Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use an external controller to control the wah. Map the same FC pedal to the external controller. Set the default for the external controller on the MIDI settings menu to 0%.
I switched all four controllers over to External a while back, when the ability to set any value from 0% to 100% arrived. It lets me set #4 up for 50% on preset load, putting my delay mix right in the middle, so I can quickly adjust dryer or wetter depending on the space....

Last edited:
I switched all four controllers over to External a while back, when the ability to set any value from 0% to 100% arrived. It lets me set #4 up for 50% on predet load, putting my delay mix right in the middle, so I can quickly adjust dryer or wetter depending on the space....

that way the pedal is configured

that way the pedal is configured
Double check please? Because this works 100% correctly here.

For reference, here are my settings from the MIDI settings menu:
IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

And on the wah block, the controller settings is as follows:

IMG_0869.jpg

This has worked correctly, without issue, since the 1.00 firmware for external controllers.

Note: this assumes you have the controller setup to bypass on "heel down" on the pedal. If you prefer "toe down" for bypass (like @austinbuddy defaults to in his preset packs), you'll want to set the default value for the external controller to 100%, not 0%.

Double check please? Because this works 100% correctly here.

For reference, here are my settings from the MIDI settings menu:
View attachment 72148

View attachment 72149

And on the wah block, the controller settings is as follows:

View attachment 72150

This has worked correctly, without issue, since the 1.00 firmware for external controllers.

Note: this assumes you have the controller setup to bypass on "heel down" on the pedal. If you prefer "toe down" for bypass (like @austinbuddy defaults to in his preset packs), you'll want to set the default value for the external controller to 100%, not 0%.

I am going to review its configuration tomorrow and I will comment on the result. I think that something as basic as disconnecting the FC pedal and automatically bypassing the wah would be ideal without having to go into more settings, for me that is annoying because I only occupy the FC pedal sometimes and have to eliminate the Wah block each time so that it is not activated. you excuse my ENGLISH, I speak Spanish. I am a basic user not like many and it is more difficult to have to understand so much configuration for something so simple.

I am going to review its configuration tomorrow and I will comment on the result. I think that something as basic as disconnecting the FC pedal and automatically bypassing the wah would be ideal without having to go into more settings, for me that is annoying because I only occupy the FC pedal sometimes and have to eliminate the Wah block each time so that it is not activated. you excuse my ENGLISH, I speak Spanish. I am a basic user not like many and it is more difficult to have to understand so much configuration for something so simple.
Yup. Follow my setup above and you’ll have the behavior you desire.

@CodePoet - Give this preset a try. I use the same expression pedal (Exp 1) with a toe switch to switch it to Wah. Tuner Mute set to "OFF". Expression pedal 1 set to CC#11, Toe Switch (EXT SW 3) set to CC#13. I have no issues switching from Volume to Wah on the same pedal.
@Rhodes - thanks for posting - was finally looking at this one. This works for switching from Volume to Wah with one pedal using the Multiplexer - good method. What I was wondering is if you can use the "Tuner on heel down" functionality only when the pedal is being used as a volume pedal, and not when it's being used as a Wah.

@Rhodes - thanks for posting - was finally looking at this one. This works for switching from Volume to Wah with one pedal using the Multiplexer - good method. What I was wondering is if you can use the "Tuner on heel down" functionality only when the pedal is being used as a volume pedal, and not when it's being used as a Wah.
The tuner on heel down thing is assigned directly to the controller, so it will likely show up on both wah and volume....

The tuner on heel down thing is assigned directly to the controller, so it will likely show up on both wah and volume....
Yep, that's what I found - it's happening up the chain at the hardware/controller level. Perhaps it'll get more flexible at some point as I'm just using one pedal for multiple things usually.

Yep, that's what I found - it's happening up the chain at the hardware/controller level. Perhaps it'll get more flexible at some point as I'm just using one pedal for multiple things usually.
Hopefully, for your sake and others. In my situation, I have one controller pedal dedicated to volume pedal duty, so it is fine for me as-is. :)

Not trying to be a jerk, but what did you mean then, in the post I quoted? If you have an approach that works well for you, folks would like to know.
I have to admit my first impression of your comment made me wish I’d just not posted anything. I posted my experience with it because I thought folks would like to know. Maybe not? It’s cool either way.
I’ve had this issue pop up several times over the years, no idea why, but sometimes when I unplug the pedal I use for my wah (I use external 2) (Not disconnecting the foot controller) the wah will be engaged, I bypass it and save the preset and it seems to fix it. Somehow periodically the wah becomes engaged by default. I’m not sure, but it seems to be after some of the firmware updates, not all. It’s irritating, but it works for me.

Use an external controller to control the wah. Map the same FC pedal to the external controller. Set the default for the external controller on the MIDI settings menu to 0%.
Question: is there no loss of detail when a pedal is mapped via an external controller? I know of systems which use a higher 'signal ratio' (don't know if this is the right term to use: 'information density'?) for system pedals compared to external pedals / controllers which have 'only' 128 midi CC signal levels at their disposal.

Question: is there no loss of detail when a pedal is mapped via an external controller? I know of systems which use a higher 'signal ratio' (don't know if this is the right term to use: 'information density'?) for system pedals compared to external pedals / controllers which have 'only' 128 midi CC signal levels at their disposal.
I think that's true only if the external controller is set to a midi CC number, if set to FC pedal there's no MIDI involved

None that I can perceive. I don’t know the canonical answer though. My suspicion is no matter how you connect, the detection is mapped to the 128 step scale so the interface with controllers is consistent, not connection type dependent in the code. Gliss on step change is a function of the parameter the controller is attached to, most likely.

@FractalAudio would be the person to ask here for the canonical answer.

I think that's true only if the external controller is set to a midi CC number, if set to FC pedal there's no MIDI involved
I don’t think so. I can perceive no difference controlling a wah, whammy or volume using an expression pedal from my RJM GT22 assigned to an external via CC# or using the same expression pedal assign to the same external via my FC and the FC pedal assignment or using the same expression pedal assigned to the external using the pedal 1 jack on the back of the unit.

I don’t think so. I can perceive no difference controlling a wah, whammy or volume using an expression pedal from my RJM GT22 assigned to an external via CC# or using the same expression pedal assign to the same external via my FC and the FC pedal assignment or using the same expression pedal assigned to the external using the pedal 1 jack on the back of the unit.
That could be due to the modifier attack and release parameters defaulting to 10ms though.

I'd try setting them at zero and attaching the modifier to something where you can eventually hear or see the "steps" (e.g. whammy control or delay time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom