Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think part of the reason the real Archon needs to be cranked is because the power supply is too stiff. It's got six (!!!) big caps filtering the B+. That's too much filtering IMO unless you're playing at arena volumes. If I were to make a modification to the amp it would be a switch to disconnect four of those caps so the supply is more bouncy at moderate volumes. Maybe also a tube rectifier to add some more sponge.

would you say it has a Diezel VH4 character somewhat obviously minus the huge lows of the DzL

Those are “crystals”, it’s a mode of the Pitch block.

[edit: crystals appear in the 2nd sound, not the 1st]

Last edited:
I don't know if you've experimented with this before, but different speakers/cabs can make a pretty huge difference how your amp... er...

Oh. :oops:;)
You know, that sounds like something I’d be interested in. I may have to look into it. ;)

You have to crank the MV on the real amp. The preamp is very "dry" so to get the juices flowing the power amp needs to be working hard. This also smooths out that funky midrange.
We had it cranked pretty loud matching the volume to the SLO 100 with its master set around 5 or 6. It’s probably unfair to compare most amps side by side with an SLO 100. That’s one of the few high gain amps I’ve tried where cranking the MV doesn’t make it flub out. This is one of those instances where the model sounds and feels better than the real thing, IMO. But who knows, my friend’s amp probably doesn’t sound as good as the one you have, and I’m grateful for that. Your model sounds fantastic!

Well, for one... a tech and a player can use two pedals for one wah! Just don't forget to park it heel down (or use spring loaded pedals).
PS: Hi @Ex-Pat :)

Would I be correct if I surmised that this feature was requested by a guitar player whose first name rhymes with Dirk and second name rhymes with Blammett?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom