Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

I know these are both Old News, but there are two upgrades here that really got my attention.

First off, that JFET compressor is pretty close to perfect. Really pretty much what I always wanted in a clean-tone compressor, but could never quite find. Just wonderful. Gotta go replace the comp in all my clean scenes now...

And of course the pitch blocks are greatly improved. Not perfect by any means, but in context, and relative to both the prior version and other pitch devices I've tried, they're quite good. Very usable.

So big kudos Cliff, well done!

Really, the III is such a cool box of fun, I'm hooked.

@FractalAudio (Cliff & team) - I have to say this is the most beautiful, motivating, realistic, diverse and just wonderful firmware you have ever produced. Thanks from the bottom of my heart, 'cause it's this sound that motivates me to try to make music and I love it.

Pauly

I think differently here. FAS just has to turn to new new amp modifications and effects and even more power in the authenticity of the former indigenous amp. Or is the modeling technology already exhausted? I do not think so.

I think differently here. FAS just has to turn to new new amp modifications and effects and even more power in the authenticity of the former indigenous amp. Or is the modeling technology already exhausted? I do not think so.
if you're saying that Fractal should continue to improve the modeling, then they always are.

Hi Guys, a few of you have reported some presets in the 12.07 firmware version of the 1400+ Naked Amps TonePack may be causing clicks or pops in the latest firmware 12.09 (like the Orange Dual Rectifier).

Rather than you making posts about Naked Amps TonePack issues here under the new 12.09 firmware on this thread -- please don't, this thread is more for 12.09 firmware feedback for Cliff and Company, not a third-party vendor product -- I'd ask that you go to this existing Naked Amps thread and let me know there what amp preset/scenes are causing you issues please.

By doing so, that helps me compile a list of known TonePack preset issues, if you will. Then, I'll check them out soon and post there in that thread on potential solutions.

The link is also here:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ble-now-for-firmware-12-x.140757/post-1948050

Appreciate it!
Appreciate the acknowledgement of this issue here, Austin. I fully agree that FW release threads should not be hijacked by 3d party vendor discussions (and even more so Dave Chappelle sketch characters). However, I think this issue is perhaps a little different. For background, I note that it was initially raised (to my awareness) around 5 weeks ago by the following pre-12.09 thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/weird-issue-with-sound-cutting-out.161329/#post-1931740

The thread was several guys sharing notes and arriving at a conclusion that the common denominator was AB preset usage, or use of AB preset amp blocks in user created presets (Cliff did, however, readily point out early in the thread that this was a 3d party issue). As apparently one of the first to run into these issues, I have to say, I about lost my mind trying to figure out what was going on with the intermittent audio drops. One's first thought isn't "I wonder if it's the amp block in my preset that's causing these drops?" Rather, the identified symptoms (intermittent audio drops, clicks, pops, thuds, etc.) would, to most, indicate a bad cable (see, e.g., the recent "if you read nothing else" thread) or, even worse, potentially a hardware issue. I suspect that there has been a lot of collective time wasted by folks trying to figure out what is causing these symptoms when they encounter them. As such, I think a more affirmative message should be included in this thread. If you are using Austin Buddy presets or amp blocks derived from AB presets in FW 12.09 (or any FW release following 12.07), you may experience audio dropouts, clicks, pops, etc. If you experience any of these symptoms, you will need to roll back to FW 12.07 or reset/replace the amp block in the preset with a current amp block. See AB's post and https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/weird-issue-with-sound-cutting-out.161329/#post-1931740. I would personally suggest the latter, as the amp is going to sound better in 12.09. I can attest that this issue impacts the JTM 45 and '59 Bassman amps from the preset packs (the only two that I have used post-12.07 with amp blocks inherited from the those presets).

I am hoping that this will help others to avoid needless time troubleshooting and head scratching. Although, always a good idea to check that cable . . . :)

Noticed something that isn't a bug, but probably not intended. Almost any Plex Detune in the new presets that is not on channel A or the default when you go to the scene or preset is set at 0% mix, -80db level, and panned hard left so you get no sound when it is on. Load the first 59 Bassguy preset, turn on the Plex Delay and go to Channel B for an example.

If this was intended, I can't figure out why.

Noticed something that isn't a bug, but probably not intended. Almost any Plex Detune in the new presets that is not on channel A or the default when you go to the scene or preset is set at 0% mix, -80db level, and panned hard left so you get no sound when it is on. Load the first 59 Bassguy preset, turn on the Plex Delay and go to Channel B for an example.

If this was intended, I can't figure out why.
It’s an old block who’s settings aren’t loading correctly. Reset the channel and it’ll be fine.

That's my favorite song from that album. Very nicely done, and that tone is killer. I love the clarity in the top end and your low end is set perfectly! I love how the low notes sound deep without being boomy. I gotta try that Small Box again. How did you have it set, and which IR did you use for it? Mix or single mic?
Thank you!

I've got the Small Box set like this:
Trim - .5
Gain - 5.5
Bass - 7
Mid - 4
Treb - 5
Pres - 2
Master - 4
Going into your Marshall Blackjack 4x12, Mix 03

And the Boutique 1 set like this:
Trim - .75
Gain - 5.7
Bass - 3
Mid - 4
Treb - 5
High Cut - 7
Master - 10
Going into your Matchless 2x12, Mix 01

Hi cut on both cabs is set to 15k-ish. The Boutique 1 level is set 5db lower than the Small Box. SUPER complimentary and takes to chewy chord progressions like this with zero effort haha

I don't want to be "that guy" and if this was discussed in one of the 300+ posts in this thread i'm sorry i missed it, but is anybody getting a major amount of warbling still using virtual capo on cleans? I hear all the demos of the new pitch algorithm and they sound great, but whenever i load up virtual capo (or use any other pitch block) i get an almost tremolo style modulation that i don't hear in other demos. Tried different cables/guitars and it still happens. Distortion tends to mask it enough to where its a non-issue there, but as soon as its gone, i hear it, even when playing back a recording, so its not just hearing the strings acoustically. Everything else sounds great, and i especially love the new compressors. If its something i'm doing/not doing, I'd like to fix it. For the time being though, my POG and Whammy DT are staying until i get this sorted.

i get an almost tremolo style modulation that i don't hear in other demos.

I think Cliff said that some of that is expected given the method he's using. In 12.08b4 I had noticed a clear stuttering/vibrato with large down shifts (e.g. -12). I posted a recording and preset and he fixed it.

I suggest posting a recording and a preset to see if it can be reproduced and if it is "expected" or can be addressed by Cliff/FAS.

I experience unfortunately in this update 12.09, that some Amp is cracking and popping in some few specific high gain amps when I turn on the "out compression" in dynamics page in amp block? This is for me the Friedman BE V1, and the Friedman HBE and Friedman HBE V2 and the Friedman BE.. Maybe more Friedman amp does this.. It's both with high and low master volume level. Others who experience these..? Is this "the digital wall"?
I just turn a little "Out compression on" (In dynamics page amp block 1.3 -1.5) and I hear this annoying pops and cracking..?

I experience unfortunately in this update 12.09, that some Amp is cracking and popping in some few specific high gain amps when I turn on the "out compression" in dynamics page in amp block? This is for me the Friedman BE V1, and the Friedman HBE and Friedman HBE V2 and the Friedman BE.. Maybe more Friedman amp does this.. It's both with high and low master volume level. Others who experience these..? Is this "the digital wall"?
I just turn a little "Out compression on" (In dynamics page amp block 1.3 -1.5) and I hear this annoying pops and cracking..?
Are you running two amp blocks? If so this is a known bug.

If not please post the preset.

Back
Top Bottom