Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 13.00 Public Beta

It's a way to have one source switch to the opposite state while another source is a latching toggle. Here's the original thread where I described the setup: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...and-hold-switch-functions.152004/post-1808837

(I don't have an Axe-FX III to verify if anything changed about LFOs or how B Phase affects the B LFO.)

It lets me assign two control switches - CS1 latching, CS2 momentary, wherein CS2 flips the state of CS1 momentarily. @Bakerman proposed the idea last summer, but until LFO Output B phase was available to be controlled, it was not possible in the III. The LFO is set to the stopped position, and is being (ab)used for its capabilities as a logic gate via the Output B Phase and Duty Cycle.

Easy to accomplish with a pair of SPDT switches. Electricians use the trick to control hallway and stairway lights from two switches.

And, yes, I am 100% sure it flipped the phase, as I just got done setting them all up so that the light being bright meant 'fast' and the light being dim meant 'slow' on the latching switch. I fixed it in one preset, then pulled the same preset from the pre-upgrade backup into an empty slot next to it, and the one from the backup is backwards. I actually prefer it the way it is now, as it allows me to set the min value to the low number and the max value to the high number and have the switch's lights correspondingly show dim for slow and bright for fast....
But why? If it's just to toggle between fast and slow, why not use a single, latching switch and change channels on the rotary block? Seems overly complicated and, as you've experienced, prone to breakage.

Last edited:
As a guitarist and Fractal user, I absolutely love your relentless push to make these units even better. And can't wait to see what comes next.

As a vendor that just spent easily over a hundred hours, spread out over months of many late nights after work, finally almost finishing (again) updating my Axe-Fx III presets for the free firmware matched updates... I hate you!.. LOL;):mad:o_O:cool:

Can't wait to dig in and check out the improvements and the new models.. The already improved Amps, Flangers, Phasers, and Compressors have been awesome!
You are correct ! With every new update you think there is nothing he can do to make a substantial update and poof he embarrasses us again ! Thank you again Cliff and the whole FAS team. You guys set the Unmatchable standard of excellence in the music equipment business !!!

But why? If it's just to toggle between fast and slow, why not use a single, latching switch and change channels on the rotary block? Seems overly complicated and, as you've experience, prone to breakage.

The goal was to have one latching toggle and a separate "opposite speed" momentary switch.

Something like this generally shouldn't break randomly. If the LFO system changed it could affect other things, like using B phase offset to start a sweep at a certain position.

But why? If it's just to toggle between fast and slow, why not use a single, latching switch and change channels on the rotary block? Seems overly complicated and, as you've experienced, prone to breakage.
I want both momentary and latching control over the speed.

Sometimes you just kick it up or down for a section of a song. Latching switch.

Sometimes you want to kick it up or down for just a phrase or run, or timing needs to be tighter with switching it for whatever reason. Momentary switch.

I might be a guitarist, but I approach usage of the Leslie more like an organist, and switch the speed up a fair bit rather than just letting it run. Grew up listening to organ players, starting with Mr. Francis at church in the early '70s when I went there with my grandmother, but also a ton of them on the radio, from Steve Winwood, Billy Preston, Stevie Wonder, Jon Lord, the guys from Kansas, Styx, etc. I guess a bit if light crept in through the cracks....

Last edited:
The goal was to have one latching toggle and a separate "opposite speed" momentary switch.

Something like this generally shouldn't break randomly. If the LFO system changed it could affect other things, like using B phase offset to start a sweep at a certain position.
In this case, the 'break' actually is a 'fix', at least as far as the modifier min and max matching the min and max speeds (as opposed to the opposite), but I dutifully pointed out the change, as I know it had the potential you mentioned to break carefully-set things that depend on that output's starting point being where it was and now is not....

I’m not convinced the LFO system changed. I just think the approach is fragile.

I don't think the approach is fragile. There's no reason it should suddenly reverse any more than a wah block reversing sweep direction.

I don't actually know if the LFO system changed, or if it's a setup/hardware mistake/issue on Joe B's part. The approach is fine though.

I don't think the approach is fragile. There's no reason it should suddenly reverse any more than a wah block reversing sweep direction.

I don't actually know if the LFO system changed, or if it's a setup/hardware mistake/issue on Joe B's part. The approach is fine though.
After fixing a preset so the phase switch was accommodated, I pulled a copy of the preset out of a backup. Its phase was switched as well. The approach is complicated, but rock solid.

"Fragile"??? Meaning what exactly? That it relies on the observed behaviors of some block types? How is that different from relying on an amp block with certain settings to sound a certain way?

"Fragile"??? Meaning what exactly? That it relies on the observed behaviors of some block types? How is that different from relying on an amp block with certain settings to sound a certain way?
That it’s easy to screw up implementing it. That a small adjustment in your preset can break it.

There's no proof it reversed. My test showed it, in fact, does not reverse on updating the firmware.

Screen Shot 2020-08-07 at 6.59.10 PM.png

This dialog we are having suggests otherwise.

After fixing a preset so the phase switch was accommodated, I pulled a copy of the preset out of a backup. Its phase was switched as well. The approach is complicated, but rock solid.
Post your old preset. The back up copy you had.

Hi Cliff, so, exactly how much more CPU per Drive Pedal is being used? I installed 13B and went straight to warning. I will need to redo the presets as I am skating right under 80% for most all of them. I am looking forward to checking out the improvements but need to make those changes first. (Back to 12.14 for the moment) Thanks!!

Hi Cliff, so, exactly how much more CPU per Drive Pedal is being used?

Looks like about +3% for certain drive models.

Original CPU usage: https://www.axefxtutorials.com/axe-fx-iii/axe-fx-iii-block-cpu-usage-estimates/
13.00 beta usage (yek's post): https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...version-13-00-public-beta.164208/post-1968865

I installed 13B and went straight to warning.

I have similar concerns. I haven't updated yet. For example, AB presets with 2-4 drives could go up 6-12% which could be unusable.

Last edited:
Hi Cliff, so, exactly how much more CPU per Drive Pedal is being used? I installed 13B and went straight to warning. I will need to redo the presets as I am skating right under 80% for most all of them. I am looking forward to checking out the improvements but need to make those changes first. (Back to 12.14 for the moment) Thanks!!
See posts #119 and #171 of this thread.

The drives are awesome. As Leon mentioned the "Bass Response" parameter is an absolute win. Amazing stuff.
Yes, the drives feel and sound better now. Still, the bit a while back about the red line being exactly on top of the blue line reminds me of a scene from Chasing Amy....

Back
Top Bottom