Axe-Fx III Firmware 5 Beta - Mesa Dual Rectifier Tutorial

I'm almost positive that it's Cliff's 80's Mesa cab loaded with Black Shadow speakers. Every time "Cali" has been mentioned in previous Axe-FX's or even Cab Pack 14, it's been that speaker.
I know the Black Shadow speaker quite well as I have a few of them and I don't think it's a Black Shadow C90. That speaker has a very unpleasant high end at that 4-5khz area that's almost impossible to get rid of. It would be really good for cleans but for high gain I doubt people would like it much... the reason why I've never released it in a pack.

I actually found some free IR's on the internet.. maybe they were GuitarHacks or something that sounded really similar if not exactly the same as in those are where the Cali IR comes from. That cab is the Mesa Stiletto/Traditional 4x12 as in the same cab used for Cab Pack 7, the first pack I ever made with Fractal. :)

Random question, Miko model Lumix is that you have in the shot for camera B? I was actually browsing for Lumix cameras earlier today oddly enough.
I have to Panasonic G7 cameras and a wide angle lens that's on the main camera and the close up is actually the kit lens that comes with the camera. It's awesome bang for buck when I can shoot 30fps 4K video with two cameras simultaneously. I highly recommend it and I used be all about Canon but Panasonic is just killing it for video these days.

I know the Black Shadow speaker quite well as I have a few of them and I don't think it's a Black Shadow C90. That speaker has a very unpleasant high end at that 4-5khz area that's almost impossible to get rid of. It would be really good for cleans but for high gain I doubt people would like it much... the reason why I've never released it in a pack.

I actually found some free IR's on the internet.. maybe they were GuitarHacks or something that sounded really similar if not exactly the same as in those are where the Cali IR comes from. That cab is the Mesa Stiletto/Traditional 4x12 as in the same cab used for Cab Pack 7, the first pack I ever made with Fractal. :)

I never experienced the unpleasant high end you're talking about. Oddly enough, the only tube amp I ever owned had Black Shadow speakers. Didn't experience it then either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I never experienced the unpleasant high end you're talking about. Oddly enough, the only tube amp I ever owned had Black Shadow speakers. Didn't experience it then either. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Remember when I say unpleasant in can be a very minor thing. That speaker sounds more like an Eminence to me than a Celestion.

Mikko, I don't know if my ears are playing tricks on me (or hopefully I don't have hearing loss) but I tried setting this up exactly the way you did here and it sounds very low and boomy to my ears.

Or perhaps this amp is meant to sound like this and I'm just having a tough time adjusting?

I'm on FW 4.03 and playing direct through my DAW into my Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. This isn't the first preset that has sounded like this to me.. low, boomy and muffled sounding. I'm still relatively new to Axe FX and I'm still adjusting to the wide plethora of tones but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if it's my ears acting up or something else..

I recorded two clips of a Tool riff. Could you or anyone else listen to my clips and tell me what you think? One is a preset using the Recto settings Mikko presented in this video, the other clip is the tone I normally use (a panned IIC++ / Friedman). The IIC++ (left side) is actually something Mikko uploaded previously and I really enjoyed this tone. I guess, I'm trying to determine if something is wrong with my ears, my tones, or if I just prefer a particular tone over others. :)

Mikko, I don't know if my ears are playing tricks on me (or hopefully I don't have hearing loss) but I tried setting this up exactly the way you did here and it sounds very low and boomy to my ears.

Or perhaps this amp is meant to sound like this and I'm just having a tough time adjusting?

I'm on FW 4.03 and playing direct through my DAW into my Yamaha HS8 studio monitors. This isn't the first preset that has sounded like this to me.. low, boomy and muffled sounding. I'm still relatively new to Axe FX and I'm still adjusting to the wide plethora of tones but I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if it's my ears acting up or something else..

I recorded two clips of a Tool riff. Could you or anyone else listen to my clips and tell me what you think? One is a preset using the Recto settings Mikko presented in this video, the other clip is the tone I normally use (a panned IIC++ / Friedman). The IIC++ (left side) is actually something Mikko uploaded previously and I really enjoyed this tone. I guess, I'm trying to determine if something is wrong with my ears, my tones, or if I just prefer a particular tone over others. :)

Both sound pretty good, though the Recto sounds really bassy in that clip. Probably more to do with the IR used than the amp itself.

Both sound pretty good, though the Recto sounds really bassy in that clip. Probably more to do with the IR used than the amp itself.

Thanks for your input, I was starting to question myself. Mikko's clip on the video sounds bottom heavy to me as well, but not nearly as much as my clip. I ran through several IR's and couldn't find anything that worked for me. It's hard, the more IR's you audition in a row the more confusing it can become. Perhaps my ears get tired fast...

Last edited:
Hey! Bottom heavy is normal for a Recto. You can always lower the bass even more which is what I'd recommend instead of raising the presence or treble. You can run many real amps with bass on zero and they sound great like Mark V and Orange Rockerverb etc. :)

Hey! Bottom heavy is normal for a Recto. You can always lower the bass even more which is what I'd recommend instead of raising the presence or treble. You can run many real amps with bass on zero and they sound great like Mark V and Orange Rockerverb etc. :)

Thanks, I'll do some more experimenting. The problem is I find the more I fiddle with settings the more my ears get tired and things can start to sound muffled... must be old age. My poor tired ears. :p

I'm loving the new firmware and especially the Dual Rectifier. I don't see enough people using this amp sim and I think the reason is that it's misunderstood in so many ways so I thought I'd make a tutorial since I've owned a Dual Recto for most of my life.

So keep the gain down. Keep the presence down. Don't overdo it. If only people could get past the image that the Dual Rectifier tread plate look gives you that it's supposed to be only for metal, I think more rock players would use these. Many do from Foo Fighters to Tremonti etc.

Excellent video and a good/practical video to clarify!

Something else the Cali IR helps with. Most of the the other Mesa IRs are total fart machines.
I'll hunt down that Cali IR because I think I found it once before from the Guitarhacks Mesa Stiletto IR's. If it is one of them then it's shot with a tube power amp and has amp color in it.. meaning that if you use the IR with your Fractal you're getting the power amp modeling twice in your chain. Is your power amp modeling on?

Here's the Guitarhacks pack: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

I'll hunt down that Cali IR because I think I found it once before from the Guitarhacks Mesa Stiletto IR's. If it is one of them then it's shot with a tube power amp and has amp color in it.. meaning that if you use the IR with your Fractal you're getting the power amp modeling twice in your chain. Is your power amp modeling on?

Here's the Guitarhacks pack: http://relivethefuture.com/music/patches/GuitarHacksImpulses.rar

My power amp modeling is always on. It may have been shot with a tube power amp, but I've never noticed any unpleasant coloration to the tone of the IR.

My power amp modeling is always on. It may have been shot with a tube power amp, but I've never noticed any unpleasant coloration to the tone of the IR.
Can you check those IR's behind that link if they're similar? The power amp color may not sound bad, it's more of a case of things being realistic.

Back
Top Bottom