Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.11

I'll add this: I've been an AxeFX user for many years, and have never had a single issue with my systems. This was a pretty minor blip, and it was the first time I'd played through the system since updating to 12.11 FW. Obviously, if I were touring at the moment, I'd never make a FW update; and when I do make an update, it's when I'm home with plenty of time to make any necessary adjustments. I suppose it could have been a user error, but I updated the system the same way I've always done. I'm writing this one off as a cosmic reminder to eat more kale.

About two years into owning an Axe-Fx II, I started having an issue with Cabs taking an extraordinarily long time to update when saving them in Cab-Manage. I continued updating the firmware on a regular basis, and despite my best troubleshooting efforts, the issue persisted. As a last-ditch effort, I decided to try resetting the system parameters, and low and behold, that fixed it.

I make a habit of cleaning up my computers once a year (fresh reinstall).

Likewise, I reset the system params once in a while. I know which parameters I've changed from default, so it costs me like minute or so. It gives me comfort to know that all is okay in that department.

I'll add this: I've been an AxeFX user for many years, and have never had a single issue with my systems. This was a pretty minor blip, and it was the first time I'd played through the system since updating to 12.11 FW. Obviously, if I were touring at the moment, I'd never make a FW update; and when I do make an update, it's when I'm home with plenty of time to make any necessary adjustments. I suppose it could have been a user error, but I updated the system the same way I've always done. I'm writing this one off as a cosmic reminder to eat more kale.
I drink a lot of yogurt smoothies to try to keep my weight under control. Usually berries. One day my wife brought home a frozen "Berry Mix With Kale" for my smoothies.

hqdefault.jpg

Officially acknowledging myself a weirdo, I actually like kale. It can be a little tough, and sometimes I blanch it or steam it for a salad (especially dinosaur kale). For smoothies, you have to blend the hell out of it, but you still get all the goodness.

However, I'm not insane. A friend of mine puts kale on pizza, and I ferociously scold him for this cross-food-group promiscuity. Kale belongs solely to the "good for me so I eat it" family, and pizza belongs to the "yummy stuff that I would every day forever" family. Some food items are permitted in both groups, depending on moon phase and current lineup of King Crimson. You will find a handy chart for this in @yek 's guide to food groups in the produce section of the wiki.

In summary: eating kale is like resetting your system parameters. Except you should eat kale more frequently.

Dark leafy greens like kale are definitely good for you, but don't over do it. They are high in calcium and can lead to kidney stones if you are prone to getting them. My wife had to have lithotripsy for kidney stones after going hog wild on daily smoothies with spinach and kale in them for several months. Even with healthy stuff, there can still be such a thing as too much.

Kale is annoying and uninspiring, but I eat it all the time because its great for your health.

Where everyone goes wrong though is trying to incorporate kale into other dishes that would be better off without it.
If you're going to eat kale, just eat it raw in a salad or something. Don't waste time cooking it to "take the bitterness out", because it's still going to suck and you're going to feel worse throwing out food you took the time to sautee instead of just leaving it in your fridge until its rotten and then throwing it out, like any normal person would.

Kale is annoying and uninspiring, but I eat it all the time because its great for your health.

Where everyone goes wrong though is trying to incorporate kale into other dishes that would be better off without it.
If you're going to eat kale, just eat it raw in a salad or something. Don't waste time cooking it to "take the bitterness out", because it's still going to suck and you're going to feel worse throwing out food you took the time to sautee instead of just leaving it in your fridge until its rotten and then throwing it out, like any normal person would.

Spot on with not cooking it and just putting some in a salad. When I do kale I put in enough to get some good nutrients, but mask it with other veggies that taste better. The good news is that when you start eating healthy the taste buds adapt and at some point fast food tastes aweful because of the excessive things they put in to make it palatable.

A few times in my life I have been into a lifestyle of eating for the effects rather than the instant gratification of how it tastes. Trying to get fully back to living that way again. Feel great when I do, but hard to stick with it in this society.

The good news is that when you start eating healthy the taste buds adapt and at some point fast food tastes aweful because of the excessive things they put in to make it palatable.
This. Plus all the jokes about kale and other foods that have programmed us to not like what's good for us but to love stuff like junk food that mucks up your arteries and makes you fat and unhealthy. Sure, a pure kale + water smoothie isn't very good, but neither is lettuce (you wouldn't eat a salad without dressing, right?).

My breakfast used to be a smoothie w/ protein powder, kale, other greens, berries, banana, etc. Don't really do it anymore because I'm home all day and don't need that big of a breakfast. We'll also cook it into stir fry, or fry/blanch with stuff like chard or spinach and it's good that way too.

Officially acknowledging myself a weirdo, I actually like kale. It can be a little tough, and sometimes I blanch it or steam it for a salad (especially dinosaur kale). For smoothies, you have to blend the hell out of it, but you still get all the goodness.

However, I'm not insane. A friend of mine puts kale on pizza, and I ferociously scold him for this cross-food-group promiscuity. Kale belongs solely to the "good for me so I eat it" family, and pizza belongs to the "yummy stuff that I would every day forever" family. Some food items are permitted in both groups, depending on moon phase and current lineup of King Crimson. You will find a handy chart for this in @yek 's guide to food groups in the produce section of the wiki.

In summary: eating kale is like resetting your system parameters. Except you should eat kale more frequently.
Kale (like everything else) is perfectly tolerable sautéd in sufficient garlic

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom