Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.07

Here we go. I ramble on about how I like to use the various comp types so hopefully there's some useful information somewhere in there.

This is EXACTLY what I needed to wake up to! Great job mate!

Compression is not quite my thing either unless with vocals or bass but you got some great USEABLE settings and some killer tones!

Gotta use that bumblebee strat more too! Sounds killer!! There happen to be quite a few strat lovers out here that I'm sure would agree with me haha

Here we go. I ramble on about how I like to use the various comp types so hopefully there's some useful information somewhere in there.

For myself I love compressors and gates. I use them on just about everything. In regards to the settings of the gates, I might suggest adjusting the bandwidth of the un-gated signal between 500 HZ - 1500HZ as a starting point. This will tighten up your sound even more and may possibly get rid of that sympathetic headstock ring you referred to.
In regards to the compression settings, many times less is more, especially when incorporating a faster attack time. This strategy, for me, works better especially when using a Strat and playing with more clean or full bandwidth EQ settings. Lower attack settings in the neighborhood of 1.1 to 1.3 ms with compression of 1.3 to 1.8 on hard attack allow much more pleasing volume increases especially when playing with some sharper ice-pick EQ settings. Then adjust the threshold to taste rather than increasing compression. Just my two cents in the discussion...

Turn on makeup gain.
Gonna have to try that. Hopefully won't end up like this:
s-l400.jpg

:D

Hmmm... I only recently got my III, so I have very little experience with the tube compressor. But these settings give me only 3 dB Gain reduction with a post-amp signal.

Compressor settings.png

I would definitely expect a -60 dB threshold and 2.58 compression to produce more compression. Any thoughts on this. It actually sounds like I want it to, so I am not complaining, just wondering. Is the compression control a 'ratio' control with an extremely soft knee perhaps?

Hmmm... I only recently got my III, so I have very little experience with the tube compressor. But these settings give me only 3 dB Gain reduction with a post-amp signal.

View attachment 65961

I would definitely expect a -60 dB threshold and 2.58 compression to produce more compression. Any thoughts on this. It actually sounds like I want it to, so I am not complaining, just wondering. Is the compression control a 'ratio' control with an extremely soft knee perhaps?
It depends on the level of the source too, if it's very quiet...

It depends on the level of the source too, if it's very quiet...
That is true - But this is already the level, I would use to run to out of the Axe and straight to FOH (Vol 1 at 100%), and I am not too far from clipping the output (but far enough :) )

Excellent as always Leon. Are you using the Return and Send blocks in the video just so that the preset is completely visible on the screen?

Thanks!
Dave

That is true - But this is already the level, I would use to run to out of the Axe and straight to FOH (Vol 1 at 100%), and I am not too far from clipping the output (but far enough :) )
I just threw that on my preset I had open and fairly leveled and it is doing like 16 dB

Edit: I changed my settings to match yours and it is 6dB

The Studio Compressor is really nice now. I compared it to my favorite hardware unit (dbx 266XL) and the Studio Compressor sounds and measures better (less distortion at low attack/release times).
I love that compressor too.
Damn...this is making me think I should be using one 'chain' in my Axe3 for live vocal effects (and compression)

I love that compressor too.
Damn...this is making me think I should be using one 'chain' in my Axe3 for live vocal effects (and compression)

@FractalAudio This is something I've been DREAMING for for YEARS!!! A FAS vocal FX box like the voicelive 3 extreme but with FAS stability and quality. The TC helicon one is great but not as stable, and the FAS fx are second to none. I'd love to see stuff like the looper, guitar amps/fx, scene and channel changes, ability to play backing tracks, automation and specialized blocks for vocals like de-essers, talk box, megaphone etc.

I've been planning to get two FM3's, one for vocals and one for guitar and trying to recreate all the voicelive stuff on the other FM3. Lots of work, but for singers who play or guitarists providing backup vox it's a big plus. Would be AMAZING to have them all in one box like the voicelive 3 extreme, BUT with stability of FAS firmware.

Back
Top Bottom