Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 14.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
That new Plexi o_O

Nice jam!

I really do wonder about my setup. I try presets like these (was able to get the settings off the vid, and the right IR), and it is SOOOOO bright on my studio monitors, using my PRS Cu24 with a WCR Godwood bridge pickup. Brutal. If I roll the tone knob off to about 3, I can tolerate it, but otherwise it is just shrill. Only thing I couldn't see from the vid was where the highs are rolled off on the cab IR, so I'm betting you just leave it stock at 20k.

I also noticed I had to turn the input drive down relative to this video to get something other than just fuzz, and this isn't a really hot pickup. Maybe you rolled off the volume knob (without a treble bleed?) for that main riff, then dimed it for the solo?

Really good tones in this amp, for sure, but...I wonder.

Nice jam!

I really do wonder about my setup. I try presets like these (was able to get the settings off the vid, and the right IR), and it is SOOOOO bright on my studio monitors, using my PRS Cu24 with a WCR Godwood bridge pickup. Brutal. If I roll the tone knob off to about 3, I can tolerate it, but otherwise it is just shrill. Only thing I couldn't see from the vid was where the highs are rolled off on the cab IR, so I'm betting you just leave it stock at 20k.

I also noticed I had to turn the input drive down relative to this video to get something other than just fuzz, and this isn't a really hot pickup. Maybe you rolled off the volume knob (without a treble bleed?) for that main riff, then dimed it for the solo?

The new 6AC7 is a bright amp. Just like the Plexi 6550 and 50W Plexi. Turn down Presence to tame it, or turn up Drive.

BTW, the Cab's High Cut defaults to 10k, not 20k.

Nice jam!

TBH most presets including many factory ones are that way for me. Part of it I bet is that I play an EJ strat mostly, but I suspect it's mostly my cheapo Alesis FRFRs. They're what I've got, so.

Also, I think I remember that Leon cuts cabs at 8k.

[...]SOOOOO bright[...]

It's the same here. Other peoples presets almost never work for me. Most of the time I find them MUCH too bright and ear piercing.
But I use my Axe-Fx only for playing loud with a band and I always dial in my sound at high volumes. When I play these at bedroom levels through studio monitors they sound pretty bad and dull, LOL :D

6 in '71, BTW :openmouth:

Last edited:
TBH most presets including many factory ones are that way for me. Part of it I bet is that I play an EJ strat mostly, but I suspect it's mostly my cheapo Alesis FRFRs. They're what I've got, so.

Also, I think I remember that Leon cuts cabs at 8k.
Maybe so...I'd have to do a cab cut WAY down around 3.5k or so to get rid of the shrillness for me, and then all the sizzle and definition are gone. So I bet that isn't it. It's just hard for me to believe that my guitars are that much brighter than others. And I do have decent monitors (JBL LSR28p's) and I'm trying these tones out at about 90dB, so not brutally loud.

Still...I can get a really good tone out of this amp, but I've got to turn the treble and mids and presence down quite a bit compared to Leon. No doubt, this amp is a great addition. Might compete with the Atomica and the Hooks as my favorite Marshall-y amps.

Geez you guys are old :D

I was 3 in '71 and I'm OLD now!

I'm even older. Late '66 baby. Was teaching Fortran 77 and Fortran 90 back around the turn of the millenium. Fortran 77 won most times, mainly because it was easily translateable into OO code. Just saying... ;)

Fortran and Pascal are great, you can just get on and write the code! Life's too short to be defining classes.

Liam

BTW, the Cab's High Cut defaults to 10k, not 20k.
Just noticed that we were talking about two different high cuts, probably: the knob on the first tab of AxeEdit is High Cut, and defaults to 20k. The knob under the "Filters" section of the preamp (3rd) tab defaults to 10k when double-clicked. Not sure how the two relate.

Learned to program in HS with flowcharts, machine code, and assembly language, then onto Turbo Pascal, and of course Basic and COMAL on my C64. I bought a book on Ada for fun.

BASIC or actually BBC BASIC for me. Then PASCAL and FORTRAN, then GW BASIC, some assembly code, and some direct hex machine code, followed by C++ (and then somehow and quite fortuitously) C, when I finally got what OO meant.

Only thing we probably cannot argue over is that Cliff surpassed me, and probably everyone else here, in relating all of this to the tone of guitar amps. I also did a lot of SPICE modelling way back when, and remain in awe.

Liam

GW BASIC commands still existed in VB6 and worked. I worked in a general computer lab, and would have to help students with their CIS105 questions, which were frequent at the end of the semester, during final project season. Once in a while we would get a student who would raise his hand for each line of code, which meant nobody else could get help from him hogging our time. I started feeding them answers laced with the old GW BASIC string function names, etc., so the instructors would hopefully know the student didn't do his own work. After a while, the lab supervisor, Michelle, called us all over for a meeting to discuss a memo from the CIS instructors, wherein they suggested sending the programming questions to the CIS lab, because someone was teaching their students the wrong commands for their projects' code. I snickered, and she shot me a look, and asked me what I'd done. I told her, and she laughed. We won a small victory that day. We were given an official OK to send them elsewhere when they were having us do their final projects for them one line at a time.... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom