Axe-Fx III Firmware 2.05 Public Beta

My first impressions on the new bass amps.
The SV Model is a lot gnarlier than before and the power amp seems to break up sooner. The extra grit makes it sound fatter and meaner overall. The master volume is a lot more sensitive - turning down to around 3 seems to get a cleaner tone. Around 5 it gets a mild breakup and quickly gets dirtier as you go to 6 or above. The mids sound slightly tweaked to my ears - although I have to say that it feels very different from the previous SVT model, in a good way.

The Portabass has that Ampeg characteristic but is definitely cleaner but can get mean when pushed. Has very different mids and I'd say this is great for fingerstyle players. There's a certain low mid that should cut through on rounder, finger style songs (has that Motown vibe).

Cab room sounds great, floor reflections sound great, mic spacing is predictable and balanced again, IR phase graph is F O K I N B R I L L I A N T, just using factory recto IRs it doesn't matter how dark or woofy the capture is, if you lay it on top of another IR, any IR, you can line them up in such a way to get so much clear natural high end chime out of it, and it automatically lines up the low register and low mids at the same time when you get it tuned. 2.05 beta is invoking the involuntary laughter again, I can't wait to try it out with some non-min phase redwirez. Can we add the 1-2-3-4 mic distance values somewhere on the graph page

Cab room sounds great, floor reflections sound great, mic spacing is predictable and balanced again, IR phase graph is F O K I N B R I L L I A N T, just using factory recto IRs it doesn't matter how dark or woofy the capture is, if you lay it on top of another IR, any IR, you can line them up in such a way to get so much clear natural high end chime out of it, and it automatically lines up the low register and low mids at the same time when you get it tuned. 2.05 beta is invoking the involuntary laughter again, I can't wait to try it out with some non-min phase redwirez. Can we add the 1-2-3-4 mic distance values somewhere on the graph page
That’s what I’ve been saying.. the Cab Block is phenomenal. I’ve been messing around with dual amp and dual cab setups, and with the channel switching been doing a lot of really fantastic sounding stuff within the stereo field. Having the four channels is a godsend too.

excuse me, but I feel the need for a hale and hearty HOLY SHEEEEITBALLS for how good this beta sounds! The cab block upgrades are fantastic (floor reflections RULE and the Align may be the coolest and mo9st useful implementation of that color screen on the III (cant wait to see it on AxeEdit III IN 4K) ), and with all the very newest amazing sounding IRs from Mikko, Justin, Bonkers and Kevin ,
Things are thumping in my modest noise room . Thanks again to the guy who keeps inventing this stuff before our eyes, and may the discomfort of your meniscus be minimal.

I've been playing with the new cab block features and it sounds good however, I don't know what everything is or what I should be using for my heavier metal stuff. Most features seem self explanatory and its probably a use your ears approach but any tips or tutorials would be nice if someone has the time. I get the room reflection but what about air and room or hall size settings? Are these settings for live or just studio? When lining up the IR 1,2,3,4, colors on the graph, mine are really close to each other and have a straighter line in the low end thump area but spiraled through the mids and highs so if I line them up tight in the straighter area is that what is best? I don't normally use the room settings but would love to learn.

I've been playing with the new cab block features and it sounds good however, I don't know what everything is or what I should be using for my heavier metal stuff. Most features seem self explanatory and its probably a use your ears approach but any tips or tutorials would be nice if someone has the time. I get the room reflection but what about air and room or hall size settings? Are these settings for live or just studio? When lining up the IR 1,2,3,4, colors on the graph, mine are really close to each other and have a straighter line in the low end thump area but spiraled through the mids and highs so if I line them up tight in the straighter area is that what is best? I don't normally use the room settings but would love to learn.

I haven’t messed with any of this new stuff yet - looks like I have stuff to learn :)

Maybe I’ll wait for Axe Edit...

I can’t comment on the alignment stuff, I haven’t used it yet, I’m one of the ones that relies on AxeEdit as the unit is 10ft away & kinda tucked away. However I did run over and edit the Cab Block right quick to A/B/C the new Floor Reflections at Off/1/2 up/All the way up. Btw, this is also tied into the overall Level % on how much of it you hear. The difference between the Shape (Hall/Room) (to my ears, this is not anything official) would be the time of the reflections. You can test this out by turning up the Size & Level parameters all the way and then flipping between Hall & Room. You’ll hear it.
Air I believe I read mixes in some direct signal. I never used it on the II, but am finding it useful in small amounts on the III.

I love the new floor reflections paramater, tried on the fender amp style.
Combining with the room and air levels, i LOVE it!
I really feel like I'm standing next to a real cab. it's a huge sensation!
it seems that there are some small problems of graphics refreshment on the side of the alignment graph there for information.
Thanks a lot Cliff

I generally never install beta firmware, but I made an exception here to try the SVT. And it's much much better, so thank you for that! My only wish would be that the three-position mid switch be added as a selectable option.

The Portaflex is also very nice, but since my sum total of time with the real thing is probably about four hours spread over 40 years, I can't speak to its authenticity.

I generally never install beta firmware, but I made an exception here to try the SVT. And it's much much better, so thank you for that! My only wish would be that the three-position mid switch be added as a selectable option.

it's more likely that you'll end up with 3 different models

Reworked SV Bass amp model. Model is now based on a 1970 Ampeg SVT with 6550 power tubes and the midrange switch in position 3.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I would love to have a model with the 6146B power tubes, but IME (having owned a late '69 with 6146's) there isn't a blow-me-away difference.

Curious if you can clarify -- what channel was used (normal or bright) and where the ultra-hi and ultra-lo switches were set to please?

Edit: Also, (I just finished reading OP, got excited about the SVT update and the PortaFlex) -- hope your recovery is going well :)

Where is the control switch menu? I'm able to assign a control switch as a modifier but there's no tab in the controllers menu. Anyone else getting this?

Where is the control switch menu? I'm able to assign a control switch as a modifier but there's no tab in the controllers menu. Anyone else getting this?
You can assign per-preset CS values in the per-preset area.

Back
Top Bottom