Axe-Fx III + FC + NI Maschine = mind blown

Well I have pro tools and no clue how to use it. Daws take a lot of time investment and honestly see now benefit over maschine. They are about the same price as some daws. 600$ new used a lot cheaper and you could do live still with a good finger drummer and has soooo many more possiblities than traditional drums. Whole new world

Maschine is a sampling drum machine that has a great hands on physical interface for loop/pattern based creation, and can load vsts, effects etc too. It’s limited to a finite number of tracks though and wouldn’t be my choice for traditional recording and mixing down of a complete arrangement.

I often will route Maschine into my DAW, Ableton though, and Maschine can run in a midi mode where it becomes a nice tactile interface for the DAW software.

You can do some pattern based stuff in a lot of DAWs these days too, so the line is kind of blurring, and Maschine is becoming a bit better arranger too with its new modes and features.

I like maschine for simpler stuff since I can work with it and don’t need to use a mouse or look at the pc screen. Great for ideas and backing stuff too, but if I’m wanting to layer guitar tracks, vocals etc I’ll track into Ableton.

Well I think you are way more daw proficient than I, good sir. I find I like maschine workflow as it is quicker for ideas and creativity like you said. I used to have ableton. I got as far as being able to record a track. All that other stuff I may not have cause I use lite. I’d rather buy gear than software. I hope the maschine sounds.com integration doesn’t lower the quality of their kits they are unique and sometimes I remove a few leads and just use the stock patterns they have that hip hop flavor I’ve requested they add more rock kits and guitar centric stuff they thought I was genius for using it for guitar recording. I knew it was a matter of time before others had the same idea. But yeah at first it blew my mind and I don’t even have the foot controller

I have a midi cable from midi out of maschine mk3 to midi in of axe.. but i have no clue what to click or change to get the axe to receive tempo sync from maschine.. there is literally zeroness besides this thread about what i'm trying to do there are videos of each thing seperately but not how to sync them both..

maschine is set to master i thought that was all i had to do, in axe-edit someone said use a midi block i cant find any midi block and in settings and stuff theres not much there.

..This piece of kit has been on my radar for a couple of years now.. You have given me another excuse to pick one up! Thanks!

..This piece of kit has been on my radar for a couple of years now.. You have given me another excuse to pick one up! Thanks!
Dude it’s totally worth it. You can get one for pretty cheap on eBay make sure they agree to do the license transfer. It’s teally easy for buyers you just put in a code. To me this is ultimate convienient recording almost feels like cheating. I only know four piano chords but with a cheap midi keyboard you can sound like Beethoven

Dude it’s totally worth it. You can get one for pretty cheap on eBay make sure they agree to do the license transfer. It’s teally easy for buyers you just put in a code. To me this is ultimate convienient recording almost feels like cheating. I only know four piano chords but with a cheap midi keyboard you can sound like Beethoven

Have you been able to use it for looping?

Have you been able to use it for looping?
Yes. My guitar loops are pretty simple. The faster the bpm the tighter your playing has to be but I’m at 120 with rhythm guitar and higher for leads. You slice up your riff and assign them to pads then record your chopped up riff from the pad or do as I do and just use the metronome to play guitar to and make one big loop per riff it’s easier that way. You can truncate your riff anywhere to sync it to bpm but if your timing is off it will show if it’s bad but mediocre is acceptable maschine has swing value you can set to kind of jazz up the drums and make them more loose

Just got done recording actually I’m up to about 5 or six guitar parts with this tune I finished today but they are layered with synths. It’s hard not to push the edm vibe with this tool at your fingertips I like adding sub bass keeps me from buying and learning bass guitar.

I’d like to post my tracks for critique I hate SoundCloud so will try bandcamp. I export straight to wav from maschine then online convert to mp3

Yes. My guitar loops are pretty simple. The faster the bpm the tighter your playing has to be but I’m at 120 with rhythm guitar and higher for leads. You slice up your riff and assign them to pads then record your chopped up riff from the pad or do as I do and just use the metronome to play guitar to and make one big loop per riff it’s easier that way. You can truncate your riff anywhere to sync it to bpm but if your timing is off it will show if it’s bad but mediocre is acceptable maschine has swing value you can set to kind of jazz up the drums and make them more loose

Just got done recording actually I’m up to about 5 or six guitar parts with this tune I finished today but they are layered with synths. It’s hard not to push the edm vibe with this tool at your fingertips I like adding sub bass keeps me from buying and learning bass guitar.

I’d like to post my tracks for critique I hate SoundCloud so will try bandcamp. I export straight to wav from maschine then online convert to mp3

I guess my question is...Can you use it as a traditional looper where you hit record, then play a riff and then hit play to truncate and add layers? Also can you use your foot controller record play functions etc?

I guess my question is...Can you use it as a traditional looper where you hit record, then play a riff and then hit play to truncate and add layers? Also can you use your foot controller record play functions etc?

There are several looper modes where each additional recording is its own layer, or where it saves them as “takes” but doesn’t play unless you select it etc. lots of ways of working

You can also use a pedal to record the loop, hold it down to delete the most recent etc

The foot controller thing I am not sure. It may be doable with midi. I use detect mode and it just picks up anything over a certain threshold you set. Don’t really need a FC. there are a few vids on YouTube but very basic. I’d like to make a vid but all I have to record is cellphone I don’t know how to get anything to record maschine and someone playing the guitar to it without like. Erm. Microphones. Meh I have a non mic di setup. But you would need to mix you monitors and mix the video audio. Anyone have an idea how to make high quality vid?

I don’t think there is a midi control for starting the loop recording, you need to use the foot switch jack on the Maschine hardware.

However, there is a work around if you have Bome midi translator software. You can have Bome convert a midi message to a mouse movement and click so when you send a midi control, it moves your mouse and clicks the onscreen “record” button. Pretty cool stuff, but I find it easier just using a cheap foot switch to start recording.

I think we need some videos from you, Todd.... thanks
Yeah, todd

I spent yesterday building a site for my axe and maschine tunes I have the ability to host vids but if I made one it would be with my cellphone. Who’s got the capability to do better? Answer:everyone with any video camera ever made

Back
Top Bottom