Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.03

I know this isn't the right place to post this, but...

Updated to 12.3 Friday, and used Axe live today. I have a couple nice amps (Matchless and Welagen), and have used Helix and Kemper... and the tone I'm getting out of the Axe III is the best I've ever had. I'm using the Matchless D30 EF86 running in stereo (full pedalboard in front) and that model reacts to my pedalboard EXACTLY like my real HC30. Every Matchless DC/HC30 Kemper profile I've tried has something not quite right. Most have a harsh upper midrange, or don't compress right, or sound as full and meaty, with the right low mids, as the real amp... Not the Axe! It's so close to the real thing it made me forget I was using a modeler!

Thank you, Cliff and everyone at Axe for make such a great product and such great updates!

Last edited:
The improved amp modeling changes the sound a bit. But what is it? Better dynamics? Higher placebo impact? And how to maintain old sounds without resetting and reauditioning? Any guess?
Turning down dynamics seems to get you closer there, but that's not something I really want. You can never have too much of dynamic range, right?

didn't notice much difference at bedroom volume, but gigged it last night and there's definitely something going on. i noticed i slight change in eq. there's more highs, but they're super silky. the dynamics felt different too...more spongy, perhaps? the new ultra reverbs sound amazing as well.

Right. It's the highs/fullness that changed, although the dynamic reaction feels different.
Maybe I should simply lower some highs and add sone fullness and go gig with it. Simple and fast.

Amazing how Leon disects the most remote settings in a feature ........ and I haven't even got to the flangers yet! :oops:

Thanks much that worked.
I'm Not saying there may be issues downloading with Fractal Bot, but I have experienced this issue at times when downloading with Fractal Bot. Sometimes the download is corrupted and does not install correctly. But I have never had a problem downloading the firmware directly from the OP link and then use Fractal Bot to install. I now always download from the OP link and I'm 100% that way.

@2112 Leon, any time/desire to do a reamped A/B of 12.02 vs. 12.03, perhaps ranging from Fendery EoB to Voxy crunch to your fave djently? Also curious about the much talked about pick attack and harmonic improvements as well (if not entirely placebo ;)).

@2112 Leon, any time/desire to do a reamped A/B of 12.02 vs. 12.03, perhaps ranging from Fendery EoB to Voxy crunch to your fave djently? Also curious about the much talked about pick attack and harmonic improvements as well (if not entirely placebo ;)).
Yeah, I'd like to understand what the amp model changes were... I don't hear any difference in top end, but I thought I detected a slight difference in feel (but that could be me searching for something, haha).

I heard a difference in dynamics and clarity too, but I'm not sure if that was due to the new firmware or the acoustic absorbers I recently installed in our rehearsal room :sweatsmile:
Either way, the axe thru a power amp and cabinet really shakes the room like any good tube amp does.

Right. It's the highs/fullness that changed.

That's what I noticed. Slightly more highs and clarity, but a little less fullness. Before upgrading I had decided I needed to boost the highs a bit on my main presets, but after upgrading I didn't need to. I may try and dial the fullness back in a bit. Not sure yet.

That's what I noticed. Slightly more highs and clarity, but a little less fullness. Before upgrading I had decided I needed to boost the highs a bit on my main presets, but after upgrading I didn't need to. I may try and dial the fullness back in a bit. Not sure yet.
My ears must suck... I thought the tone on my Matchless preset was a little rounder on top, and not quite as full. I was looking for ways to boost highs last night.

Back
Top Bottom