Axe-Fx III Firmware 5 Beta - Mesa Dual Rectifier Tutorial

ML SOUND LAB

Cab Pack Wizard
Vendor
I'm loving the new firmware and especially the Dual Rectifier. I don't see enough people using this amp sim and I think the reason is that it's misunderstood in so many ways so I thought I'd make a tutorial since I've owned a Dual Recto for most of my life.

So keep the gain down. Keep the presence down. Don't overdo it. If only people could get past the image that the Dual Rectifier tread plate look gives you that it's supposed to be only for metal, I think more rock players would use these. Many do from Foo Fighters to Tremonti etc.

Keep the presence down.

Usually every recto owner's first lesson... It's good that you made this video, because it's not all that intuitive. I feel like when dialing in a recto, you turn knobs to fix problems, as opposed to turning up what you want to hear. A recto pretty much just does the recto sound, nothing else does it quite the same. You just have to let it be itself

Usually every recto owner's first lesson... It's good that you made this video, because it's not all that intuitive. I feel like when dialing in a recto, you turn knobs to fix problems, as opposed to turning up what you want to hear. A recto pretty much just does the recto sound, nothing else does it quite the same. You just have to let it be itself
That's exactly right. Don't use the EQ for adding, use it to subtract.

Thanks for the video. Always fun to see how everyone achieves their Recto sounds. I've always struggled with the Axe Recto models in comparison to my Tremoverb.

Any Lo or Hi cuts in the cab block? (nice cab pack btw) :D

Great vid. I’ve always struggled with the recto’s. They’ve always been to bass heavy for me but I’ve also struggled with the real amps the few times I’ve had the opportunity to mess with them.

So keep the gain down. Keep the presence down. Don't overdo it. If only people could get past the image that the Dual Rectifier tread plate look gives you that it's supposed to be only for metal, I think more rock players would use these. Many do from Foo Fighters to Tremonti etc.
Did a double take watching Fleetwood Mac and saw one behind Lindsay Buckingham.

Thanks for the video. Always fun to see how everyone achieves their Recto sounds. I've always struggled with the Axe Recto models in comparison to my Tremoverb.

Any Lo or Hi cuts in the cab block? (nice cab pack btw) :D
Hi and thank you! No filters in the Cab Block... sometimes I forget to raise the high cut that defaults to 10khz high cut.

Are those 85/15 pickups in your PRS? I think the tones in the vid are great, but I feel like it never sounds the same when I dial it in on my Axe Fx. I'll give it another try today. I don't know if I've ever tried the presence at 0, since it's the opposite of what I'd normally want to do with an amp that's so bottom heavy. Anyway, thanks for the tutorial!

Are those 85/15 pickups in your PRS? I think the tones in the vid are great, but I feel like it never sounds the same when I dial it in on my Axe Fx. I'll give it another try today. I don't know if I've ever tried the presence at 0, since it's the opposite of what I'd normally want to do with an amp that's so bottom heavy. Anyway, thanks for the tutorial!
I think all my PRSs have HFS/Vintage Bass pickups. Settings the presence to zero actually changes the character of the treble. You get a neutral even high end instead of that unpleasant scooped thing.

Orange is less compressed/more dynamic. I pair it with the OG Cali IR. Oddly, none of the new Cali IRs pair as well, to me anyway.
Then information on the original Cali IRs is a bit random? Is it from an unknown source meaning that it's unclear what cab it really is? There's no real cabinet called Cali right? So if it's a Mesa cab... which cab and what speakers?

Then information on the original Cali IRs is a bit random? Is it from an unknown source meaning that it's unclear what cab it really is? There's no real cabinet called Cali right? So if it's a Mesa cab... which cab and what speakers?

It's a legacy IR, so who knows if it's even the same cab as the one that was shot for the new Cali IRs. All I know is the OG IR is monstrous.

Back
Top Bottom