Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

I am not very familiar with bank A ~ D.
I haven’t changed factory presets, but I have my important preset at 409.
How do I know if 409 is sitting in D?
There are 128 presets per bank. It all depends if you start with Preset 0 or Preset 1 (I use 1). Bank A has Presets 1-128. B has 129-256. C has 257-384. D has 385-512. Therefore, preset 409 is in Bank D.

You're making my doubt my own perception with this video, I thought I heard a much bigger difference on the high end when playing with the new firmware but in your comparison it's really subtle.
So was it placebo or is it youtube's compression masking details?
I noticed this - in the vid I didn't really hear that much difference but attributed it to listening through a PC and YouTube. I found the differences to be MUCH easier to hear when actually playing through them.

All new amps get overhyped. One day it's the Archon which then fades into obscurity. The next day it's Bogner's latest amp named after an Egyptian/Roman/Norse/Himalayan god. Then it's the Death Reaper Satanic Neutron Blaster that is "so tight and brootal". And then everyone is back to the classics.

Right now it's the Revv Generator. In a month people will be bored with it.
So what I'm hearing is; there is a chance we are getting a Bogner Helios in the next FW? F*ck yes. Sign me up.

I wouldn't sell the SLO. It's one of those amps that will probably increase in value. They're pretty awesome amps but to sound great you have to crank 'em and they're ear-splitting loud.

An SLO and a Twin Reverb would be my live rig if someone else was carrying it and I actually got to play someplace that could handle the volume because neither achieves the magic until they're really f**king loud.

To my ears, this is easily the most impressive firmware update in a long, long time. Every single preset where I was struggling with harshness in the high end is just FIXED. It feels like all the fatiguing frequencies are tamed and the top end is now just pleasant chime-y-ness. Absolutely knocked it out of the park.

I remember when there was hype around Krank (I think Dethklok was a big part of that) and then they just sort of imploded. I didn't think they were all that impressive.
To be fair, that company was not well run and their marquee endorser was murdered before he could cut any classics with their gear. So there's that.

I generally do not assume a company being out of business necessarily means their product was bad... although that certainly can be a root cause, the business situation might be completely orthogonal to product excellence (or non-excellence), so many things can tank a company, especially in a niche industry. My understanding was their product line was pretty spotty but they had a couple of really excellent offerings.

I think we have come a ways from the Ultra and early II days where folks would just randomly request every single new amp they saw at NAMM on the wish list forum. :D

I'm happy to take anything Cliff deems worthy/doable at this point, although, like most, I have my personal model hopes and dreams still (ADA, Sunn, Randall/Fortin, Orange OR120, Kl*n, etc).

The current stable is definitely awesome with very few notable gaps or omissions and a few eclectic choices to spice things up to be sure. Awesome to be able to explore all this with a single device that is always improving.

I am very happy about this update! The annoying, "toing-toing" around 5K is gone! It's very pleasant now!
The new tube made a difference as well. I was not expecting that difference! The variac is more noticeable now!

Thank you!!

I was able to download the firmware update fine, but when I click on the Factory Preset Banks, it just opens the page for the AxeFx 3. No file is downloaded. I’ve tried using Safari and Firefox, but the same thing is happening.

I'm flashing the preset banks now. I'm curious how much has changed. Subtle tweaks? Replacements? Can't play them until after work but I'm interested in seeing what's changed.

So we have a bunch of Plexis. The '69 50W is my favorite. Never gave much thought to why I always gravitate to that one but it just sounds the best to me.

I was walking by the stack of amps today and glanced at the power tubes in the '69. I never even gave it any thought before but the tubes are much larger diameter than a typical EL34. So I pulled one out and it says "GE 6CA7/EL34". I looked at the construction and, sure enough, it's a beam tetrode.

Yes, the difference is most noticeable in the highs.

I find I can push the highs a lot more now too without it getting harsh and spikey. I just made a preset using the Mr Z MZ-38 which isn't a model I normally use. The amp has little tone shaping of it's own so I always find it too dark and murky for distorted tones. So I put a treble booster in front of it and it sounds great. Usually that would make me cringe but it's not harsh at all.
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm also hearing more "ghosting" (the good kind) in the DC30 DF86 model and perhaps slightly more headroom (I'm running a pedalboard into the Axe)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom