Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.00 Public Beta

When I installed the update, my drives were all really wonky. My go to drives are the Tone of Kings and the T808, and in both cases when I turned those drives on there was barely any boost in gain or volume. I found that if I deleted the Drive block and added it back, all of a sudden they started working properly. Is that normal?

Post the preset so the Fractal Team will try to analyze what is going on. And as always, it is a beta version.. so there so people will be able to find actual glitches.

I came from the previous build to the beta and nothing changed tone wise except loving the drive block. I'm even changing my presets from all amp for my distortion to clean amps and pedal. Seems more fluid and better tone.
Yeah I’m sure I’m missing something in the drive block settings that must’ve changed after the update.

Anyone have an Amp/drive recommendation for a non-metal, distorted rock rhythm type tone? I just don’t know where to start with all these drives.

all good suggestions so far. another couple - try the brit 800 into v30's with the 808 in front, or any of the plexi types into greenbacks or basketweave with the 808 works great too. keep the drive low and the level on about 7. with both these amps, leave the mv at 10, put the gain on about 6. start with tone controls at noon and adjust from there.

When I installed the update, my drives were all really wonky. My go to drives are the Tone of Kings and the T808, and in both cases when I turned those drives on there was barely any boost in gain or volume. I found that if I deleted the Drive block and added it back, all of a sudden they started working properly. Is that normal?

Improved Drive block modeling. New algorithm uses a novel solution to solve the nonlinear ODE of a diode clipper with memory (i.e. a capacitor). The accuracy of the diode I-V curve is also greatly improved. This new algorithm has the accuracy of implicit iterative solutions with speed rivaling explicit solutions. CPU usage is only slightly increased vs. the previous algorithm. Note that many of the Drive models will now behave differently and presets should be auditioned. The behavior of the tone controls in some models has also changed. Of note are the Timmy models where the tone controls are now faithful to the actual pedal and decrease bass/treble when turned clockwise.

This issue I'm having is the drive blocks aren't working right unless I delete them and add them back. Then, without making any changes to the settings, they sound right again. Here's the preset I'm using...

Attachments

• Amps - Humbuckers.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 2
This issue I'm having is the drive blocks aren't working right unless I delete them and add them back. Then, without making any changes to the settings, they sound right again. Here's the preset I'm using...
Preset uses global blocks and makes no sound here. Please remove all the global blocks and resubmit.

When I load the factory preset for the "No Quarter" patch the Reverb block shows with a spring tab which also results in the basic tab having no quality setting to select. If I select another reverb then switch back everything seems to shake out ok. Anyone else see this? I'll attach the preset as well.

Attachments

• No Quarter.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 0
Serious thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions -
@simeon @brianv4 @Tommy Tempest @JoKeR III @iaresee @bread @Brian Angiel

I'll be hitting all of these up this week/weekend. Very much appreciate it.

It is going to be a busy weekend, indeed

I've made a bullet point:

• Super OD or TS9 -> Friedman BE
  • TS808 (drive 0, level 6) -> Freedman Small Box (gain 2.5)
  • Shimmer Drive -> Blankenship Leeds (insta-Zeppelin lead tones)
  • TS808/Full OD -> Smallbox, or Dirty Shirley
  • Eternal Love and Super OD -> Brit 800 #34 or 1987x Treble
  • Eternal Love, Fat Rat (low drive), Super OD, T808, Tube Drive 3-knob, Tape
  • Jam Ray (gain 6 or higher) -> Band Commander
  • Jam Ray -> Deluxe reverb
  • 808 -> brit 800 -> v30's
  • 808 (drive low, level 7) -> any plexi (mv 10, gain 6) -> greenbacks or basketweave

Great job Cliff and co, the updated drives are wonderful! The Precision Drive is absolutely magic for sculpting high gain tones.

As always....Great playing, great review, great personality!
Thanks for your time and effort....rock on dude!

Of course, facilitated by the man himself....excellent firmware release Cliff.

Playing the Box 'O Crunch into a Vibroverb, I found that there's something that brings the final sound and feel produced closer to what I hear and feel when playing "real amps." With the amp modeling, there is a difference in the way pinch harmonics, especially on the lower strings, react and sound when compared to an amp. The way they develop and quickly bloom, but have a 3d, hairy quality to them, with a hint of bell-like chime. Real world Mark IV's really excel at this, but the Axe Fx model lacks it. Whatever is going on with the Box 'O Crunch, it seems to be doing something better in that regard, and may be worth exploring IMO.

Back
Top Bottom