what helps with the Tweed Deluxe also should help with the CJ11.

Today i ve tried to update a few presets to Cygnus ...did not managed to get a good result ....
here s an example ....preset attached ...had resetted the amp block with fractool , also tried with Axe Edit and did also a sof reset ,
i had a ....bad resut to my ears ... the preset sound so different and for myself ... the preset sounded muddy , quieter .....
the difficulty is to find the right things to tweak to make it sound even better than in 15.01...
.... It would be nice and great to have a few ideas , hints .......
Fafa

Attachments

• wickedgame2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 13
Today i ve tried to update a few presets to Cygnus ...did not managed to get a good result ....
here s an example ....preset attached ...had resetted the amp block with fractool , also tried with Axe Edit and did also a sof reset ,
i had a ....bad resut to my ears ... the preset sound so different and for myself ... the preset sounded muddy , quieter .....
the difficulty is to find the right things to tweak to make it sound even better than in 15.01...
Fafa
Check post #796, see if that gets you closer to the 15.01 feel.

Fafa
Doesn't sound muddy at here with a strat neck PU. If anything its really bright to me. Output level is fairly hot. Sounds cool though.

Back
Top Bottom