Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 15.00 Public Beta #1

I'm floored by this one. I tested my real 5150 head vs the PVH Block model and it's just silly how close it is. No tone matching. All amp settings are pretty much identical except the presence on my head is at 7 to match the model at zero. I turned up the supply sag on the model to "feel" more like my amp when palm muting, but didn't touch any other advanced parameters.

The real amp and model switch halfway through the first section. I randomly switched around several times on the second section. Sounds pretty dang close to me.

Those do sound pretty dang close. Whichever one is first in the first half seems to have a little bit more of a throaty tonality, a little more fullness and warmth on the lowend. The second has a bit more clarify and tightness, but still some nice thumps on the palm mutes.

You find the Presence has to be dialed to 0 on the Axe to match your amp though?

I am finding rolling my volume back on my guitar seems to clean up better, presumably this must have something to do with the more chime/detail in the latest FW update. It always cleaned up well before, but now there is so much detail when I roll back.

Great FW update this! Thank you Cliff!!

Those do sound pretty dang close. Whichever one is first in the first half seems to have a little bit more of a throaty tonality, a little more fullness and warmth on the lowend. The second has a bit more clarify and tightness, but still some nice thumps on the palm mutes.

You find the Presence has to be dialed to 0 on the Axe to match your amp though?
That was as close as I could get it without tone matching. I normally like the real amp’s presence around 6-6.5, but using the tone match block to analyze it in real time showed that the model’s presence at zero was brighter that my amp’s presence at 6. So I just edged up the real amp’s presence until it matched the model, which was at 7 on my amp. Cliff has mentioned in the past that all tapers are accurate to the real amps with the exception of Master Volume and Presence in order to give those controls a less drastic and more usable sweep. I think my real amp is slightly darker than Cliff’s, but I don’t think you’d be able to tell the difference within the context of a mix. At the end of the day, I played my guitar more than I worked, so that says something pretty great about this FW.

It definitely feels and sounds different. I feel like I have to dial back my reverb mix. I’m mainly using the studio room c and it feels a bit bassier / fuller. This machine is getting better every week and I only had the axe iii for a month. This update rhythm is crazy, especially because there are new features all the time. Thank you cliff and team!

That was as close as I could get it without tone matching. I normally like the real amp’s presence around 6-6.5, but using the tone match block to analyze it in real time showed that the model’s presence at zero was brighter that my amp’s presence at 6. So I just edged up the real amp’s presence until it matched the model, which was at 7 on my amp. Cliff has mentioned in the past that all tapers are accurate to the real amps with the exception of Master Volume and Presence in order to give those controls a less drastic and more usable sweep. I think my real amp is slightly darker than Cliff’s, but I don’t think you’d be able to tell the difference within the context of a mix. At the end of the day, I played my guitar more than I worked, so that says something pretty great about this FW.

Thanks for the additional clarifications! I was aware the tapers were different on those controls for additional usable range, but I assumed they would both start and end at the same values, but the values between would be adjusted to have a smoother range of control. (i.e., both 0 and 10 are as they are on the amp, but the range was shifted so 1-7 on the amp presence is actually 1-5 on the axe, and 7-10 has been expanded to 5-10 on the axe for better control in the upper regions, or something similar. Or more simply that all the same control settings exist, but the number on the dial would just be different).

So I appreciate you sharing some of your own experience so I can question whether my assumptions are right, or whether I should be considering that on some amps 0 for presence might be equivalent to 5 on the real thing, and I should test the controls out there to see how they sound that way.

And as you said as well, you might just have a particularly dark amp that's not representative of the norm and that's why you're experiencing that.

So I was working on my SRV Pride and Joy today for some upcoming jam sessions, using FW14.06 and AustinBuddy's "Live Gold AmpegSVT-4Guitar* v12" preset, when I noticed the FW15 (Beta 1) post on Facebook. Cliff wasn't exaggerating. FW15 definitely comes packed with more “chug”, “thump” and “chime!” I can now butcher the SRV classic with much better tone - Thanks Cliff! :D

Weird anomaly. Every time I bypass an amp and then un-bypass it, the icon reverses itself. Once I bypass and un-bypass in AXE Edit, it even reverses the icon in the AXE III. So bypass icon becomes active icon and active icon becomes bypass icon.

Welp, this update sounds amazing, my high gain presets sound like they're pushing more digital air with a punchier low end. Ya'll keep improving this thing and I'm gonna have to start rubbing it down with olive oil and fan it with a giant leaf every day. Might even sacrifice a goat, who knows.

Who else is gonna be icing their fingers tonight?

Last edited:
I'm floored by this one. I tested my real 5150 head vs the PVH Block model and it's just silly how close it is. No tone matching. All amp settings are pretty much identical except the presence on my head is at 7 to match the model at zero. I turned up the supply sag on the model to "feel" more like my amp when palm muting, but didn't touch any other advanced parameters.

The real amp and model switch halfway through the first section. I randomly switched around several times on the second section. Sounds pretty dang close to me.

FINALLY!!!!! THE 5150 was the most problematic model on the ax3

Back
Top Bottom