AXE FX III/FC Midi Program data

Does anyone know if the Axe FX III with the FC controller offers the ability to transmit midi program information (control other midi devices)?

Yes - asked and answered a number of times. The Axe Fx III will have a "midi" block... however, we don't really know anything about the limits or capabilities of the midi block.

Oops! I guess I missed it. Thanks, (see below)

MIDI In, Out and a dedicated Thru provide easy integration with other gear in large stage rigs. Extensive MIDI support along with a dedicated MIDI block allows the Axe-Fx III to be the central hub of a MIDI-connected setup.

I think I read that it can transmit midi on preset and scene changes.

What would be good to know is if a button on the FC can trigger the midi block to transmit when there is NO preset or scene change. This would be major for people controlling outboard gear...

I think I read that it can transmit midi on preset and scene changes.

What would be good to know is if a button on the FC can trigger the midi block to transmit when there is NO preset or scene change. This would be major for people controlling outboard gear...

Many things are possible. It's a question of resources and priorities. Something like that is probably not too difficult.

Many things are possible. It's a question of resources and priorities. Something like that is probably not too difficult.
Excellent to hear that! Personally, I don't have a need at the moment - all my requirements are inside the box - but I know people who would want that ability, for certain.

I am thinking about keeping my Mfc-101 for midi control of outboards only, and use my fc to control my fx iii. Might make my stage control simpler and give me many more options than I have now. Plus would force the keyboard player to give me another 12” of stage space!

Midi blocks could open many opportunities. If a footswitch has a very limited midi library, a midi block could take a single PC and covert it to a stream of different midi messages to computer or outboard gear that listens to midi. Gordius is creating a tiny add-on unit that does this. The III could do the same or better with midi blocks if Fractal wanted to go down that rabbit hole. Multiple midi blocks could be programmed where each is doing a desired stream or macro. Those blocks could be saved as favorites and inserted/re-used into presets that need them. They could control various LEDs, screen display, etc. in the new footswitches, and much more.

From what I've experienced, outboard midi gear has shrunk into the computer. Performing guitar players who use computers to augment their gig really need a footswitch that can communicate with a computer. I believe this is a great innovation opportunity (I've believed that for 12 years). I see many DJ finger/hand interfaces that interface with computer. What I don't see are footswitch manufacturers diving into the same space. Most just skim the surface.

Computers don't have midi ports; footswitches don't have USB out or a midi interface built in. If the III had an optional add-on module/panel (like Metric Halo does) that contained a full 2x2 midi interface with standard USB out to a computer, that would be really innovative. That combined with midi blocks would be powerful for shows that rely on automation or functions enabled by midi.

All of the above is why I went with a Gordius Little Giant - I know people are sick of hearing me blab about it, but it's quite innovative: It has a 2x2 midi interface built in, USB out to computer, cable routing, all the midi language, command streaming, macros, on-board commands for LED & screen control, conditional logic, etc. If there were a way to combine that with the axe-fx in a floor unit, I'd slip into a geargasm coma for a month.

Again, the unit hasn’t been released yet.

Obviously, but I don't see how changes anything? It may or may not be implemented in the future, but it looks like it hasn't been, so far. It could happen to unreleased products, and to released ones.

The point is that development continues until the product is released. It's premature to definitively say what it can and can't do.

I think you guys are getting overly defensive here. I'm not attacking you or the product here.

And even after the product is released development will continue. It doesn't mean we can't talk about actual, missing or desired features. :)

I think you guys are getting overly defensive here. I'm not attacking you or the product here.

And even after the product is released development will continue. It doesn't mean we can't talk about actual, missing or desired features. :)
Talking about actual, missing or desired features is encouraged. Declaring a feature as present or missing without knowing that it's present or missing — not so much. Even we beta testers don't always know what's coming, and there's a whole month left before we expect units to ship.

I didn't say it wasn't coming. I said it's apparently missing now. I have no idea whether it is planned to be here when the firmware hits final or not. And I still don't really get what's wrong with discussing that, sorry. If it will get there by that time - awesome.

Back
Top Bottom