Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.14

What I constantly finding myself wishing for in this area is the ability to switch between my current edit of a preset and the saved version.
As in, I've been down this rabbit hole for an hour and a half, do I like my changes or not?
Have you tried the snapshot function in Axe Edit? :)

I haven’t moved off 12.10. Simply because I was happier than I’d ever been with the sounds and genuinely didn’t think they could improve.

The recent changes to the high end have opened up a whole new dimension for me.

This update intrigued me so whilst I had an hour I thought I’d try.

Wow! The compression is amazing. Most of the time I’m in the 2-4 range and soooo good.

Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better......
Yeah, I find I'm dialing in between 2 and 4 as well. Sometimes even higher.

Speaker compression sounds really nice on sparkly cleans too.

I just reread the blocks guide about Speaker Compression, Compliance, and Drive. As I understand it, each is effectively speaker compression with different (potentially tasty) artifacts.

@FractalAudio, can you compare and contrast Compression, Compliance, and Drive? Do they capture independent factors or if one of these parameters is turned up high the others should be turned down or off? I know we can "use our ears" but curious...

@Dave Merrill
I’ll often duplicate a preset, work on the duplicate, and I can bounce between to see if the changes are for the better or not. Hope that might help. Lee
Thanks, I do that, I'd just prefer a one-button compare function, like synths (at least used to) have.

As it is, I end up with a bunch of copies with different name variations, which I then have to go back through, reconstruct what I was thinking, figure out if it's an improvement, a cool new thing, or trash.

One button please.

Speaker compression sounds really nice on sparkly cleans too.

I just reread the blocks guide about Speaker Compression, Compliance, and Drive. As I understand it, each is effectively speaker compression with different (potentially tasty) artifacts.

@FractalAudio, can you compare and contrast Compression, Compliance, and Drive? Do they capture independent factors or if one of these parameters is turned up high the others should be turned down or off? I know we can "use our ears" but curious...

I feel like I need a diagram-for-dummies poster at this point, that lays out how all the various amp block parameters interact with each other.

@Dave Merrill
I’ll often duplicate a preset, work on the duplicate, and I can bounce between to see if the changes are for the better or not. Hope that might help. Lee
That's what I do too, and I suspect most others as well. I end up with quite a few variations, but I A/B/C/Z and usually just come down to one by process of elimination. Sometimes I end up with 2, because it's a cool variation and I can't choose, but there are tons of presets so I don't see myself running out in a hurry

That's what I do too, and I suspect most others as well. I end up with quite a few variations, but I A/B/C/Z and usually just come down to one by process of elimination. Sometimes I end up with 2, because it's a cool variation and I can't choose, but there are tons of presets so I don't see myself running out in a hurry
This is what I do, and often I'll use different scenes and channels of the amp, cab, etc between scenes in the same preset to try out changes and compare to the original base scene. It's amazing how my ears change from hour to hour or day to day, so it's also good to listen back with fresh ears on different days to really be sure which variant you like the best.

Yeah, I find I'm dialing in between 2 and 4 as well. Sometimes even higher.

Sort of a philosophical question - if you're finding this parameter sounds better in this range, would you ever change the default setting to line up with what you think sounds better? Or is the default value of 1 closer to the actual "real world" amplifier, and as such, is something that you wouldn't adjust in a future firmware release?

Back
Top Bottom