Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely. There will probably be another beta before a release version.

I've been slaving away all week on the pitch shifter. It's very, very good now. I'm now using a wavelet approach for the pitch detection. This provides even faster detection than before and increases the low frequency detection by an octave which makes shifting chords smoother.

I still want to do an overhaul of the Chorus using the techniques that were used in the Flanger. I also have some ideas on reverb (although the reverb is pretty great already).

Meanwhile, 12.09 is watching with envy how 12.08 is getting all the good stuff.

I've often thought It would be great to have the spring verb built into the amp models that have one. Seems to me before or after the amp just isn’t the same.
Between amp and speaker gets you closer. I also do this with the harmonic trem on the 6G4 ans 6G12....

12 is shaping up to be one of the biggest and best updates for the III. Without looking, does anyone even remember everything that has been added in 12?

TBH the Spring Reverb is quite far away from sounding like a real spring reverb. Compare it with e.g. any IR based reverb plug-in, or with a real-life Twin Reverb... some room for improvement here IMHO
I find the spring reverb excellent. I think it may be your settings. Can you give us some examples on how you are setting it?

I still want to do an overhaul of the Chorus using the techniques that were used in the Flanger. I also have some ideas on reverb (although the reverb is pretty great already).

maxresdefault.jpg

I find the spring reverb excellent. I think it may be your settings. Can you give us some examples on how you are setting it?
Maybe you can help be with my settings then. I'd like something more close to what a convolution reverb like Logic's Space Designer sounds like with a spring reverb impulse response. This "splashy" (or whatever I should call it) sound also found in the real thing. Please compare the attached files, one recorded with Logic (Amp simulation is Logic's Amp Designer which frankly sucks, compared to AXE FX III, Reverb is Space Designer using a spring reverb impulse response), one recorded with AXE FX III. The reverb tail of the AXE recording sounds quite synthetic and lacks the "splashy"-ness heard in the Space Designer variant.

Attachments

• Compare these.zip
    281.9 KB · Views: 24
Maybe you can help be with my settings then. I'd like something more close to what a convolution reverb like Logic's Space Designer sounds like with a spring reverb impulse response. This "splashy" (or whatever I should call it) sound also found in the real thing. Please compare the attached files, one recorded with Logic (Amp simulation is Logic's Amp Designer which frankly sucks, compared to AXE FX III, Reverb is Space Designer using a spring reverb impulse response), one recorded with AXE FX III. The reverb tail of the AXE recording sounds quite synthetic and lacks the "splashy"-ness heard in the Space Designer variant.

Which Spring Reverb are you using for this clip on the Axe? I get good results out of the default settings with the Deluxe Spring Reverb.

Unlikely. There will probably be another beta before a release version.

I've been slaving away all week on the pitch shifter. It's very, very good now. I'm now using a wavelet approach for the pitch detection. This provides even faster detection than before and increases the low frequency detection by an octave which makes shifting chords smoother.

Wonderful!

The only difference I hear is that the space designer sample sounds like it has a quite aggressive high-cut going on, maybe try turning it down on the axe fx reverb block

Which Spring Reverb are you using for this clip on the Axe? I get good results out of the default settings with the Deluxe Spring Reverb.
Tried that as well, doesn't really help with the "synthetic" sound of the reverb tail. Listen how the reverb decays in these new attached examples. Anyway, as no one here seems to hear what I hear I guess I should better shut up ;-). As I use the AXE FX III mainly for recording purposes, I guess I can always insert a Space Designer via send/return into my FX chain.

Attachments

• Deluxe Spring Reverb vs Convolution based reverb.zip
    165.7 KB · Views: 23
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom