Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed something unexpected with the new compressor types Attack Time in conjunction with Global Blocks.

Example: I set up the Studio FB Compressor 1 with an Attack Time of 30 ms and store it into a Global Block.
When I switch to another preset and create a new compressor block and recall the previously stored global block, the Attack Time is OK.
But when I switch to a preset which already contains the global compressor block, the Attack Time is wrong (in this case 44.813 ms instead of 30 ms). The other parameters are OK.

UPDATE: This only happens with Axe-Edit. If I do it via the front panel everything is OK!

Last edited:
I have been thinking about the new upward compressors.

I think, it is pretty unique to have these available in a guitar processor. But they totally make sense, if you want to enhance sustain, upwards compression really is the natural choice, it will amplify the tail of the notes while keeping the transients untouched.

But there is one caveat for live use. When the guitar is silent, an upward compressor is in theory applying infinite gain to the signal (but silence means that signal level is minus infinity, so that is OK), but if you accidentally make the smallest noise on the guitar, it might get amplified quite a bit before the compressor relaxes.

Is there a limit to the applied gain in these compressors? should there be? Would it be better or just as good to have a gain reduction limit on the standard downwards compressors (then you can achieve the same resulting compression curve). I am just thinking that upward compression is a quite advanced technique that might throw off some people. Personally, I think it is awesome.

(The release was too late for me last night. I will do some testing tonight.)

I have been thinking about the new upward compressors.

I think, it is pretty unique to have these available in a guitar processor. But they totally make sense, if you want to enhance sustain, upwards compression really is the natural choice, it will amplify the tail of the notes while keeping the transients untouched.

But there is one caveat for live use. When the guitar is silent, an upward compressor is in theory applying infinite gain to the signal (but silence means that signal level is minus infinity, so that is OK), but if you accidentally make the smallest noise on the guitar, it might get amplified quite a bit before the compressor relaxes.

Is there a limit to the applied gain in these compressors? should there be? Would it be better or just as good to have a gain reduction limit on the standard downwards compressors (then you can achieve the same resulting compression curve). I am just thinking that upward compression is a quite advanced technique that might throw off some people. Personally, I think it is awesome.

(The release was too late for me last night. I will do some testing tonight.)
There is a gain limit (40 dB IIRC). For precisely that reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom