Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.12

Some tremolo ideas:

First section: PEQ middle band with LFO gain wobble - could have done this with the Filter block, TBH.
Second section: PEQ with low/high bands opposite phase LFO wobble - kinda like a harmonic trem, sorta.
Third section: 5-band Mark EQ in Amp block with all 5 bands pulling wobble from two different LFOs, one of which has Output B Phase on a momentary switch toggling between 18 and 180 degrees from Output A. You can hear it switch from a complex wobble to a more throbby wobble (that there's a band name! Tonight only: THROBBY WOBBLE!!!)..

Just scratching the surface. Put the control on a pedal, and you have variable multi-band EQ on a pedal. Lots of other things that could be done with these, too.... :)

Like that third one, cool!

This is fantastic - thanks for implementing so many of the amp and EQ modifier wishes!

Here's a few ideas using the new modifier assignments
When I first read the notes about the new modifiers, I was not so impressed. But watching your video opened suddenly the sky. It's all about creativity.

I'm experiencing some buggy behavior with the MIDI/Remote setup menus. (Not sure if this issue showed up with 12.12 as I hadn't been in these menus for the past few firmware updates; this is the first I've noticed it at least.)
  • The Mapping tab does not respond to controls -- can't move up or down, can't change the numbers, etc. Only can switch to a different page or exit the menu.
  • When I load up the MIDI/Remote section and the General tab, if I move to the next page (Mapping) and then back, the General page now doesn't display any page content except a single gray divider line towards the top. Power-cycling the unit brings the General page back, but it's gone again if I page forward and back again.
  • The Controllers tab draws garbledeegook in the upper left corner of the page. (I do not have a FC-6 or FC-12 connected.)

I'm experiencing some buggy behavior with the MIDI/Remote setup menus. (Not sure if this issue showed up with 12.12 as I hadn't been in these menus for the past few firmware updates; this is the first I've noticed it at least.)
  • The Mapping tab does not respond to controls -- can't move up or down, can't change the numbers, etc. Only can switch to a different page or exit the menu.
  • When I load up the MIDI/Remote section and the General tab, if I move to the next page (Mapping) and then back, the General page now doesn't display any page content except a single gray divider line towards the top. Power-cycling the unit brings the General page back, but it's gone again if I page forward and back again.
  • The Controllers tab draws garbledeegook in the upper left corner of the page. (I do not have a FC-6 or FC-12 connected.)
A fix is forthcoming.

Thanks again for this new update,

@Cliff, can you confirm to us that the Amp Input trim and the Setup/Input1 Gain are both equivalent in signal chain ?
If yes, is it possible, in a future update, to have an uniform unit on both in db
caus' amp Amp Input trim is in %ratio gain and the Setup/Input1 Gain is in db
i know ratio 2= 3db and 4=6db etc... but will be faster for us to convert values between both.

Thanks in advance for your reply

Am I the only one that finds this new Input1 Gain pretty confusing?

Last edited:
Am I the only one that finds this new Input1 Gain pretty confusing?

I think Input 1 Gain is in dB because at 0, it's running at unity gain (the level going into input 1 is the same level it outputs to the rest of the preset). If you set it to +6, it's a +6 dB boost to whatever you've plugged in. And at -18 dB it's an 18 decibel reduction to your input signal. I think this makes sense and is pretty standard for audio equipment.

Input trim being a ratio is a little weirder.

Would it be possible to have some in-depth vid tutorials or docs explaining the new Added Modifier capability features in detail and it’s possibilities etc...

Check out Leon Todd's demo of the new firmware.

@2112 Leon Todd's YouTube channel is an excellent source of Fractal info and ideas. You should subscribe to it!

I think Input 1 Gain is in dB because at 0, it's running at unity gain (the level going into input 1 is the same level it outputs to the rest of the preset). If you set it to +6, it's a +6 dB boost to whatever you've plugged in. And at -18 dB it's an 18 decibel reduction to your input signal. I think this makes sense and is pretty standard for audio equipment.

Input trim being a ratio is a little weirder.

The decibel is a ratio. The difference is it's logarithmic.

Level controls that show a percent instead of a dB figure are using a linear 100 point scale instead of logarithmic one and are usually cut only.
50% ~ -6 dB
25% ~ -12 dB
1% ~ -40 dB

-18 dB ~ 12.6%
+18 dB ~ 794%

There's one more type as well, the gain factor control. The input trim control in the Amp block is an example of that. The value there is a multiplier for the signal level. It's used for boost and cut and is also a linear level control.

0.25 = 1/4th as much signal or ~ -12 dB
0.5 = half as much signal or ~ -6 dB
1.0 = unity gain (no boost or cut) or 0 dB
2.0 = twice as much signal or ~ +6 dB
10.0 = 10 times as much signal or ~ +20 dB

Last edited:
Check out Leon Todd's demo of the new firmware.

@2112 Leon Todd's YouTube channel is an excellent source of Fractal info and ideas. You should subscribe to it!

Yes seen that, but it’s not really an in-depth explanation...it’s good but no detail just someone having a blow (impressive that it is)... just showing settings that he likes etc... and I’m not a metal player...

Clarification questions about the new Input 1 Gain (from a very new AF3 user):

1. Is there a way to change it via MIDI?
I'm guessing no, unless it can be assigned a Modifier, so that would be a wish.

Use case is so an upstream MIDI controller could select an Input 1 Gain level depending on which guitar is in use, independent of subsequent preset/scene changes; something I'm trying to figure out how best to do as a new AF3 user.

2. Correct that changing Input 1 Gain is equivalent to changing the Output Level for the In 1 block; but Input 1 Gain avoids the need for a linked Global Block for all presets' In 1 block to effect a global gain change? (And also unnecessarily having to unify gate settings in the Global Block.)

(And I have to say as a new user, what an amazing box, developer, and forum community! Like walking into a sci-fi movie ;-)

Clarification questions about the new Input 1 Gain (from a very new AF3 user):

1. Is there a way to change it via MIDI?
I'm guessing no, unless it can be assigned a Modifier, so that would be a wish.

Use case is so an upstream MIDI controller could select an Input 1 Gain level depending on which guitar is in use, independent of subsequent preset/scene changes; something I'm trying to figure out how best to do as a new AF3 user.

2. Correct that changing Input 1 Gain is equivalent to changing the Output Level for the In 1 block; but Input 1 Gain avoids the need for a linked Global Block for all presets' In 1 block to effect a global gain change? (And also unnecessarily having to unify gate settings in the Global Block.)

(And I have to say as a new user, what an amazing box, developer, and forum community! Like walking into a sci-fi movie ;-)
1). Input 1 Gain is not modifiable, so yeah... maybe put in a Wish List item. ;)

2). Yes.

Back
Top Bottom