Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Super stupid question... but what is the difference of the 6165+ Clean Bright, and the 6165+ Clean with the bright switch in the Axe-Fx engaged? I thought that's what it modeled, the bright switch on the clean channel of 6165+ :blush: Sorry if it's been asked before!

Super stupid question... but what is the difference of the 6165+ Clean Bright, and the 6165+ Clean with the bright switch in the Axe-Fx engaged? I thought that's what it modeled, the bright switch on the clean channel of 6165+ :blush: Sorry if it's been asked before!

The bright switch on the models is for a bright cap, a capacitor across the volume pot on many amps which lets some of the high end through no matter the volume setting. Amps that had it on a switch could connect or disconnect it to get either a more even sound at all volume/gain levels, or keep it connected to make for a brighter sound with more high end at lower volume/gain settings which would even out as the knob was increased. And on amps where it wasn't switchable, it was a very common mod to either add or remove the cap, or adjust it's value for a different amount of bright frequencies.

(I say volume/gain because on a clean channel it would be called volume more often, but on an overdrive channel it would be called gain. but in both cases, it was just the first input gain control.)

The 5150 II/6505+ amps also had a bright switch, but it wasn't actually a bright cap. It was a separate tone network that would engage a treble cut if bright was disengaged. So although the models had a bright switch, this was the bright cap that is available on every amp model on the ideal controls, and not the bright function that existed on the amp. So now we can mix and match both.

The bright switch on the models is for a bright cap, a capacitor across the volume pot on many amps which lets some of the high end through no matter the volume setting. Amps that had it on a switch could connect or disconnect it to get either a more even sound at all volume/gain levels, or keep it connected to make for a brighter sound with more high end at lower volume/gain settings which would even out as the knob was increased. And on amps where it wasn't switchable, it was a very common mod to either add or remove the cap, or adjust it's value for a different amount of bright frequencies.

(I say volume/gain because on a clean channel it would be called volume more often, but on an overdrive channel it would be called gain. but in both cases, it was just the first input gain control.)

The 5150 II/6505+ amps also had a bright switch, but it wasn't actually a bright cap. It was a separate tone network that would engage a treble cut if bright was disengaged. So although the models had a bright switch, this was the bright cap that is available on every amp model on the ideal controls, and not the bright function that existed on the amp. So now we can mix and match both.

WOW!!! Did not know that. Thanks for the education lesson. 👍

WOW!!! Did not know that. Thanks for the education lesson. 👍
FYI:
The Bright Switch models the "bright cap" across the drive/gain/volume/comodjulator pot. Some amps have no bright cap, some amps have a hardwired bright cap and some amps give you a switch to turn it on/off. A bright cap increases treble as the pot is turned down. The original impetus for this was that guitars with weak pickups tend to be brighter and guitars with hot pickups tend to be darker. So you're likely to turn the gain up for the guitar with weak pickups which reduces treble response. On the guitar with hot pickups you're likely to turn the gain down which increases treble response to counteract the darker tone.

So Axe Edit shows 12.08 beta, I did a after firmware refresh, but the "granularity" control on the Plex Detune isn't there, still shows crossfade.

What have I done wrong?

i think so 13.0
i wonder if this one will get ported to the FM3 in time or if will prove to CPU intensive for the little guy
No way they'd be struggling with CPU power for that thing after being out for only a year. They've got years of updates planned for that thing.

out for a year?

several months at best

Doubtful. As Cliff has stated before, these things aren't designed with planned obsolescence like cell phones are. The AX8 had years of support and plus all Ares-based devices share a code base that's designed to be as portable as possible. Maintaining updates for all Ares products will be trivial for Fractal compared to the last generation of Fractal products.

Doubtful. As Cliff has stated before, these things aren't designed with planned obsolescence like cell phones are. The AX8 had years of support and plus all Ares-based devices share a code base that's designed to be as portable as possible. Maintaining updates for all Ares products will be trivial for Fractal compared to the last generation of Fractal products.
not sure what you find doubtful; the ship dates on the fm3 are a matter of record. are you maybe replying to someone else?

No way they'd be struggling with CPU power for that thing after being out for only a year. They've got years of updates planned for that thing.

I don't think its struggling but there are going to be certain things the Axe3 can do that the Fm3 just won't be able , Cliff has said most of the Axe3 will trickle down to other Ares based products , Pitch shifting is a tough one it uses a LOT of cpu
Its not so much of running out of CPU but you will have to start maybe being creative or cut a block here and there
I also expect when Ultra res IR arrives the cpu will take a few % hit based on the Axe 3 numbers

No I'm doubting the idea all of them stopping firmware updates for the FM3 anytime soon. It just got into people's hands this year, after all.
ah, yes. this was my sentiment as well. there will likely be years of updates for the FM3, and when there is limited horsepower, cliff is likely to limit things by having fewer blocks instead of just not having a feature at all (if the past is any indication of the future)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom