Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.00 Public Beta #1

I really like the sound of this beta but does anyone else find the JTM45 way more distorted than before! I have a couple of presets with that amp that were really nice & clean before & now they are well into the crunch range.
[/QUOTE

I had to back down my mid tone control and not just with this amp.....

Having the presence taper in the models match the real amps has been my number one wish for the longest time.
Why? Many amps, and the 5150 is one of the worst in this regard, have extremely nonlinear behavior with their presence controls. The 5150 presence control does nothing until about 7 and then starts to take effect. From 9 to 10 it really goes nuts. Wouldn't you rather a control that has a nice, linear response? Why model something that is so obviously flawed?

Why? Many amps, and the 5150 is one of the worst in this regard, have extremely nonlinear behavior with their presence controls. The 5150 presence control does nothing until about 7 and then starts to take effect. From 9 to 10 it really goes nuts. Wouldn't you rather a control that has a nice, linear response? Why model something that is so obviously flawed?

Definitely....ears not eyes.

I'm actually in the process of modding my amp to match the axe, LOL!
Ordered a log pot to put in place of the linear master pot the amp has, the smooth and gradual taper of the axe fx has spoiled me.

I wonder if there's an easy way to fix the presence in the real amp too (it's an hiwatt), it has a kinda strange behaviour: from 0 to 2 it goes from really dark to balanced, from 2 to 5 does basically nothing and from 5 to 10 it gradually adds a lot of piercing highs.

Last edited:
I wonder if there's an easy way to fix the presence in the real amp too (it's an hiwatt), it has a kinda strange behaviour: from 0 to 2 it goes from really dark to balanced, from 2 to 5 does basically nothing and from 5 to 10 it gradually adds a lot of piercing highs.
What value and taper is it currently? 100k? Linear? If so, try an audio taper pot.
Screenshot_20201215-110749_Samsung Internet.png

I'm actually in the process of modding my amp to match the axe, LOL!
Ordered a log pot to put in place of the linear master pot the amp has, the smooth and gradual taper of the axe fx has spoiled me.

I wonder if there's an easy way to fix the presence in the real amp too (it's an hiwatt), it has a kinda strange behaviour: from 0 to 2 it goes from really dark to balanced, from 2 to 5 does basically nothing and f

From 5 to 10 it gradually adds a lot of piercing highs.
This guy has it right!!!!!!
That's the new norm now! Model The Axe!!!!

What value and taper is it currently? 100k? Linear? If so, try an audio taper pot.
View attachment 76304
Yup linear, but I don't think the issue I described is caused by the taper alone since it has that "dead zone" in the middle.
It's probably due to the weird implementation you see on the schematic, basically the presence control has an effect both on the negative feedback and on the signal before the cathode follower.

Last edited:
Having the presence taper in the models match the real amps has been my number one wish for the longest time. Still, this thing keeps getting better and better! Amazing work from the Fractal Audio team:)
Anyway you cut it, the difference between 6 and 7 on a knob is within a 20% tolerance, which most pots have.

Yup linear, but I don't think the issue I described is caused by the taper alone since it has that "dead zone" in the middle.
It's probably due to the weird implementation you see on the schematic, basically the presence control has an effect both on the negative feedback and on the signal before the cathode follower.
The dead spot is likely due to the resisance being higher than needed to make the treble rolloff minimal on the low end of the control. Perhaps a 50k audio? Maybe tie a 50k to 100k resistor between the treble rolloff side of the pot and the grounded center lug?

Last edited:
The dead spot is likely due to the resisance being higher than needed to make the treble rolloff minimal on the low end of the control. Perhaps a 50k audio? Maybe tie a 50k to 100k resistor between the treble rolloff side of the pot and the grounded center lug?
That sounds good, I'll try as I have a bit of time. Thanks!

Personally, I would still want the model to match the real amp even if the real amp has a weird taper. Same with the Bass/Middle/Treble controls. But I can definitely see how other users would want an idealized taper on the controls instead. It does make things more even between 0 and 10. And I might very well be in the minority here.

The Axe is still a fantastic product that have kicked all my other amps back to storage, so I have nothing but respect for the Fractal team:)

Personally, I would still want the model to match the real amp even if the real amp has a weird taper. Same with the Bass/Middle/Treble controls. But I can definitely see how other users would want an idealized taper on the controls instead. It does make things more even between 0 and 10. And I might very well be in the minority here.

The Axe is still a fantastic product that have kicked all my other amps back to storage, so I have nothing but respect for the Fractal team:)
A 'real/idealised' switch for the taper would be cool....

Sounds like some muddy low mid frequencies have been lowered a bit and the highs are more predominant. Also less stifled sounding. Before, I would almost always have to boost some highs but now they are there in your face. I like this one!

Sounds like some muddy low mid frequencies have been lowered a bit and the highs are more predominant. Also less stifled sounding. Before, I would almost always have to boost some highs but now they are there in your face. I like this one!
It sounds more 'dynamic' to me - as if there is some slight expansion happening in the lows and highs. The top end transients are tickling my ears a bit more, as well as the low-end thump to back them up, kinda similar to the change in tone when increasing the amount of negative feedback around a tube output section when the amp is running clean. It feels fantastic....

Last edited:

I think this is a moot point because the exact values along the taper can vary from pot to pot, so even with “realistic” tapers, you’re not necessarily going to get the same sound out of a model and the real amp simply by matching the knob positions. May as well idealize them to make them more usable.

Was kinda hoping the final FW 15 would drop at noon today, ya know 12/15 (today’s date) be a lot cooler if it did :) alright, alright, alright

Back
Top Bottom