Axe-Fx III + FC + NI Maschine = mind blown

lqdsnddist

Axe-Master
Been working on redoing my workspace and have gotten some of my keyboard and stuff all out again and updating them etc, as is nice to do every now and again. My NI Maschine sampling drum machine is one such item that I really haven’t been keeping up to date on. I’ve owned a version since like 2010 or so, but they have given it some really cool new features and paired with the Axe III and the FC my head is kind of spinning there is so much cool stuff you can do with....

For example, the Maschine has an awesome live looper mode, where it’s tempo synced, and each additional loop layer is also synced and assigned to its own drum pad, so you can layer upon layer, turn them on/off as you please, AND, you can do this with a switch hands free, plus, you can change tempo and it stretches your audio to follow tempo without changing the pitch, ala Ableton, and of course you can save these for later, load new stuff etc

Then with the Control switches you can send midi commands to change the scenes/patterns playing, so from the FC you can control any different backing loops, layers, synth patterns etc, and of course this can also work via Scene midi with the III, so you can change a scene and not only change your guitar tone, but also the drum patterns etc!

Super cool, because I never liked a sequencer controlling my scenes and stuff. I want to be in control of when parts change, I want to keep a section going a few more bars before a bridge etc, well now it’s all possible. The old way can be cool too if course but just never was for me, didn’t like feeling my lead boost was going to kick in if I wanted it not, know what I mean ?

Of course also being able to send tempo to the Axe is pretty cool for syncing the delay tempo etc to the backing tempo and having that all synced nicely, as is having the Axe tempo match the looper tempo.

Plus, since the Maschine can host VST’s as an audio effect with live input, that means I can run my Axe guitar parts through crazy modular effects racks in Reaktor etc, then back into the Axe since it’s got I/0 to spare...

Then of course you can also do all the Maschine audio channels through Axe blocks so those awesome FAS reverbs etc can be used on synth parts etc

And since Maschine has 8 tracks you can select on the fly, you can have your audio input looping guitar parts, select those in the fly and then just change track with one button and tap in some drums from the pads, and of course the Axe will be synced to all of it AND, by using some exp pedals you can adjust the levels of the I/O so you can stand there at your FC, bring in backing patterns, turn loops on and off, fade the levels in and out etc

I basically knew a lot of this was possible but never fully hooked everything together, and didn’t know some of the new looper modes etc

As I said, I’m kind of blown away from the sheer potential of this combo right now....E1352AD1-0F15-4CCC-9C8C-A4377703817D.jpeg

Looks like a lot of fun.

I recently discovered the AI drummers in Logic Pro X. Mike the Overly Loud Drummer has well and truly been replaced by a small shell script.... B)

It's a fun combo! I've got a Maschine too and it's the easiest instrument I've ever learned although I'm a million miles from mastering it.

I also love this combo. I have maschine mk3 an axe fx 2 xl and s49 mk1. I am a bedroom studio now.

Can you please explain how you sync your axe bpm to maschine bpm? I would love to know if my axe 2 and maschine mk3 can do this

I also love this combo. I have maschine mk3 an axe fx 2 xl and s49 mk1. I am a bedroom studio now.

Can you please explain how you sync your axe bpm to maschine bpm? I would love to know if my axe 2 and maschine mk3 can do this
Does the maschine have a midi beat clock? If so, connect it's midi Out to the midi In of the Axe Fx. It will then follow the tempo...

Does the maschine have a midi beat clock? If so, connect it's midi Out to the midi In of the Axe Fx. It will then follow the tempo...
It has midi in and out as well as midi clock sync. I would love to see a video on this but it’s not me. It’s very cutting edge to this hillbilly

It has midi in and out as well as midi clock sync. I would love to see a video on this but it’s not me. It’s very cutting edge to this hillbilly
It needs to send midi beat clock. The term "midi clock sync" could mean it simply syncs tempo from another device.

I don't have one so I can't provide a video...

I would love to see a t
It needs to send midi beat clock. The term "midi clock sync" could mean it simply syncs tempo from another device.

I don't have one so I can't provide a video...
it can send it can act as master or slave I think I set maschine to master

As Unix-guy said, just set the Maschine to act as the master and send midi clock, via midi cable to the Axe. The Axe can only work as a slave.

Normally I use Ableton Link to sync all my PCs, ipad etc, as it works over WiFi local network and is more solid with best and tempo, but, for simply using Maschine as a drum machine, backing player, midi works fine, and it’s fun to have your delays, tremolo rate etc in time with the track bpm

Do t forget you also want midi out of the III if you want to use CS or scene changes to send midi messages back to Maschine, or Ableton etc

You can basically make your FC switches in a midi transport control for your DAW etc which is really cool, and why I’ve been asking so badly for more than 6 CS, as I’d love to have a layout just for transport control, one for midi bypass looper controls for external pedal etc. I could find a use for tons of CS

Do t forget you also want midi out of the III if you want to use CS or scene changes to send midi messages back to Maschine, or Ableton etc

You can basically make your FC switches in a midi transport control for your DAW etc which is really cool, and why I’ve been asking so badly for more than 6 CS, as I’d love to have a layout just for transport control, one for midi bypass looper controls for external pedal etc. I could find a use for tons of CS
I don’t have a three I have a two xl it has midin in out

What settings do I need to set in the axe software ?

I don’t have a three I have a two xl it has midin in out

What settings do I need to set in the axe software ?

I think you can still have it slave to external clock, but, I don't think the II has the scene midi block, or the ability to send midi via CS ?? I do think the MFC can send midi commands though, but not send clock

I haven't owned a II in over a year so I'm a little rusty remembering

I think you can still have it slave to external clock, but, I don't think the II has the scene midi block, or the ability to send midi via CS ?? I do think the MFC can send midi commands though, but not send clock

I haven't owned a II in over a year so I'm a little rusty remembering
Ok will giver a go. Ty for the help. All I rlly need is slaved to maschine atm I am complete midi rookie and use the maschine software as my daw

It’s nice to see someone else finding hardware that nearly eliminates need for a drummer. They steal all the chicks anyway. Trade ya my maschine mk3 for axe fx3. Straight up. Money is just a control mechanism 🤪

Logic Pro X's built in drummer tool has replaced my old way-too-loud drummer with a small shell script. I just found it last week.
Well I have pro tools and no clue how to use it. Daws take a lot of time investment and honestly see now benefit over maschine. They are about the same price as some daws. 600$ new used a lot cheaper and you could do live still with a good finger drummer and has soooo many more possiblities than traditional drums. Whole new world

Back
Top Bottom