Axe-Fx III Factory Presets Release 19.04

Fractal said "no" the last time someone asked.

Updating the presets takes a lot of work, weeks worth, with multiple people working on it. It's not something to be taken on lightly.
Now they know how we feel... LOL.... Just kidding.. Love the firmware updates.

Change them for yourself now. No need to wait for someone else.
I think the requests for an update to the presets using Dyna-Cabs is the result of choice-paralysis or maybe feeling like they lack the knowledge of how to use the interface, how the different mics behave and sound, and how mic movement affects the sound.

Searching for "miking a guitar amp" on the Internet pulls up many pages talking about microphone choices and how their positioning affects the sound. From that point some fiddling with the Dyna-Cab interface while banging out chords will reveal what's happening as the mic moves.

Much easier to move a mic around rather than scroll through 2000 “presets”.
SO much definitely! A quick count of just three of my packs shows over 120,000 IRs. :-/

Well, I have already done that for all my personal presets, with excellent results, which is much better than I expected.

The overhaul of factory presets using dyna-cab to replace old IRs would be a significant demonstration of the power, quality and versatility of the new Dyna-cab, I think that will be really exciting.

Sure, it’s a lot of work but I suspected that has already started, and it doesn’t necessarily have to be finished within a single release, eg a subset of the factory presets should start being updated with it as time goes by.

I would like to hear the results of the factory presets with Dyna-Cabs from the big boys here. As I don’t bond with the Dyna-Cabs, feeling that they lack that mid push and organic sound I get from old IRs. I’m sure it’s user error, and listen to the recipes of the golden ears here would help me lot to understand how to dial those in.
Yes I know, you will tell me to simply move the mics until it sounds good. But so far, no satisfaction. 🤷‍♂️

I get why people new to the unit would like a factory preset to match the latest and greatest, but it’s a bit of a futile quest. They’re not going to sound “perfect” or “ideal” - they’re not even going to sound the same as they do to the creator, taking into account different monitoring, guitars, style, fingers, humidity, atmospheric spice count, etc.

So there’s really not a huge amount of value in updating them for every new firmware, regardless of the stupendous amount of work involved, since you would still have to tweak them anyway (not even mentioning gift of tone!)

They’re there to be a demo, starting point, inspiration, etc, and the fact that they were designed by some true legends is something to be appreciated. They are pretty much gig-ready with a few personal adjustments. Most devices’ presets are utter crap thrown in by an overworked techie as an afterthought.

I guess new users who might be overwhelmed might like a plug-and-play solution to get jamming before fully learning the unit, but even as they are, the existing presets already do this job to an outstanding degree.

So there’s really not a huge amount of value in updating them for every new firmware, regardless of the stupendous amount of work involved, since you would still have to tweak them anyway (not even mentioning gift of tone!)
I don't think anyone requested for them to be updated every release, but I think it would make sense to update them for the major releases (i.e. Cygnus X-3).

People use the unit differently, I personally love pulling up a random factory present and enjoying or learning about an amp/effect I wouldn't normally use.

Some of the new amp models, like the new AC-30, the Revv Amps, the 2203/2204, Brit Studio are exceptional and I believe they deserve a factory preset to expose more users to those models (if those users happen browse the presets in the 1st place, which I imagine is fairly common for new users). I feel the same way about DynaCabs, Aurora Delay, new Church Reverbs, heck even the updated noise gate. Those are some amazing additions that are unfortunately not included in the current roster of factory presets. So again, some new users may miss out on them.

IMHO @Burgs and @2112 have done an outstanding job of sharing presets when a new model/effect is introduced, I believe those are worthy to be included as factory presets. I feel the same way about all the Gift of Tones, those should be included as factory presets. I remember back in the days of the Digitech GSP 2120, the Artist edition presets were actually branded on the unit itself.

At the end of the day its a catch 22, maybe having no factory presets would have been better. But the fact that they exists makes you sort of hope that they're maintained/updated to a certain degree once in awhile.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom