Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.01

I am guessing that several of my presets must have been approaching the CPU limit before this firmware update. I am noticing that now i have quite a few that are giving me a CPU warning( I use a lot of the Austin Buddy Naked Amp presets from @austinbuddy . It should be pretty easy to mitigate, but I just wanted to make sure that what I'm seeing is consistent with other users' experiences. Is anyone else noticing an increase in CPU usage after updating to this firmware? Is this to be expected, and is it due to the improvements in the amp modeling consuming additional CPU resources, or is it due to some other cause?

Guys , let us FM3 folks catch up! :oops:
:) I hear the FM3 on YT a bit, and it sounds great.

Even if it does slightly lag behind the Mothership, it still BURIES the competition.
By a lot.

It has to be a challenge to keep growing and refining these algorithms, and then have to adapt them to a unit with tighter memory/DSP constraints.

Here’s a thread Cliff wrote from 5 years ago regarding bias excursion, might be good to read over to better understand what Cliff’s been up to.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/bias-excursion.99698/

Edit- I really can’t wait to take an electrical engineering course.
LOL, I lost Cliff at "Cathode". That said, I sure am glad that someone who knows and understands tube amps this deeply is the mastermind behind this marvelous black box. I'm really looking forward to seeing (and hearing) what he comes up with next. I was thinking just the other day that I should take my bias out for a nice excursion.

What did John Mayer say? I"m curious because I know a while back he said he liked Fractal but it was lacking something.

What did John Mayer say? I"m curious because I know a while back he said he liked Fractal but it was lacking something.
John Mayer compared modelers vs ‘real amps’ and said that modelers just don’t have that ‘wapoosh’ like you get with a real amp, whereupon @FractalAudio promptly ‘wapoosh-ed’ the firmware to put that complaint to rest. 🙃 He uses an interesting analogy in the interview about a sex doll vs a woman, if I recall correctly. Anyway, we have ‘wapoosh’ aplenty now, so it’s all good.🙂

Last edited:
I need to +1 all of the comments about how pleased I am with the tone after updating to this firmware. I was very happy after FW 11 but it seems this firmware has done a lot to the feel of the amps. I'm finding myself dialing back the gain and some of the Advanced parameters that had been a staple in my presets. I don't know or can't see how much realler the tone can get but I'm excited about the Bias Excursion that's been mentioned recently.

Back
Top Bottom