Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK - installed 14.03 (and have the latest AxeEdit), and now when I changed preset using the Preset page in AxeEdit, loud pop (always makes me cringe) and all LEDs on the front panel maxed out - and no sound. I didn't want to try it again and possibly blow a speaker, so I turned the AxeFx off, rebooted after a few seconds, and shut down AxeEdit. I did notice that Axe Edit has started its old trick of reading all the Presets, IRs, etc whenever it's started. I'm going to revert to FW14.01 for now I think. Still seems to be a problem - maybe with 14.03 or its interaction with AxeEdit.

can you reproduce it? If yes, post the preset(s).

I've reverted to 14.01, and the problem has disappeared. But before I did that, yes, I turned down the two Powercabs and the studio monitors, and did it again. I don't think it's the preset (and it doesn't happen in 14.01 or earlier). It was when switching presets - from any to any. The first time was when I switched from one of Burgs' Dumble presets to one of AustinBuddy's Gold presets - Small Blues Amp I think it was called. But then when I repeated it, with the volume muted, it was when switching between two completely different presets, then a third one. ALL the LEDs on the front panel - Input and Output - were maxed out and static, and there was no signal coming OUT of the AxeFx.

The one thing I didn't try - and now that I've reverted to 14.01 I'd prefer not to reinstall 14.03 - is switching presets without AxeEdit running, using the FC-12.

I'd read about a couple of others with 14.02 who reported the maxed-out LEDs and thanked my lucky stars that I hadn't upgraded from 14.01 due to being away on holiday when 14.02 came out. Now, with 14.03, I had similar problems. Could it be something to do with the fact that AxeEdit was running and I used its Presets page to switch presets?

For now, I'm just sticking with 14.01. For my use everything still sounds wonderful, and there have been no problems.

I just noticed that in FW14.01 the Uber lost its Depth control on the authentic page (in Axe-Edit) I can see that the real amp does not have one, so it's probably right - But I used to use it. Was it just a mistake that it was there before?

I just noticed that in FW14.01 the Uber lost its Depth control on the authentic page (in Axe-Edit) I can see that the real amp does not have one, so it's probably right - But I used to use it. Was it just a mistake that it was there before?

Can't answer to that, but you can still make use of it on the ideal tab at least.

OK - installed 14.03 (and have the latest AxeEdit), and now when I changed preset using the Preset page in AxeEdit, loud pop (always makes me cringe) and all LEDs on the front panel maxed out - and no sound. I didn't want to try it again and possibly blow a speaker, so I turned the AxeFx off, rebooted after a few seconds, and shut down AxeEdit. I did notice that Axe Edit has started its old trick of reading all the Presets, IRs, etc whenever it's started. I'm going to revert to FW14.01 for now I think. Still seems to be a problem - maybe with 14.03 or its interaction with AxeEdit.
I had the same problem, unfortunately I don't remember the preset, I'm backt to FW14.01

Last edited:
I've had 14.03 installed since it was released, played extensively with and without Axe Edit running and have not experienced any issues with factory or my personal created presets. When I have AXE Edit running I change presets 3 ways, 1 type the number in, 2 use the up/down arrows, 3 bring the preset page up and pin it and jump all over with my mouse. I have not heard 1 loud or soft pop.

Maybe some presets with dual amps? Seems like dual amps have been tied to various subtle issues in the past.

14.03 -- system outputs max out and fails when loading / switching to this preset.
can confirm this blew out the outputs on my Axe. loaded, saved. swapped scenes. changed preset and went back and boom.
14.03. while connected to iMac and Axe-Edit running.
I can still change scenes and presets on the device, but have to reboot to get sound.

14.03 -- system outputs max out and fails when loading / switching to this preset.
thanks for uploading! this definitely exhibits the problem.

looking at Hardware, Layout, Meters, the Red Line output seems to originate from the Amp block, which is set to Tube Pre. but if i delete the Input Block, the red lines suddenly appear at the 2nd block's Input. actually, this is inconsistent. maybe at this point, the meters aren't really showing things accurately.

if i Delete the amp block, then save the preset, then reboot, the axe is not red-lined. manually adding the Amp block back and setting to Tube Pre does not cause the issue.

loading the preset again from the computer, the red line returns. now i've removed connectors before and after the Amp block, saved, then rebooted. again, the red line issue does NOT happen on reboot like this. if i reconnect the Amp block to the NEXT block, the red line happens immediately. connecting the Amp to the block before it did not cause the red line.

i'm now reloading the original preset, and deleting all blocks before the Amp block, saving and rebooting. after reboot, the red line does NOT occur.

however, in this state, if i add Input 1, then connect it through all the blank spots to the Amp block, the red line immediately occurs.

now i'm going to delete all blocks except the amp block, save, reboot. upon reboot, with the Amp block being the only thing in the preset, if i add an Input block and connect to the Amp, red line doesn't happen. if i then add an Output block to the Amp, it does happen. rebooting again so Amp is the only thing, if i connect the Out block after the amp only, it does not happen.

so it seems both Input and Output blocks need to be present for this to happen (which of course is standard for any preset).

Input 1, 2, and 3 make it red line. Input 4 and In USB does not. Any Output block makes it red line at that Output. the original preset happens to use all 4 Output blocks, so the whole front panel lights up.

i wonder if some sort of feedback loop is happening?

when i only have the Amp block in the preset on reboot, if i change amp types to anything, then add the In and Out blocks, the red line doesn't happen.

trying some more tests, but that's all i can figure out for now.

Last edited:
solution for the above preset:

If the Bass control in the Tube Pre model is set to 0.00, the unit will red line. this was in the preset uploaded above, and setting Bass to 0.00 on a new preset after reboot immediately red lines. Input 1, 2, or 3 and any Output block must be connected to the Amp block.

i can only find the Bass control being a problem in the Tube Pre type right now.

Last edited:
solution for the above preset:

If the Bass control in the Tube Pre model is set to 0.00, the unit will red line. this was in the preset uploaded above, and setting Bass to 0.00 on a new preset after reboot immediately red lines. Input 1 - 3 and any Output block must be connected to the Amp block.

i can only find the Bass control being a problem in the Tube Pre type right now.

Good work Chris!

Generous use of your time for the community.

thanks for uploading! this definitely exhibits the problem.

looking at Hardware, Layout, Meters, the Red Line output seems to originate from the Amp block, which is set to Tube Pre. but if i delete the Input Block, the red lines suddenly appear at the 2nd block's Input. actually, this is inconsistent. maybe at this point, the meters aren't really showing things accurately.

trying some more tests, but that's all i can figure out for now.

Wow, Chris - that is some serious detective work you've put in there. On behalf of all of us - thank you. And Cliff - thanks for following this up. I hope it makes some sort of sense to you and can fix it :) I loves my Axe, the company, and this group!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom