Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.00

Four?!!! Quadraphonic goodness. Run different delays to each speaker. Use two delay blocks into two output blocks and set all the times a bit different.
I ridiculously have eight monitors (2 hanging rears you can’t see in the picture) and four 4X12 mesa cabinets going out of my apogee ensemble. My mind can’t process the possibilities of what I can do. Is there a patch I can study that puts me in the right direction?

I have this setup because I split the monitors/cabs up in jams for all the different instruments and vocals.

I50635D1B-8217-43CD-B0CC-396598A260A7.jpeg

I just tried this FW and just wow! The low end dynamics and punch/thump are truly incredible. I had previously had to use a lot of dynamic depth to simulate that effect, now it's just built-in and feels so right! The Axe continues to amaze.

I ridiculously have eight monitors (2 hanging rears you can’t see in the picture) and four 4X12 mesa cabinets going out of my apogee ensemble. My mind can’t process the possibilities of what I can do. Is there a patch I can study that puts me in the right direction?

I have this setup because I split the monitors/cabs up in jams for all the different instruments and vocals.

IView attachment 76444

That’s quite a room!!!

Four?!!! Quadraphonic goodness. Run different delays to each speaker. Use two delay blocks into two output blocks and set all the times a bit different.
Was thinking of buying two Friedman ASM-12’s to go along with the A7X’s. And I NEVER thought of this for some reason. Now it almost seems like a no brainer.

I updated to the 14.1 a month or two back (whenever it came out) and a lot of my presets sounded weird. I learned that new firmware can mess with presets, and some of the aftermarket ones I got (austin buddy, moke) do free updates with new firmware. It was time consuming, but I got it done. And many of the presets I got on the forum from user posts weren’t good anymore with no way to update them.

Now 15 is here and it seems like I’ll have to do it again. But is there something I can do myself to tweak presets? I don’t know what
“while the overall tone isn’t significantly changed, the transient frequency response is enhanced which may alter the tonal perception” means or what I’d do to fix it. I did the Cooper Carter course to learn about how to use the axe, but I still really have no clue how to do the advanced stuff messing with all sorts of parameters and knowing what they do.

sorry for my ignorance. I swear I’m not bitching, the axe is awesome. I’m just getting a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for your help,
Joe

I updated to the 14.1 a month or two back (whenever it came out) and a lot of my presets sounded weird. I learned that new firmware can mess with presets, and some of the aftermarket ones I got (austin buddy, moke) do free updates with new firmware. It was time consuming, but I got it done. And many of the presets I got on the forum from user posts weren’t good anymore with no way to update them.

Now 15 is here and it seems like I’ll have to do it again. But is there something I can do myself to tweak presets? I don’t know what
“while the overall tone isn’t significantly changed, the transient frequency response is enhanced which may alter the tonal perception” means or what I’d do to fix it. I did the Cooper Carter course to learn about how to use the axe, but I still really have no clue how to do the advanced stuff messing with all sorts of parameters and knowing what they do.

sorry for my ignorance. I swear I’m not bitching, the axe is awesome. I’m just getting a bit overwhelmed.

Thanks for your help,
Joe
I found that the new improvements affected my cleaner amp sounds most, and required a little bit less presence or treble and a drop in the "Gain Enhancer" from 2 to 1 (on the Output tab of the amp block), but sound is just incredible. Most of my dirtier tones just sounded better with no tweaks.

YMMV, while supplies last, not available OTC in certain municipalities....

I don’t know what “while the overall tone isn’t significantly changed, the transient frequency response is enhanced which may alter the tonal perception” means...
It means that the overall bass/mid/treble balance hasn't changed, but the way that the amp models respond to transients might make it sound like it changed.

Bottom line: if there's something you don't like the sound of, start by making with bass/mid/treble.

Just had rehearsal tonight - 15 sounded great the only tweak I need to do is to tame some of the brightness in my presets on the vox. Easy enough. Not an issue after 2 hours of playing was rock solid.

Now I just need that firmware upgrade for my fingers.

My ignorant $0.0002, after upgrading and playing maybe an hour and a half, EJ strat.

There's definitely a difference but it's hard to put into words. Seems more immediate in general, or something.

On a more nuts and bolts, what did I feel like I wanted to tweak level, two things most often: Output level and depth.

Most of my presets have four scenes with increasing levels of gain. My scene levels, which I've tweaked over time and thought I'd gotten pretty consistent within my main bank, seemed a little bit all over the place. Odd, but easy to fix. I'll take another pass through them tomorrow.

Depth I often wanted to reduce. FW 15 has a different texture in the low end I think. It's nice, solid but still clear after bringing depth down a bit, a little overbearing before I did that. That's likely more a comment about my settings than 15. [EDIT: This was much more a thing on my gainier scenes than cleans.]

Anyway, this is probably all my idiosyncratic hallucinations that have nothing in common with anyone else, but there you have it.

Last edited:
There's definitely a difference but it's hard to put into words. Seems more immediate in general, or something.
If I had to pick one word, that would be it.

Both the presence/sparkle range and the low end thump are clearer and the cleans sound 'faster' and more dynamic....

I can't get over how much better 15.00 sounds and feels. Wow. Mr. Chase, you have completely outdone yourself yet again.

Back
Top Bottom