• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.10

Mark Al

Inspired
Auditory memory for frequency response is very poor. Many times we think we hear something that wasn't there before but we're mistaken.

FWIW here is a frequency response plot of 12.09 vs. 12.10 with a low E and high G input to your preset.

View attachment 69249

The plots are identical (measurement noise not withstanding).
Thank you Cliff for the comparison, much appreciated. Maybe I had a rough day yesterday... But I will try to down grade to 12.09, then record and compare with 12.10 :)

creativespiral

Inspired
@FractalAudio After updating, I found something really wierd, I was playing Metallica's "Nothing really matters", and the beginning of the verse sounds way off, e.g. try the following: Play open low E string and the high E string at 3rd fret, and let them both ring out.

It would sounds very off, like out-of-tune kind of distortion when the amp is dirty (but sounds ok when clean), it's most obvious on "Deluxe Tweed", also obvious on "Plexi 50W Jump" etc. I used the same app/settings before and after the update, and I don't remember hearing this out-of-tune weirdness before the update.

The issue is playing the single high E string at 3rd fret is fine, playing it with other strings seems fine, but together with open low E string, it sounds terrible...

Anyone else notice similar things, it makes me question my sanity...

(I play a single coil Tele FWIT. And see preset in attachment, it defaults to scene 4, where it has the Tweed amp drive "maxed", I normally rolled down volume knob quite a bit to play edge of breakup)
Perhaps try a fresh set of strings?

MJS68

I will also personally take a trip to your house and ridicule you from your front lawn with a bullhorn.
[/QUOTE]
I would pay good money to see that😆

Genghis

Power User
I will also personally take a trip to your house and ridicule you from your front lawn with a bullhorn.
I would pay good money to see that😆
[/QUOTE]
He tells you right there in the first post how to make it happen! I double-dog dare you to do it and make it happen! Lol

Mark Al

Inspired
@FractalAudio After updating, I found something really wierd, I was playing Metallica's "Nothing really matters", and the beginning of the verse sounds way off, e.g. try the following: Play open low E string and the high E string at 3rd fret, and let them both ring out.

It would sounds very off, like out-of-tune kind of distortion when the amp is dirty (but sounds ok when clean), it's most obvious on "Deluxe Tweed", also obvious on "Plexi 50W Jump" etc. I used the same app/settings before and after the update, and I don't remember hearing this out-of-tune weirdness before the update.

The issue is playing the single high E string at 3rd fret is fine, playing it with other strings seems fine, but together with open low E string, it sounds terrible...

Anyone else notice similar things, it makes me question my sanity...

(I play a single coil Tele FWIT. And see preset in attachment, it defaults to scene 4, where it has the Tweed amp drive "maxed", I normally rolled down volume knob quite a bit to play edge of breakup)
I tested this with 12.09 and I hear the same heavy crossover distortion... Weirdly, it only happens when playing low E open string and high E string at 3rd fret together... Playing high E string by itself or with any other (string, fret) sounds fine...

I have no idea why I didn't notice this before, here is a short recording of it, please tell me you guys hear what I am hearing. The following recording uses the scene 2 of the preset above with Plexi 50 Jump:

DougB415

Inspired
It does the same thing for me, and I'll bet that if I fired up one of my tube amps, it would do it there too. It almost sounds like there is a ghost Bb.

celongcor

Inspired
@FractalAudio - Thank you so much for this firmware and for fixing the 'crackling with 2 amps' isssue! This FW, like 2.09, sounds simply amazing and is so damn smooth. Best FW ever! (Until the next 'eCliffany', I suppose :) ). Take care and be well!

Mark Al

Inspired
It does the same thing for me, and I'll bet that if I fired up one of my tube amps, it would do it there too. It almost sounds like there is a ghost Bb.
I don't have one to crank up right now, but I am not entirely sure about that....

Don’t play that interval. Problem solved. You’re welcome
Seriously? that's one of my favorite internals, and it's just a minor 3rd on the top....

zedeloc

I tested this with 12.09 and I hear the same heavy crossover distortion... Weirdly, it only happens when playing low E open string and high E string at 3rd fret together... Playing high E string by itself or with any other (string, fret) sounds fine...

I have no idea why I didn't notice this before, here is a short recording of it, please tell me you guys hear what I am hearing. The following recording uses the scene 2 of the preset above with Plexi 50 Jump:
I think what you are perceiving is called "intermodulation distortion." It's more pronounced with high gain.

Simultaneously: play an E note on the 12 fret high E string, a D note on the 15 fret of the b string, bend the D note up to match the E.

You'll hear a descending lower note that you are not fretting. Add distortion to really hear it. Tube amps do this too.

Last edited:

Mark Al

Inspired
I think what you are perceiving is called "intermodulation distortion." It's more pronounced with high gain.

Simultaneously: play an E note on the 12 fret high E string, a D note on the 15 fret of the b string, bend the D note up to match the E.

You'll hear a descending lower note that you are not fretting. Add distortion to really hear it. Tube amps do this too.
I feel this dissonant distortion sounds a little bit excessive, now that my ears pick them out easily, I can hear these offending distortions on many not-so-distorted tones, e.g. edge of break up tones...

I am not sure if these are supposed to be this obvious on tube amps... Any suggestion to tweak them away, besides the obvious lowing the gain?

Top Bottom