Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.01

My idea of the alternate string pickup solves this to some degree because typical voicings would have simple intervals on each pickup. For example a 5th chord (root, 5th, octave) would have the root and octave on one pickup and the 5th on the other. The root and octave intermodulation is all harmonically related, i.e. 100 and 200 gives 100, 200 and 300. The 300 is almost a perfect 12th (octave above a perfect 5th) and there's no subharmonic. The 5th is on it's own pickup so it doesn't contribute any intermodulation.

With a single pickup playing 100, 150, 200 (root, 5, octave) yields 50, 100, 200, 250, 300, 350. Lot more "clutter". And a 5th chord is the least cluttered chord (that's why it's so common in overdriven guitar sounds).

Way back when...maybe sometime in the mid-70's, I had gone to an AES Symposium in NYC and saw the first demonstration of the 360 Systems guitar synth system and was totally blown away. I was a young electrical engineer and was bound and determined to build a guitar synth. Of course I needed a hex pickup so I developed* one using Hall Effect sensors mated to printed circuit boards and 'U' shaped magnets to constrain the magnetic fields to lie along the string and minimize pickup from adjacent strings. Of course there's no need for the Hall Effect sensors, magnet wire will work fine, but if anyone wants to try a '2-channel' pickup, 'U' shaped magnets might help to ensure that each 'channel' picks up predominantly the desired strings and very little of the undesired strings. If you give this a try, let us know how it works out.

* U.S. Pat. No. 4,182,213 Jan 8, 1980. Yup, awarded exactly 41 years ago so the patent is way out of date. Have at it!

I am using Genelec monitors that enter a low power mode after a given time and then auto detect a signal and power up. I am now also getting a low pop which isn’t really troubling but given that it is new and heavily reported I imagine likely to disappear in the next firmware. It did inspire me to get the previously mentioned rocknstomp sequenced power strip for better surge protection and a last on first off on the monitors which I do like.

What’s the point in keeping speakers on while you sleep for several hours, or you’re not playing/listening to music for half a day? Just asking, because I think it’s a total, useless waste of energy.

I'm not sure about other speakers, but many nicer Studio monitors automatically enter a low power mode when they haven't seen signal for a while, and turn back on once input signal is present again. The detector circuit would still be drawing power, but probably much less than when the speakers are on. Depending on the desk/mounting setup getting around behind them to turn off the power switch each time on both monitors might actually be annoying.

And I know some local bars with wall and ceiling mounted PA mains that just leave them on instead of getting out a ladder at the start and end of each day.

I'm not sure about other speakers, but many nicer Studio monitors automatically enter a low power mode when they haven't seen signal for a while, and turn back on once input signal is present again. The detector circuit would still be drawing power, but probably much less than when the speakers are on. Depending on the desk/mounting setup getting around behind them to turn off the power switch each time on both monitors might actually be annoying.

And I know some local bars with wall and ceiling mounted PA mains that just leave them on instead of getting out a ladder at the start and end of each day.
I have things on a sequenced power conditioner, makes things easier

Or just plug them into a power strip with an on/off button. I do that with everything and it's just a matter of flicking a switch or pressing a button. No ladder or contortionist techniques required.

A little interesting about the settings! Brian May

Whoa! I didn't know such things as the KIKSUI PCR100M existed! Does anyone have experience with such units?

I was looking into having 220v installed in my garage to upgrade my wood shop machinery (which would cost a small fortune), but if the PCR1000M (10amps), or bigger brother 4000M (40amps) would actually perform in this situation it would be wallet and home remedy saver.

Whoa! I didn't know such things as the KIKSUI PCR100M existed! Does anyone have experience with such units?

I was looking into having 220v installed in my garage to upgrade my wood shop machinery (which would cost a small fortune), but if the PCR1000M (10amps), or bigger brother 4000M (40amps) would actually perform in this situation it would be wallet and home remedy saver.
kiksui stuff is stupid expensive.

kiksui stuff is stupid expensive.
Still cheaper than hiring an electrician and replacing the ripped up walls from running wires to the garage from the fuse box in the center of the house. Do you know of cheaper options that do the same thing, equally well?

I have things on a sequenced power conditioner, makes things easier

Or just plug them into a power strip with an on/off button. I do that with everything and it's just a matter of flicking a switch or pressing a button. No ladder or contortionist techniques required.

That sounds like you're advocating "steps" when the situation I described involves "no steps". Computer goes to sleep and monitors (audio) and monitor (visual) enters low power automatically.

It's a good call for people that are looking for the power savings and making a multi-step process one button instead though.

Pretty quiet in here
maybe a Friday Fiesta coming
While I get that no one is forcing me to keep up with firmware updates, I find it hard not to when they're available and free. I was having a hard time keeping up with all of the firmware updates so I don't mind a break. Definitely feels like a 1st world problem though :sweatsmile:

Last edited:
While I get that no one is forcing me to keep up with firmware updates, I find it hard not to when they're available and free. I was having a hard time keeping up with all of the firmware updates so I don't mind a break. Definitely feels like a 1st world problem though :sweatsmile:

Dunno. I tend to wait a week. 15.X is so good that I'm spending all my time playing. Not even thinking about new updates.

Dunno. I tend to wait a week. 15.X is so good that I'm spending all my time playing. Not even thinking about new updates.
I usually wait a few days to make sure there aren't any major bugs in combination with updating when my schedule permits. I don't find myself thinking/hoping for further updates, but more that if they're available on the forum then I become captivated hehe.

Back
Top Bottom