Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta 4

Had this issue occur twice now on Beta 4: my guitar signal drops and is replaced by just a high-er pitched noise but not feedback. Like a digital high pitched noise if that makes any sense. Only fix is turning off the Axe and turning it back on. It's not a super loud noise (thankfully). Currently have the Axe connected Via USB to my iMac and through SPDIF to a Scarlett 8i6. The sound was coming out of Out 2 which goes to my Headrush. No other outputs are connected to anything.

I shut it off before I tried unplugging anything (like the USB or SPDIF) but wondered if anyone has heard something like that. Checked the Scarlett and it was still synced at 48k.

I'm using a guitar with passive pickups so not a battery issue. Guitar cable has been fine but I'll swap it out tomorrow just to rule it out.

I was concerned it was going to start screaming so I shut off the Axe quickly.
Same issue here!

I don’t think this has something to do with the late beta firmware. I had it happened some months ago. No idea what triggers this noise.

Hi PM, when you say reboot resolved it are you saying switched of switched on or was there more to it? Thanks :)

Just power cycle. Happened twice, both times the same switch on the fc-12. Power cycle resolved in each case, and have not had it since. Just to clarify, I’m not on the current beta, only mention as others have reported same symptom here.

Same here, some kind of hum more than usual on the middle single coil disappearing and reoccurring again, last night. I'm in late beta 4 with FC12. I can't confirm that this is somehow connected to FC12.

I have been trying to reamp and has worked for me
@FractalAudio bybthe way you mentioned you were working in the Chorus algorithm- is there any chance the Boss CE1 can be added or shall we stick to the Waza as the closest alternative?
Thanks for your reply in advance mate

It'd be really cool if Cliff had seen the thread on emulating the TC Mimic and was having a stab at developing something equivalent in the III

I am not sure if it's a new thing. I was just scrolling through amps with default settings and noticed the level difference of the amps.
Sometimes there is a 12 dB difference.
For example: Boutique 1 is hitting -6dB on output 1 while 65 Bassguy Bass is around +7dB.

Is this normal? I haven't noticed this before.

I also downloaded Pete Thorn's presets and the Pete Plexi preset was waaay to hot on output 1 around +7dB! They were released as 12.07. Were they made on 12.07 or they were just imported and released on that?

Last edited:
yeah i noticed that pete's output was different across the presets. I was curious to see how he did his output levels, the clean vs the Plexi was significant

I am not sure if it's a new thing. I was just scrolling through amps with default settings and noticed the level difference of the amps.
For example: Boutique 1 is hitting -6dB on output 1 while 65 Bassguy Bass is around +7dB.

It's normal and it sucks but it's not going to change

I guess it has to do with every firmware that changes the modeling algorithms. If there's any change to the virtual components in the amp I assume it has some effect to the resulting output level, sometimes more or less between certain 'families' e.g. the Fenders, Marshalls, AC types, etc...

I assume it's just a waste of time to track and level EVERY single amp EVERY single time they put a new FW rev up.

In the end, once you start messing with any amp's settings you'll end up adjusting the output level anyways. No biggie...

I also downloaded Pete Thorn's presets and the Pete Plexi preset was waaay to hot on output 1 around +7dB! They were released as 12.07. Were they made on 12.07 or they were just imported and released on that?
It's been this way for years. I bring in an amp, and after setting up the preset with effects, etc., I just increase the level of the Amp block, until it matches my other presets.

Just to say it, this is a seriously moving target.

People with higher output guitars will hear clean sounds as loud relative to distorted ones, because the distortion limits volume, but the cleans don't.
Guitars with different frequency responses will interact with that situation in different ways.
All of this is complicated by the varying responses of people's playback environments.

Just make your stuff how you like it and move on.

Just to say it, this is a seriously moving target.

People with higher output guitars will hear clean sounds as loud relative to distorted ones, because the distortion limits volume, but the cleans don't.
Guitars with different frequency responses will interact with that situation in different ways.
All of this is complicated by the varying responses of people's playback environments.

Just make your stuff how you like it and move on.
In other words, just like real amps in the real world. In nearly 50 years of playing, I've never had a real amp that didn't need adjustment depending on the guitar i was putting in front of it, pedals, the room I was in, etc.

As just ONE example, there's absolutely no reason for the Princeton models to vary greatly in level. Has nothing to do with amp wattage or different guitars/pickups. Obviously a 100 watt Marshall is louder than a 15 watt Princeton but when you're recording (or playing live for that matter), they're going to be relatively balanced in level whether in a track or thru the PA/FRFR. So why can't the amp models be leveled? I'm telling you, when you reset an amp channel and go searching thru the amps it's annoying as all hell when you're speakers get blasted. We've been thru this issue a million times, it's not going to change. So be it.

It's been this way for years. I bring in an amp, and after setting up the preset with effects, etc., I just increase the level of the Amp block, until it matches my other presets.

I am ok with it, but I have only been using a few MArshalls and few Fenders and haven't noticed the volume difference. I was just worried it's not on purpose. It's an easy fix.

Thanks, guys!

Back
Top Bottom