Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.01

The forthcoming Source Audio Ultrawave pedal splits the signal into 10 bands, then applies compression and distortion to each band individually to try to reduce intermodulation distortion.

Not really, I was just trying to say that "overtones" produced by intermodulation distortion have nothing to do with overtones naturally present in an instrument signal.
Cliff's conceptual pickup would remove just the former
Ah, ok, makes sense!

The forthcoming Source Audio Ultrawave pedal splits the signal into 10 bands, then applies compression and distortion to each band individually to try to reduce intermodulation distortion.
If you search the wish you'll find many multiband request. I have request a band splitter block, so we can build our own ultrawave. Sort of. :) A multibad distortion, or some "clipping" in MBC or eq will do. Check the wishes!

I tried to update to 15.01, from 15.00, last night and when I turned the unit back on there was a constant, fairly loud, HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I could hear the guitar over the hum, but it was there constantly. I tried reloading the firmware, this time I downloaded it from the first page on this thread and the hum was still there. It was showing up on the output meters as well. I reloaded 15.00 and it was gone. Anyone else experience this? I emailed support, but have not heard back yet. Going to try again tonight when I get home from work.

I tried to update to 15.01, from 15.00, last night and when I turned the unit back on there was a constant, fairly loud, HUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. I could hear the guitar over the hum, but it was there constantly. I tried reloading the firmware, this time I downloaded it from the first page on this thread and the hum was still there. It was showing up on the output meters as well. I reloaded 15.00 and it was gone. Anyone else experience this? I emailed support, but have not heard back yet. Going to try again tonight when I get home from work.
Did you try a different preset? if it's just the one preset it's a bad preset. If it's all presets something else is going on. You can also try backing up your system settings and resetting them.

I have only had one hiccup with a firmware update in my years of using any of my Axe FX rigs. When I encountered my issue I rolled my firmware back to see if the issue persisted. In my case it didn't. After re-updating the firmware the problem was gone. Probably just a ghost in the machine but it worked for me and may for you too.

FWIW, i really like this EQ adjustment, applied it to a preset of mine, and it added a nice bit of zing, quite surprised how much differance it made for such small adjustment......

Generally speaking, I detest amp updates as it forces me to adjust all my presets. While I had do some significant changes this time as well, I have to admit I now have the best overall sound and feel I’ve ever had in forty years of playing. Now stop screwing with the amps!

edited to add:

Since someone asked on Facebook, here was my reply:

To get back to where you started, I found this gets you there:

Dyn Pres add 2.0

Dyn depth reduce by 1.5, if starting on zero, reduce bass by 0.4

Cathode comp add 3%

Cath harmonics add 0.1

Cath hardness add 0.3

Add 0.6 to sag

Drop bass by 0.3

Add 1.0 to high treble

In output EQ:

63kz -1.0
125kz -1.5
250kz -0.5
4000k +1.0
8000k +1.0

Power amp hardness add 0.5

Negative feedback add 2.0

If you want the other benefits of an upgrade you must, which creates this quandary. You want the new DS-1, but don’t want to rebuild twenty live presets.
This is probably an unpopular post with most Fractal users, but a legitimate point for gigging guitarists.
Obviously, Fractal will never (and shouldn't) stop innovating. But many updates DO force us to change our settings that we've spent hours shaping. It is time consuming for those of us who have other jobs. And the clever retort "just don't update" does not take into account the need guitarists have for other improvements in new firmware, or the effect some changes have on CPU.
I think I know the answer to this, but I wonder how much extra work it would be to separate usability improvements from amp improvements in FW updates? Like a 16.01a for everyone, and a 16.01b for folks who just want whatever the non-amp-related usability improvement of the week is (Virtual Capo, FC improvements, etc.)? Probably too much time and effort required, especially as Fractal continues to roll through updates at a fever pitch.
One can dream.

Today when I turned on Ax Fx 3 there is no sound at output 1 or at output 4. Only at output 2 and 3. What could have happened?

Fimware 15.01

This is probably an unpopular post with most Fractal users, but a legitimate point for gigging guitarists.
Obviously, Fractal will never (and shouldn't) stop innovating. But many updates DO force us to change our settings that we've spent hours shaping. It is time consuming for those of us who have other jobs. And the clever retort "just don't update" does not take into account the need guitarists have for other improvements in new firmware, or the effect some changes have on CPU.
I think I know the answer to this, but I wonder how much extra work it would be to separate usability improvements from amp improvements in FW updates? Like a 16.01a for everyone, and a 16.01b for folks who just want whatever the non-amp-related usability improvement of the week is (Virtual Capo, FC improvements, etc.)? Probably too much time and effort required, especially as Fractal continues to roll through updates at a fever pitch.
One can dream.

You’d think rock and rollers would be more independently minded, but there is certainly a fanboi cult undercurrent.

Bottom line: I’m CFO of an international company, have a family, a dog, a house and a band, I don’t have time to reinvent my presets twice a month. When I’m in here, chances are I’m on a phone conference!

Something went wrong. Turn it off and back on.

I reinstalled the 15.01 firmware and nothing. I reinstalled the 15.00 firmware and nothing, so I did a reset in the system parameters and the sound came back. Curious why this happened since the last time I hung up everything was fine.

Thanks Cliff for support and your beautiful work! :)

The sound is back but FC-12 is freeze. When I recall the system settings, the output goes out again and the FC-12 works. :eek:

One can dream.

The question is at what point do they do they split? We get 16 A and B, but now what happens for 17? 17 A gets even more amp updates. but what does 17 B get? Is it based on the amp updates of 16 for the people who installed 16A? Or the non-amp version of 16B? Because there will be people that want the 17 amps, the 16 amps, and the 15 amps now. And for version 18 there are now 4 cases. And what happens if there's a bug that only exists in 17 C? Or a bug that was added in 15 B that needs to be fixed in every firmware that's a child of it. Eventually cliff would be spending so much time flowcharting all the different versions of firmware with all the different amp versions that he'd never actually get any work done. Even if you decide that these amp-free versions only go back one version, then you're only delaying your problem by one week.

The reality is that it almost immediately becomes way to cumbersome to try and start managing all these different versions.

Your options are:
a) stay up to date and deal with tweaking presets
b) stay on a previous firmware and live without the other updates
c) Update less frequently, and just do your big re-dial every 6 months or so when you catch up on the last dozen changes
d) switch to a competing platform which only releases updates every 9 months and rarely causes changes to prior models so you no longer have to deal with this decision.

Life is all about trade-offs.

I reinstalled the 15.01 firmware and nothing. I reinstalled the 15.00 firmware and nothing, so I did a reset in the system parameters and the sound came back. Curious why this happened since the last time I hung up everything was fine.

Thanks Cliff for support and your beautiful work! :)
The only time I've ever encountered a problem after a firmware update, since the AXE FXII, is when I use Fractal Bot to actually download and install the firmware. I've never had an issue if I download the firmware from from the OP's firmware post and then use Fractal Bot to install it. I can't explain why I would have an issue, and there may not be one for others. However, since I discovered it, I always download from the OP's post and install, and, since, never had an issue.

The question is at what point do they do they split? We get 16 A and B, but now what happens for 17? 17 A gets even more amp updates. but what does 17 B get? Is it based on the amp updates of 16 for the people who installed 16A? Or the non-amp version of 16B? Because there will be people that want the 17 amps, the 16 amps, and the 15 amps now. And for version 18 there are now 4 cases. And what happens if there's a bug that only exists in 17 C? Or a bug that was added in 15 B that needs to be fixed in every firmware that's a child of it. Eventually cliff would be spending so much time flowcharting all the different versions of firmware with all the different amp versions that he'd never actually get any work done. Even if you decide that these amp-free versions only go back one version, then you're only delaying your problem by one week.

The reality is that it almost immediately becomes way to cumbersome to try and start managing all these different versions.

Your options are:
a) stay up to date and deal with tweaking presets
b) stay on a previous firmware and live without the other updates
c) Update less frequently, and just do your big re-dial every 6 months or so when you catch up on the last dozen changes
d) switch to a competing platform which only releases updates every 9 months and rarely causes changes to prior models so you no longer have to deal with this decision.

Life is all about trade-offs.

Or option e) tell us the antidote so we can upgrade more easily.

For example: if you want your current presets to remain as is, we recommend the following adjustments after update.....

Back
Top Bottom