Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the latest beta updates including the awesome Virtual Capo, I assume it's still not possible to use the Axe FX to do a real-time Drop D tuning due to just technical limitations of the pickups? Thanks!
It cannot guess which string is the low E string from a single source of audio.

Theoretically you could do it with a hex pickup, a breakout box, and 6 Axes all processing one individual string. 😉
Does this mean there's a hexaphonic Axe in the future? Septaphonic? Octaphonic? Do they make individual-string split pickups for more than 6 strings?

EDIT: Before anyone misconstrues anything, this is mostly in jest, it's not a feature request ;)

Last edited:
Theoretically you could do it with a hex pickup, a breakout box, and 6 Axes all processing one individual string. 😉
Why 6 Axes? Three should be enough for processing 6 individual string. But if you sum 5 strings and the low E separate 1 Axe is enough (using Input 2 which is stereo).

hmm, maybe I'll try that, I have a hex pickup laying around somewhere.

Why 6 Axes? Three should be enough for processing 6 individual string. But if you sum 5 strings and the low E separate 1 Axe is enough (using Input 2 which is stereo).

hmm, maybe I'll try that, I have a hex pickup laying around somewhere.

Initially I was thinking you'd get a weird effect, because if all 6 strings are processed by a separate amp it won't be the same as distorting a single chord. And I was thinking you'd get a similar weirdness but even more pronounced with 5 and 1. But then I remembered that after the VC you could sum the two signals back together again and actually it would probably work fine. In fact, you shouldn't get any of the warbling either because you're only detecting and processing pitch on a single string.

I’m having an issue. When I uploaded some new Presets it doesn’t activate the drive block properly. When I scroll in “Edit” up or down and then back to the drive it seems to activate it, but nothing without taking that action. Any advice on how to fix this? The block is active, just not functioning...

I don't have a tc electronic mimiq pedal but I watched a few youtube demos and got what I thought sounded better with the new pitch shifting. A little tweaking and we should have a killer double or quad tracking effect.

I’m having an issue. When I uploaded some new Presets it doesn’t activate the drive block properly. When I scroll in “Edit” up or down and then back to the drive it seems to activate it, but nothing without taking that action. Any advice on how to fix this? The block is active, just not functioning...

If you haven't already rebooted your axe, you can try that. Best of luck and chime back in if you are still struggling with the same.

where are these presets from?
and can you post one of them to the forum?

Ugh. This is Joel de Guzman's company. That guy is a bit naive about DSP and signal processing in general. He came on here years ago trying to tell me that video cards were the future of audio DSP. I tried to explain to him that audio DSP is inherently a sequential problem and that massive parallelism doesn't help you. It's the assembly line conundrum. Parallelism makes more shoes per minute but it doesn't make the pair you want any faster.

A couple years ago he was trumpeting his pitch detection "invention" based on bitwise autocorrelation using XOR. He said "I can't believe how great it works and how no one else has ever thought of this because it's so simple and elegant". I didn't have the heart to tell him:

1. It's not a new idea. The very first digital guitar tuners used precisely this technique. There's a patent from the early 80s. So, no, not new. Been around for about 40 years.

2. It doesn't work well. It's extremely prone to false octaves. You have to heavily filter the signal to prevent octave errors and even then it's not great. It useless for trying to find the period of a chord, even a simple one.

3. It exhibits considerable frequency error unless your sample rate is upwards of a MHz. Those old guitar tuners did essentially that. They used a single bit A/D (comparator) running at a very high sample rate. The error is up to one half the sample period. At 48 kHz your period error would be up to 10.4 us. At 440 Hz that's around 5 cents of error.

4. In general, if something seems simple and you "can't believe no one else has ever thought of this" it's almost assured that someone else has, in fact, thought of it. Only after doing this for nearly 40 years now am I at the point where I believe some of my ideas are actually unique. Over the years I've thought I was being clever only to find out someone had already done it before.

Ugh. This is Joel de Guzman's company. That guy is a bit naive about DSP and signal processing in general. He came on here years ago trying to tell me that video cards were the future of audio DSP. I tried to explain to him that audio DSP is inherently a sequential problem and that massive parallelism doesn't help you. It's the assembly line conundrum. Parallelism makes more shoes per minute but it doesn't make the pair you want any faster.
Yup, I remember that thread cuz I personally started it by posting his articles about it.

Anyway his pickup design seems to be good from what I've read from some users, even though I don't know how those can be useful for current hexaphonic processors (e.g. Roland GR series) since they should be used in place of normal magnetic pickup, their position would be too far from the bridge to be able to compensate for the distance

Interesting. It's a shame they don't have a humbucker format. Or am I missing something.

They make a "half humbucker" version of those, don't know much more than that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom