Axe-Fx III Firmware 2.00 Public Beta #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
To clarify: the default value of speaker compliance is 50.0% (release notes show 5.0... I'm guessing was changed to a %).

(Figured out the old fashioned way... just create a new amp block and check) :)

Quick little video showing you where to find new treats from the front panel.

Hey Leon - go figure - in **this** quick demo I **can** definitely hear the impact of the Speaker Compliance.

As the S/C goes up, the low-end-and-low-mids get a lot less flubbly and much tighter ...... and the highs get a whisker rounder too ....... nice.

I'll be back home in a few days so look forward to trying this out in person.

Thanks again,
Ben

huge improvement speaker compliance, seems to sound a more organic and realistic

If it is in fact measuring non linear aspects and changing dynamically
The impedance that’s a huge step forward from the static IR

I remember Cliff a few years back IIRC. Saying the non linear impedance behaviour was the last piece of the puzzle
He had ideas how to do it but at that time did not have the processing power and cpu for such calculations
Perhaps this is the beginning of that plan

Any more detail on what Speaker Compliance is, and the physics behind that?...
(sitting on my PC now, I will review this for more understanding)

Since I am working full time with these kind of stuff (loudspeaker nonlinearities), maybe I can shed some light on this mysterious parameter:
See, a loudspeaker is a highly nonlinear device. Just like mentioned before, trying to push the speaker "inside", you will see that you need more and more force as you pushing it in. The same is true for the opposite direction, but obviously, it's easier to verify if you push it in :)
The term for this effect is "stiff", since, you need more force to get the same displacement, depending on the position of the speaker. "Stiffness" represents the inverse of compliance - the less compliance you have, the stiffer is the speaker. And, as seen from the stuff I've written before, this depends on displacement.

So what's the deal with this effect?

See, an impedance just simply states a relation between voltage and current. So, as current drives the mechanical parts of the speaker, a voltage is induced back (called "back EMF") because of the speaker movement. In other words, the compliant mechanical load also affects the electrical side. This will result in a dynamic impedance change, which will change the behavior of a current coming from a power amplifier. Mind this depends on displacement, a mechanical parameter. Thus, to model the interaction on the power amp side correctly, you have also to model the behavior of the (dominant) mechanics. Apart from that, a change in compliance will also dynamically shift the resonance frequency of the loudspeaker, since resonance frequency depends on the compliance.

Hence, even on a guitar speaker, you can leave this parameter on, since a guitar amplifier would have to work with the same changing load.

Note: since this nonlinearity depends on displacement, you will have this effect more pronounced on notes giving you more displacement. However, displacement will drop by 12dB/octave above the (linear) resonance frequency of the loudspeaker (see the mechanical lumped parameter model on this, it's a second order system).

I suspect you won't hear any effect on higher frequency notes, but it gets more pronounced on the lower notes. You shall hear it as a dynamic increase in perceived bass, from a spectral point of view (at least this is the effect on the speaker side).

Compliance isn't the only nonlinearity, but one of the most pronounced with a high impact.

(Edit: Just added a little bit more about the relation of the mechanics to the electrical side - I was just implying to much)

Last edited:

Testing the improved whammy in firmware 2.00. Amp model is not really djent friendly : it's the Dumble ODS-100 HRM. Recorded with a .Strandberg* 0riginal 7, my first 7 strings, received two days ago.

A 7 strings guitar is something completely new for me, and besides that, what I play here is sometimes terrible, my apologies ! my picking hand is almost dead so all I can do is tapping to compensate...

Nice technique! Well done!!!

Added “Virtual Capo” type to Pitch block. This is a simple one-voice pitch shift that is intended for drop-tuning and virtual capo use and is easy to configure and use.

Changed Pitch block behavior so that when selecting Whammy or Virtual Capo types the Mix is automatically set to 100%, otherwise 50%.

This is great! Cant wait to try it.
Thanks Cliff and FAS team.

Just out of curiosity (since I don't own an Axe-FX 3 yet, and it came to my mind):
Anyone tried how the Compliance parameter behaves depending on the Negative Feedback?

I just assume that they may interact pretty nicely.

Still having an issue with the value button press not taking me back to the grid... feel like i'm taking crazy pills. anyone else? sometimes i have to press 3 - 4 times... then it just does. latest beta, any patch any block etc....

Still having an issue with the value button press not taking me back to the grid... feel like i'm taking crazy pills. anyone else? sometimes i have to press 3 - 4 times... then it just does. latest beta, any patch any block etc....
Not happening here. Maybe the switch is going wonky.

To clarify: the default value of speaker compliance is 50.0% (release notes show 5.0... I'm guessing was changed to a %).
Can we get this clarified? I thought the default was 0.0
So with the new, we need to increase 5.0? Is that correct?
Perhaps if everyone agrees that this is best, maybe we could ask for a global auto increase? Rather than manually changing 300 presets.

Perhaps if everyone agrees that this is best, maybe we could ask for a global auto increase? Rather than manually changing 300 presets.

The value is set to 0% for existing patches, which results in no change to your tone.

When you create a new amp block, the default value is now set to 50%.

IMO, this is an *outstanding* way to roll out a new feature: there is no change to existing patches, so we can upgrade without disrupting gigs, etc! (And no reason for you to manually change any of your presets--you only use the new feature if/when you wish)

Everyone is not going to agree though. Better to have current stuff stay the same and if people want to make use of it, then turn the knob to where they think it sounds best.

If I like it better at 25% what would be the advantage of it being 50%? I’d still have to change 30O patches, same as if it was 0%. Though realistically I don’t use 300 patches so not really a likely scenario, but still, you get the point I hope.

Essentially, I’d a parameter was universally “better”, then it wouldn’t even need a knob. Cliff could just say it’s improved, fixed value, no questions asked. There is no one right setting though so some may keep it at 0, some 50% and some will turn it to 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom