Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.06 Public Beta (Beta 3)

Your settings will depend on the noise situation where you are. You have to find the settings that work for your situation.

It's like asking "How far do I have to move my steering wheel to make the next turn?" It depends on the turn.

Well yeah of course, I'm just wondering are people tending to do -50, -30, 0 dB, etc. I've never used something like that before and I don't know all the artifacts or issues or benefits.

So with my Strat it takes the edge off at -50, seems pretty effective without clamping down the town even around -30, but cranking all the way up seems to dull the tone. I'm curious what other people's experiences are.

Well yeah of course, I'm just wondering are people tending to do -50, -30, 0 dB, etc. I've never used something like that before and I don't know all the artifacts or issues or benefits.
That’s just it. What people are tending to do will depend on the noise issue they’re tending to have. Some people with single-coil pickups in noisy environments will have to use higher thresholds. If I said that means -30 dB (or any other number), I’d be lying. Because there’s not a magic number that works for everyone — or even for most people. People with humbuckers in less-noisy spaces can get away with lower thresholds. How much lower? That depends on how noisy their space is.

So with my Strat it takes the edge off at -50, seems pretty effective without clamping down the town even around -30, but cranking all the way up seems to dull the tone. I'm curious what other people's experiences are.
The noise gate won’t change your tone. Its job is to stop noise when your guitar is quiet. In general, you want to use just enough noise gate to get rid of the noise, but not so much that your sound fades out faster than the note you’re holding.

Last edited:

One approach is to play a single note and let it ring out. If the gate cuts in too early, back it off. Otherwise, crank it up.

One approach is to play a single note and let it ring out. If the gate cuts in too early, back it off. Otherwise, crank it up.
This. And also at the beginning of a note... If it doesn't have pick attack/definition back it off as well. Sometimes I'll have everything set well, but then if I roll my volume knob down I'll get to where it doesn't quite open the gate immediately... so I'll have to lower the gate a bit more.

Tip: You can even use the noise gate set 'too high' to get a bit of a violin effect ;-)

I'm chomping at the bit to update.. but I'm over-cautious and will wait for FractalBot to tell me there's an update..

Sounds like there may be another update coming for AE and the FC's so I'd like to get all at once if that happens..

Have fun ya'll!

We're sheltered in place for the next few weeks at least.. so hopefully I'll get some quality time to play again soon to make the most of a bad situation.

Stay healthy Everyone!

Yeah, the gate improvements are killer. All three types are harder on noise and kinder to your signal. And the new Noise Reducer type lets your notes fade as gently as you like. There's not a noise gate on the planet that beats this one.

FWIW... There was a workaround posted by one of the gurus (possibly @chris ?) on here that I have found very useful until the full fix is implemented. Just slightly increase the 'Scale' parameter from the 'Edit Modifier' screen in AxeEdit. This will allow you to get to the full 100% on any given parameter. The only downside is you will have to do this for each Modifier assignment that uses an expression pedal in all presets that you want to use. Sounds like the fix will be coming soon though. Hope this helps.

Yes, I have been using that method, but I’m still interested in the fix for my commercial presets!

Yeah, the gate improvements are killer. All three types are harder on noise and kinder to your signal. And the new Noise Reducer type lets your notes fade as gently as you like. There's not a noise gate on the planet that beats this one.

the gate types basically remind me of
the Decimator and HUSH circuits but even less intrusive

Haven't installed it yet, but just wanted to show appreciation for the noise gate improvement!

Noise is a big thing for me, especially in orchestral settings and the like, and I'm a single coil abuser! Ooops....mean user :p

So thank you again, your pursuit for excellence in this is truly appreciated!!

My FM3 article steps through ways to control things and discusses views and using them. It could help now that views are on the FC6.

https://axefxtutorials.com/fm3/fm3-footswitch-design-and-concepts/
Tip just discovered: setting a layout link (aiming to the same layout but not necessarily) on switches on the second view, takes you back to view 1 when you press them.

PS: This how I've setup my main layout, pressing P1-P4 selects a preset and takes me back to view 1

View attachment 65135
A LAYOUT is sort of like a preset for a foot controller. It defines the functions of 12 switches. In previous firmwares, only the FC-12 could use all 12 of the switch definitions in any layout. The others were "wasted" if you had an FM3 or FC-6.

A VIEW is a way for the switches of an FM3 or FC-6 to take advantage of switch definitions.

FOR EXAMPLE: Normally, the switches of an FC-6 would "map" to the switches 1–6 of a layout. When we change the FC-6 to View 2 (with a view footswitch or view link or by using Axe-Edit) the FC-6 shows switches 7–12 instead. Here's an animated GIF showing one layout with two FC-6 views.

View attachment 65142

In the example shown above, the FC-6 shows 5 effects and a "MORE>" button in View 1 (highlighted on the left). Pressing MORE> changes to View 2 (highlighted on the right) where we find five different effects, and a "<MORE" button to get back to View 1.

On the FM3, this kind of switching was borderline essential. Using views, the default layouts provides access to all eight scenes, ten effects, all looper functions, and much much more. Without views, we ran out of layouts rather quickly. Not only does this solution multiply the power of layouts, it allowed for consistency across products, and also gave FC-6 owners a super bonus with the ability to create a "virtual FC-12".

Thanks for the info guys

I visualise it is a table, where views go across and layouts go down. For FM3 owners, it looks like this:

Layout 1, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3Layout 1, View 2, Fsw 4,5,6Layout 1, View 3, Fsw 7,8,9Layout 1, View 4, Fsw 10,11,12
Layout 2, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3Layout 2, View 2, Fsw 4,5,6Layout 2, View 3, Fsw 7,8,9Layout 2, View 4, Fsw 10,11,12
Layout 3, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3Layout 3, View 2, Fsw 4,5,6Layout 3, View 3, Fsw 7,8,9Layout 3, View 4, Fsw 10,11,12
Layout 4, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3Layout 4, View 2, Fsw 4,5,6Layout 4, View 3, Fsw 7,8,9Layout 4, View 4, Fsw 10,11,12
... etc ...
Layout 9, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3Layout 9, View 2, Fsw 4,5,6Layout 9, View 3, Fsw 7,8,9Layout 9, View 4, Fsw 10,11,12

and for FC6 owners:

Layout 1, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3,4,5,6Layout 1, View 2, Fsw 7,8,9,10,11,12
Layout 2, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3,4,5,6Layout 2, View 2, Fsw 7,8,9,10,11,12
Layout 3, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3,4,5,6Layout 3, View 2, Fsw 7,8,9,10,11,12
Layout 4, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3,4,5,6Layout 4, View 2, Fsw 7,8,9,10,11,12
... etc ...
Layout 9, View 1, Fsw 1,2,3,4,5,6Layout 9, View 2, Fsw 7,8,9,10,11,12

Last edited:
I'm chomping at the bit to update.. but I'm over-cautious and will wait for FractalBot to tell me there's an update..
Seriously, you don't have to have doubt about every FW release just because it's not suggested by FractalBot.

I mean you might decide you're not comfortable with beta versions like this one, but you've posted similar things in several recent official firmware threads, too.

The updates are released on the forum ahead of the official download page but it's still official (for the non-beta).

And as long as you backup first (you always backup, right?) then you have nothing to worry about at all ;)

Installed and working with no issues so far. The new gate type is wicked.
I haven't been able to dial it in. The classic and intelligent gates close fine, usually set around -40 to 50, depending on the amp. But even setting the new noise reducer to 0 doesn't close the gate. There's always mild static.

Back
Top Bottom