Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.07

I love that compressor too.
Damn...this is making me think I should be using one 'chain' in my Axe3 for live vocal effects (and compression)

I use mine for vocals (Inp 4) and guitar (Inp 1) and MP3/ipad loops (Inp 3) - feeding a CLR (out 1 which i can set/remove the vocals level from using Filter block) and a separate vocals only feed (out 2).

Need to play with the comp settings a bit more, not sure what Im doing with vocal compression yet (hence using global blocks to set all patches to the same vocal settings at the moment).

1586289042501.png

Hmmm... I only recently got my III, so I have very little experience with the tube compressor. But these settings give me only 3 dB Gain reduction with a post-amp signal.

View attachment 65961

I would definitely expect a -60 dB threshold and 2.58 compression to produce more compression. Any thoughts on this. It actually sounds like I want it to, so I am not complaining, just wondering. Is the compression control a 'ratio' control with an extremely soft knee perhaps?
Check the side chain page. What is the source set to?

I don't like to have my compressor kill my tone, but rather tame it. I've always used the studio compressor with the settings of threshold: -40, ratio 2.0:1 to 2.5:1, attack: 2ms, release 100ms, medium/hard knee. This gives me a subtle -3db reduction. My makeup gain is set to around 2. I've noticed a much smoother feel with this update.

I've gotta try the new compressor changes! It's the only effect that I haven't been able to get the same results as the FX8 and AX8, using the Studio compressor.

I don't like to have my compressor kill my tone, but rather tame it. I've always used the studio compressor with the settings of threshold: -40, ratio 2.0:1 to 2.5:1, attack: 2ms, release 100ms, medium/hard knee. This gives me a subtle -3db reduction. My makeup gain is set to around 2. I've noticed a much smoother feel with this update.
Almost exactly my settings ;)

Possible bug in the delay block. I always run my delays before the amp. After updating to 12.07, all of the delays are incredibly hot. Even running the mix down to 2% is still pretty loud.

I noticed that there’s an input gain knob, but I know I’ve never had to touch it in the past. Is it possible to get the delay’s gain level back to where it was in 12.05 where it reacts more like a real pedal in front of the amp? Maybe the input gain could default back to whatever the old level was, or have a “pre-amp/post-amp level” switch for proper gain staging and mix level accuracy.

Possible bug in the delay block. I always run my delays before the amp. After updating to 12.07, all of the delays are incredibly hot. Even running the mix down to 2% is still pretty loud.

I noticed that there’s an input gain knob, but I know I’ve never had to touch it in the past. Is it possible to get the delay’s gain level back to where it was in 12.05 where it reacts more like a real pedal in front of the amp? Maybe the input gain could default back to whatever the old level was, or have a “pre-amp/post-amp level” switch for proper gain staging and mix level accuracy.
There have been no changes to the delay block in quite some time. The last change was 12.03 and that was just to fix the clicking when using stack/hold.

Perhaps check the Global Effects Mix parameter?

www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/firmware-presets/axe-fx-3/12p0/axefxiii_dsp_rel_12p07.zip

Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Notes

Improved Compressor block. The RMS detector type has been improved resulting in smoother decay. The Auto Attack/Release algorithm has been improved resulting in less “chatter” when using low attack and/or release times. The Tube Compressor and Analog Compressor types now support RMS+Peak detector mode. A new knee shape algorithm in the Studio Compressor has been implemented resulting in a more musical tangential response like that of classic analog compressors.

Improved Downward Expander in Gate block. The RMS detector type has been improved resulting in smoother decay. Added Detector Type parameter which allows selecting between RMS (default) and Peak types.

Improved Multiband Compressor based on improvements to Compressor block. Added Auto Attack/Release mode.

Improved Astable LFO type so that adjustments to Beta, which can occur when changing channels, do not cause “baseline wander”.

FC: When navigating the editor or front panel, certain screens will no longer reset the value used by external modifiers for FC Pedals.
Just posted a new thread thanking Cliff and his team for continuing his work for all of us during this horrible pandemic. Hopefully he and all his guys/gals are able to these software and frimware updates from home. It is a treat to get this stuff when most customer service is pretty much turned off for now. LOVE my AXE FX!!

I may be "an" odd-man-out, but every FW since 10 up to 12.05, has been perfect for me, 12.06 was too hot and rolled back to 12.05, 12.07 is just right again. What might make me odd I guess, is I haven't changed(edited) from the preset I use. Two-Rock PAB, 2x12Blue, with a little delay, verb, and comp. Guitars are all Suhr Moderns(MAH, ASH, ALDER, BASSwd). Vol set betw 2-4, split bridge. Presonus S6 pair. I hear so much detail and nuance, it's inspiring and I'm having a blast! Owned every axefx since the Ultra.

Thanks Cliff for your expertise and dedication!

Perhaps check the Global Effects Mix parameter?
My global effects mix is at 100%. Is that correct? My internet won’t be back up until Thursday, so I can’t update to 12.08 to see if that somehow fixes things.

When I use a new delay block at default settings with Mix set at 15%, the first repeat is louder than my initial note. Setting the Mix to 50% in theory would be equal initial note and first repeat volume. At 50%, the delay is much louder than my original note. Setting the Mix down to 2% still has a very loud initial note. Do you get the same behavior? Is there another possible setting you can think of that may have been changed when I updated to 12.07?

My global effects mix is at 100%. Is that correct? My internet won’t be back up until Thursday, so I can’t update to 12.08 to see if that somehow fixes things.

When I use a new delay block at default settings with Mix set at 15%, the first repeat is louder than my initial note. Setting the Mix to 50% in theory would be equal initial note and first repeat volume. At 50%, the delay is much louder than my original note. Setting the Mix down to 2% still has a very loud initial note. Do you get the same behavior? Is there another possible setting you can think of that may have been changed when I updated to 12.07?
I had an internet issue the other day and I downloaded the firmware to my phone and then Bluetoothed it to my computer and it went fine.

Back
Top Bottom