Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 16.00 "Cygnus"

Hi People !
Hope this finds everyone well.
Does anyone have the problem of Axe Edit losing connection with Axe-Fx III ?
It works well in the first 20 or 30 minutes and then connection gets lost, have to restart Axe FX to get Axe Edit connected again...

Got Cygnus 16.00 and last Axe Edit, put a new external powered USB hub, tried different ports, don't know what else to do.
Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks

Hi People !
It works well in the first 20 or 30 minutes and then connection gets lost, have to restart Axe FX to get Axe Edit connected again...

Got Cygnus 16.00 and last Axe Edit, put a new external powered USB hub, tried different ports, don't know what else to do.
Thanks
Try without the hub. I don't know anything specifically about hubs and the Axe, but they're known to cause problems in some situations.

Also the usual suspects: cables, ports, restart all devices.

You could also contact Fractal support, they may have other ideas.

I've been somewhat lax in my activity on the forum, so before we get another monumental firmware upgrade, I'd like to comment on this one. Cygnus has been a great step forward in the feel and authenticity of amp modeling. In my very humble opinion, I feel that the amps have gone further from studio polish to something more akin to what many of us are used to. I have before related Ares to a good friend, while Cygnus is a best friend. While Ares gave us what we wanted to hear, Cygnus is giving us what we need to hear. And that is one of my favorite parts. I feel like I am a more informed tone chaser because of the way Cygnus interacts with me. I have a better sense of what I want and it is easier to achieve those results now than it was before. The amps are more wild and demanding and it is up to me as an aspiring musician to feed that. That in turn becomes inspiring, which leads to emotional investment, which results in music.
We have so much available to us through the Axe FX III and while it is so easy to get caught up in the technical detail that has been painstakingly worked out, I feel like the way I can return such a gift is to let this new amp modeling direct me in a musical way. Then ultimately, write and release that music into the world. And that process has begun after taking a break for a while. It is such a wonderful gift to basically be handed inspiration that helps us get through the day.
Since I do not understand any of the technical process that goes into programming firmware like this, the only way I can express gratitude is from an emotional lens. I recognize that this upgrade has been no easy task for Cliff and everyone at Fractal. So I want to thank you for all the hard work and sacrifice that went into bringing us a free upgrade. I am very proud to support a company that gives so much to its' customers after the initial purchase. That just doesn't happen. So again, thank you.
While it has always been a wonderful time to be a Fractal owner, I think Cygnus has elevated that experience to a new height. And I like the view.

Try without the hub. I don't know anything specifically about hubs and the Axe, but they're known to cause problems in some situations.

Also the usual suspects: cables, ports, restart all devices.

You could also contact Fractal support, they may have other ideas.
Thank you Dave. I did connect directly, same thing, changed cable as well. Some people is having same problem. I'm sure it's PC related.

Hi People !

Thanks

Not sure if you fixed this, but I wanted to +1 about ditching the hub.

Possibly unrelated, but I recently went out of my mind trying to fix a bunch of gremlins in my Win 10 work PC. Mouse and keyboard had a slight lag and hooking up my external dvd drive would reboot the computer.

Found some random windows forum post that mentioned USB hubs causing issues.

Moved my connections to the regular USB ports and everything’s fine.

moral of the story: I spent weeks chasing weird computer gremlins and they were all living inside my powered usb hub.

Not sure if you fixed this, but I wanted to +1 about ditching the hub.

Possibly unrelated, but I recently went out of my mind trying to fix a bunch of gremlins in my Win 10 work PC. Mouse and keyboard had a slight lag and hooking up my external dvd drive would reboot the computer.

Found some random windows forum post that mentioned USB hubs causing issues.

Moved my connections to the regular USB ports and everything’s fine.

moral of the story: I spent weeks chasing weird computer gremlins and they were all living inside my powered usb hub.
It was awhile ago for me, but I had the same problem using a hub. So I moved some other peripherals to the hub and went straight from the Axe FX to the USB Port on the PC board, I uninstalled and then reinstalled the Windows Driver, and I did a cold boot of the PC and Axe FX. The problem was resolved. No issues since.
There was another instance where I had something similar happen that required disconnecting the USB cable, uninstalling the Axe FX Windows driver, removing the Axe FX device from Device Manager, cold rebooting, and then reinstalling the Windows Driver again. It always seemed to happen after a major Microsoft Windows Update. But anyway, these are things to consider after having tried a new cable and making sure not to use a USB hub. USB is notoriously bad at re-establishing data connections once they’ve been dropped. Hubs don’t help.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom