Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.14

Is the improvement in speaker compression something I should be able to hear with default-ish amp values? I see there's a speaker compression value that adjusts things manually but I wasn't sure if that was entirely the same since most people aren't tweaking beyond the basic tone controls these days, it seems.

Also, do I need to re-select the amp block for these changes or is that a thing of the past? I'm still used to editing presets on my II.

I'm thinking we need another Tech Notes on this kind of stuff but maybe also have it stickied and changed over time. Could be called something like "Cliff's tweaking recommendations" and would have info on a few tweaks the average Joe could benefit from. Every so often, Cliff will make a general recommendation about certain advanced paramters that make a huge difference for Average Joe and I kinda wonder why they're not being shouted from the rooftops.

When initializing the amp block, Negative Feedback has the correct default value 2, but when double click on the knob in Axe III Edit, it reverted back to the previous/wrong default value 3.5.

This might be a general issue for double click in Axe III. Here are my questions:
1. Why is the double click revert to a different default value? What does that default value mean v.s. amp's initial default value? Is that just an random value? Then the double click is broken...
2. How do I revert to the correct default value, e.g. the same as when initializing the amp block?
3. How do I revert to the default value when working with the Axe III unit alone without the Axe Edit?

Thanks!

1. Defaulting a control in AE does not query the hardware for the correct value. It’s been that way since the time AE was rebuilt from te ground up. For many parameters such as BMT, defaulting in AE works fine, not for advanced ones.

2. There is no way to reset a single parameter. One way to do it (IMO): reset the entire block on hardware or in AE, don’t save, see what the default value is, reload the preset, enter the value. There are more ways, like: switch to an unused channel, add the block, check the default value etc.

3. See above.

How are you guys setting speaker compression? (I know use your ears, just wanna hear some others findings)
All the amps default at 1.00 @ 100 ms, but this can't be right since every amp should be different, or am I misunderstanding?

I
How are you guys setting speaker compression? (I know use your ears, just wanna hear some others findings)
All the amps default at 1.00 @ 100 ms, but this can't be right since every amp should be different, or am I misunderstanding?

Was wondering the same thing.

When initializing the amp block, Negative Feedback has the correct default value 2, but when double click on the knob in Axe III Edit, it reverted back to the previous/wrong default value 3.5.

Others have chimed in on this but I think I have something to add. The Axe-Fx has the ability to RESET the current channel of a block. This is also sometimes called "initializing". To do this, press the RESET button (push knob A) in the block's edit menu.

Axe-Edit has this capability as well. Find it in the menu choice Block: Reset Channel or press Cmd/Ctrl + i

When you double click a parameter name in Axe-Edit, this is NOT resetting the parameter or the block; it's just setting it to a "handy" or "neutral" values. For example, many knobs will move to zero or to the twelve o'clock position. Many of these will match the value that is set by a RESET (see above) but others won't. I see that in some cases these "handy" values seem arbitrary. They may have been based on what were once default values but are now just vestigial. @Michael Pickens and I will make a pass through those to do a little cleanup.

Back
Top Bottom