Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.10

Auditory memory for frequency response is very poor. Many times we think we hear something that wasn't there before but we're mistaken.

FWIW here is a frequency response plot of 12.09 vs. 12.10 with a low E and high G input to your preset.

View attachment 69249

The plots are identical (measurement noise not withstanding).
Thank you Cliff for the comparison, much appreciated. Maybe I had a rough day yesterday... But I will try to down grade to 12.09, then record and compare with 12.10 :)

Reactions: J.C
@FractalAudio After updating, I found something really wierd, I was playing Metallica's "Nothing really matters", and the beginning of the verse sounds way off, e.g. try the following: Play open low E string and the high E string at 3rd fret, and let them both ring out.

It would sounds very off, like out-of-tune kind of distortion when the amp is dirty (but sounds ok when clean), it's most obvious on "Deluxe Tweed", also obvious on "Plexi 50W Jump" etc. I used the same app/settings before and after the update, and I don't remember hearing this out-of-tune weirdness before the update.

The issue is playing the single high E string at 3rd fret is fine, playing it with other strings seems fine, but together with open low E string, it sounds terrible...

Anyone else notice similar things, it makes me question my sanity...

(I play a single coil Tele FWIT. And see preset in attachment, it defaults to scene 4, where it has the Tweed amp drive "maxed", I normally rolled down volume knob quite a bit to play edge of breakup)

Perhaps try a fresh set of strings?

I will also personally take a trip to your house and ridicule you from your front lawn with a bullhorn.
[/QUOTE]
I would pay good money to see that😆

I will also personally take a trip to your house and ridicule you from your front lawn with a bullhorn.
I would pay good money to see that😆
[/QUOTE]
He tells you right there in the first post how to make it happen! I double-dog dare you to do it and make it happen! Lol

He tells you right there in the first post how to make it happen! I double-dog dare you to do it and make it happen! Lol
...and the gauntlet is thown down.

200.gif

@FractalAudio After updating, I found something really wierd, I was playing Metallica's "Nothing really matters", and the beginning of the verse sounds way off, e.g. try the following: Play open low E string and the high E string at 3rd fret, and let them both ring out.

It would sounds very off, like out-of-tune kind of distortion when the amp is dirty (but sounds ok when clean), it's most obvious on "Deluxe Tweed", also obvious on "Plexi 50W Jump" etc. I used the same app/settings before and after the update, and I don't remember hearing this out-of-tune weirdness before the update.

The issue is playing the single high E string at 3rd fret is fine, playing it with other strings seems fine, but together with open low E string, it sounds terrible...

Anyone else notice similar things, it makes me question my sanity...

(I play a single coil Tele FWIT. And see preset in attachment, it defaults to scene 4, where it has the Tweed amp drive "maxed", I normally rolled down volume knob quite a bit to play edge of breakup)
I tested this with 12.09 and I hear the same heavy crossover distortion... Weirdly, it only happens when playing low E open string and high E string at 3rd fret together... Playing high E string by itself or with any other (string, fret) sounds fine...

I have no idea why I didn't notice this before, here is a short recording of it, please tell me you guys hear what I am hearing. The following recording uses the scene 2 of the preset above with Plexi 50 Jump:

It does the same thing for me, and I'll bet that if I fired up one of my tube amps, it would do it there too. It almost sounds like there is a ghost Bb.

@FractalAudio - Thank you so much for this firmware and for fixing the 'crackling with 2 amps' isssue! This FW, like 2.09, sounds simply amazing and is so damn smooth. Best FW ever! (Until the next 'eCliffany', I suppose :) ). Take care and be well!

It does the same thing for me, and I'll bet that if I fired up one of my tube amps, it would do it there too. It almost sounds like there is a ghost Bb.
I don't have one to crank up right now, but I am not entirely sure about that....

Don’t play that interval. Problem solved. You’re welcome
Seriously? that's one of my favorite internals, and it's just a minor 3rd on the top....

I tested this with 12.09 and I hear the same heavy crossover distortion... Weirdly, it only happens when playing low E open string and high E string at 3rd fret together... Playing high E string by itself or with any other (string, fret) sounds fine...

I have no idea why I didn't notice this before, here is a short recording of it, please tell me you guys hear what I am hearing. The following recording uses the scene 2 of the preset above with Plexi 50 Jump:

I think what you are perceiving is called "intermodulation distortion." It's more pronounced with high gain.

Simultaneously: play an E note on the 12 fret high E string, a D note on the 15 fret of the b string, bend the D note up to match the E.

You'll hear a descending lower note that you are not fretting. Add distortion to really hear it. Tube amps do this too.

Last edited:
I think what you are perceiving is called "intermodulation distortion." It's more pronounced with high gain.

Simultaneously: play an E note on the 12 fret high E string, a D note on the 15 fret of the b string, bend the D note up to match the E.

You'll hear a descending lower note that you are not fretting. Add distortion to really hear it. Tube amps do this too.
I feel this dissonant distortion sounds a little bit excessive, now that my ears pick them out easily, I can hear these offending distortions on many not-so-distorted tones, e.g. edge of break up tones...

I am not sure if these are supposed to be this obvious on tube amps... Any suggestion to tweak them away, besides the obvious lowing the gain?

Back
Top Bottom