Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.09

I've been enjoying trying out all of the different great sounding compressors, and the Fender amps I've tried so far sound really good.

Falling in love all over again with the Hipower Jumpered in 12.09....

6CA7s, bump up the presence a tad, fatten up the bias a bit, bump up the hardness a bit, and boom! The top end is more delicate and less aggressive, but it's super detailed and sparkles like it's surrounded by phosphorescent pixie dust....

I know I'm being redundant here, but I gotta say, this FW release is just...WOW (or HSB for you veterans ;-)) !! Everything about it just feels so smooth and so right. Even amps that I've never really connected with sound so damn good! I'm blown away by this one. Thanks for gettin' 'er done, @FractalAudio + Team . This is a masterpiece!!

Dang, I guess my ears are beyond gone, as I truly canโ€™t discern any diff as I change which tubes the power section is using. 6CA7โ€™s sound EXACTLY the same as EL34s, EL84s or even KT88s. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ Oh well, at least I can still hear the overall kick-ass tone 12.09 is generating. ๐Ÿ‘

Dang, I guess my ears are beyond gone, as I truly canโ€™t discern any diff as I change which tubes the power section is using. 6CA7โ€™s sound EXACTLY the same as EL34s, EL84s or even KT88s. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ Oh well, at least I can still hear the overall kick-ass tone 12.09 is generating. ๐Ÿ‘
Depends on what you're monitoring through as well and your setup. What are you running the axe through?

With power amp disables either by turning Sag to off or turning power amp modeling off does this update affect the preamp section of the amp block?

Depends on what you're monitoring through as well and your setup. What are you running the axe through?
Thanks Jon. Yeah, so true. I was monitoring through my Adam Ax7a's earlier and this evening through some headphones. I'm noticing ever so small a change w headphones, but, some of my hearing went the way of the dinosaur back in the 70's & 80's. And I'm playing my Carvin solid mahogany with hot p/u's. Thanks for the assist. Cheers, Lee

Last edited:
Reactions: jon
Thanks Jon. Yeah, so true. I was monitoring through my Adam Ax7a's earlier and this evening through some headphones. I'm noticing ever so small a change w headphones, but, some of my hearing went the way of the dinosaur back in the 70's & 80's. And I'm playing my Carvin solid mahogany with hot p/u's. Thanks for the assist. Cheers, Lee
You're not alone, I don't hear much of a difference changing power tubes either. I think it was mentioned in a post that the tubes are normalized to match the transformer. In the wiki there's a quote from cliff where he explains that power tubes don't really have a tone themselves. I wish there was a non normalized mode/option so there would be a more apparent difference when running different power tubes. Thing is, I don't know of many amps that let you switch freely between power tube types. I know a lot of Mesa amps have a bias switch for el34 and 6l6 and I think the road king let's you blend them. I don't sweat it though, there's plenty for me to tweak, I love tinkering with advanced parameters.

You're not alone, I don't hear much of a difference changing power tubes either. I think it was mentioned in a post that the tubes are normalized to match the transformer. In the wiki there's a quote from cliff where he explains that power tubes don't really have a tone themselves. I wish there was a non normalized mode/option so there would be a more apparent difference when running different power tubes. Thing is, I don't know of many amps that let you switch freely between power tube types. I know a lot of Mesa amps have a bias switch for el34 and 6l6 and I think the road king let's you blend them. I don't sweat it though, there's plenty for me to tweak, I love tinkering with advanced parameters.

I've never been able to hear a difference between different tube type settings in Axfx, but have also read the explanations in the past so I understand there are related factors that must also change to hear tube type differences. What I wish for is a method for users to set all related tube type paramters in a way that results in the related sonic differences everybody talks about.

@yoitsmegabe Thanks for that! I recalled that same discussion when I was reading some of the comments. And yeah, many real amps do require some physical mods In order to allow a swap to a different type power tube, like swapping the 6550 to EL34 in the Marshall. Still, the tones are blowing me away in 12.09! I made a quick preset last night with the โ€œrecipeโ€ Cliff shared for a Vibroverb he was enjoying. I added a few things and it was rocking! So many usable tones! Cheers! @sprint

Here is my take on Cliff's Vibroverb 'recipe". Took it to another place, with just a few quick adjustments/additions Hope others find it as easy to get enjoyable tones, as this one is for me.

Attachments

• 12.09 VV cooking LL.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 44
I used to be worried about clean tones being too sterile (pre axe 2 days), but now I'm 100% addicted to using any of these amps to get something that has a TON of character that I hardly ever run the gain high anymore. Loving these updates lately!

That's my favorite song from that album. Very nicely done, and that tone is killer. I love the clarity in the top end and your low end is set perfectly! I love how the low notes sound deep without being boomy. I gotta try that Small Box again. How did you have it set, and which IR did you use for it? Mix or single mic?

That's my favorite song from that album. Very nicely done, and that tone is killer. I love the clarity in the top end and your low end is set perfectly! I love how the low notes sound deep without being boomy. I gotta try that Small Box again. How did you have it set, and which IR did you use for it? Mix or single mic?
Smallbox used to be my fav Marshally amp in the box, by far my fav real life Friedman amp. I actually prefer the SB and the DS to the BE in real life, in the box I use the BE more....go figure.

Thanks for the updated presets! Much appreciated as well as the FW updates. Axe FX 3 is such a joy to use.

The Fenders on 10 are a hoot. Try this:
Vibrato Verb AB
Input Drive: 10
Bass: 3.7
Treble: 10
Cab: Factory 1 997

It's got that James Gang thing going on.

So juicy. The Vibroverb is such an excellent amp for this.

Back
Top Bottom